OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 11:01:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monastery of Tathev, Armenia  (Read 875 times) Average Rating: 0
vasnTearn

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church

« on: October 15, 2010, 05:46:43 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNooRxcVQBY&feature=player_embedded

Just watch it. Only half-listen to what the reader says Smiley, as he sometimes says nonsenses.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 05:49:36 AM by vasnTearn » Logged
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 01:49:34 AM »

I would imagine part of the nonsense would be what is said starting at 7:20.  I can't imagine the monks allowing that.   Shocked

Have you ever been there?  It seems like a beautiful place!

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 02:05:35 AM »

I would imagine part of the nonsense would be what is said starting at 7:20.  I can't imagine the monks allowing that.   Shocked

laugh laugh laugh

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
vasnTearn

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 06:36:03 AM »

I'm glad you have had some fun at this video's narration. Didn't you also listen to the wonderful story of Armenian horses that existed 3000 years ago? That information is so important to know more about an Armenian medieval Christian monastery. And the story of the "fantastic" 9 meter long jump on the horse by the Urartuan king Menua which was recorded on a stone in a CHURCH near lake Van  Grin So, there were Urartuan churches, really fantastic!!  laugh laugh
These wonderful stories are told starting at 2,38. The "fantastic" jump on a horse and its record in a CHURCH at 3,20 or so. I'm thinking, is it possible that the monks of Tathev were somehow involved in those Urartuan horse affairs, at the lake Van at that, that is in today's Turkey's territory, themselves being in the territory of today's Armenia  Huh Very interesting!!!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:39:06 AM by vasnTearn » Logged
vasnTearn

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 06:54:45 AM »

Have you ever been there?  It seems like a beautiful place!

Unfortunately, I haven't been there because of my laziness Sad. But the place is really beautiful, as the photos, videos and people tell. There is another old but smaller monastery too, near Tathev, in those mountains, hidden somewhere. It was for nuns. In Armenia, usually the monasteries for women were built not far from the monasteries for men. I don't know why, frankly speaking.

Now the state has built a long cable railway (or rope-way, I don't know which is more correct) in Tathev, the longest in the world, they say. They want to attract tourists to those mountain places and because of this they will also renovate the old buildings of the monastery of Tathev. The last thing is good, of course. But the father monk and those few deacons with him that serve in the monastery are sad for making the monastery an attraction place for tourists.

http://www.aysor.am/en/news/2010/10/12/tatev/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:06:56 AM by vasnTearn » Logged
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »

There is another old but smaller monastery too, near Tathev, in those mountains, hidden somewhere. It was for nuns. In Armenia, usually the monasteries for women were built not far from the monasteries for men. I don't know why, frankly speaking.

I've heard of that and just assumed it was perhaps for protection during times of invasion or other danger.  Could that be it?

Now the state has built a long cable railway (or rope-way, I don't know which is more correct) in Tathev, the longest in the world, they say. They want to attract tourists to those mountain places and because of this they will also renovate the old buildings of the monastery of Tathev. The last thing is good, of course. But the father monk and those few deacons with him that serve in the monastery are sad for making the monastery an attraction place for tourists.

http://www.aysor.am/en/news/2010/10/12/tatev/

I was sorry to hear about the cable tramway (I think that's what it's called, but I'm not sure.)  A monastery should be an isolated place and not a place for tourists.  Hopefully those who come will come with the spirit of pilgrimage, not tourism.

I have another question:  You mentioned that there is a monk and a few deacons there.  Is there a movement now to reinhabit the old monasteries?  I know they have been restoring some of the historic monasteries and that there seems to be a renewal of monasticism in Armenia.  How many of the ancient monasteries are again being inhabited by monks?

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 08:39:53 PM »

http://www.armenianchurch.org/index.jsp?sid=3&nid=1666&y=2010&m=9&d=18&lng=en

Above is the link to the statement of His Holiness about the aerial tramway.

Like I said, I do hope those who travel there will go as spiritual pilgrims, not as tourists.

Here's a picture:

raffisx

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Church

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 08:04:20 PM »

My Ancestors are form Syunik province , G_D willing i will make my journey to this part of Armenia in my life time .

Raff
Tags: Armenian Church Monastery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: