OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 01:54:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Living in Monastic Community  (Read 663 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: September 04, 2010, 05:37:56 PM »

I'm wondering if any of you have any experiences with living within a monastic community as a layperson. That is, dressing as you normally would (albiet if you are a woman, relatively modestly in skirts or dresses all the time and possibly headscarf all the time), and yet taking part in all the services (or at least as many as possible), and contributing towards the support of the community by helping with the work and perhaps helping the monastery supplement their income by  volunteering to make products to sell, etc.

Does anyone know if such an arrangement is possible, and has anyone tried it for themselves?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 06:20:04 PM »

I've stayed in a few monasteries for a few weeks-not many, but long enough that I was given work to do.
I didn't attend all the services only those that I felt like, though. Neither do the monks themselves attend everything.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:23:13 PM »

Yes, I have.  I have stayed at two Greek Orthodox Monasteries.  Each one I stayed at for about a week.  You simply live as as the monastics do and also as a good guest to another's home.  I attended all services save the ones occuring while I was doing an obedience. 

Having pilgrims that stay longer than a night or two gives monasteries help they can use.  It is beneficial also to the pilgrim spiritually.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:26:27 PM »

Bless and Forgive are two very important words for both monastics and those staying at monasteries.  Indeed, amongst all Christians.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:44:42 PM »

Thanks for your imput so far, dear folks! Actually, I was thinking more of a long term stay, and wondering if it would be possible. Perhaps one could go at first just for a visit to see it the fit is good, and then stay progressively longer, if all went well?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 07:50:46 PM »

I understand what you are asking Rosehip.  I actually know of three laypeople who *live* on a monastery.  I don't know how they cover their expenses while living there or what led them to live there and be accepted by the abbot, but it is possible.  From what I understand though, these people had strong ties with their respective communities before moving there. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 10:18:08 PM »

i just finished living at a monastery for 10 months actually. i dressed normally, went to all the services, and did whatever obedience the abbot gave me. my life was essentially the same as that of the novices at the monastery except i had not made that level of commitment. so it is definitely possible to do this -- just has to be worked out with the abbess.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »

Well, when you are considering whether or not to pursue the monastic life you stay there for a period of time before you can be tonsured. Our priest's son stayed at a couple different monasteries before he decided upon the one he is not tonsured at.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 06:58:37 AM »

A friend of mine used to spend his summer holidays in Monasteries.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 08:57:11 AM »

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'm not interested in getting tonsured-just in living in a community as a layperson and contributing toward the work as a way of paying room and board and survival.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 10:33:45 AM »

I met an older couple (their kids are grown up so they have no more worldly responsibilities) who have been living around Holy Protection Monastery in Pennsylvania. They had been there a couple of months so far when I met them. They were interested in entering monasticism but I think the abbess was having them spend some time as laypeople to just test the waters. They were not living on the monastery proper, but were taking care of the old monastery grounds which were a little off in the woods and staying in the guesthouse. I imagine a similar arrangement could be made in some places for laity who just want to stay awhile and help out with work around the monastery. 

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags: Monastery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: