OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 02:37:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nasty Comments  (Read 970 times) Average Rating: 0
Greg C

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: October 19, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »

I posted a question on this forum in hopes to get some insight and help in improving our relationship with the coptic club at a university. Instead, I got accused of being narrowminded, and others came on and said some really nasty things to each other.
You people should be ashamed of yourselves! Get off the computer and start actually living the Christian life!
Instead you hide behind the Internet where it is safe for you to pass judgements on others and where it is safe for you to express your psychological pathologies.
Go see your priest, go to repentence and get therapy!
I'm leaving this stupid board.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 12:49:03 PM »

I posted a question on this forum in hopes to get some insight and help in improving our relationship with the coptic club at a university.

Disclaimer: EO-OO relations are not my strong suit.  In my OCF chapter in college, which had both EO and OO members, I got into a debate with the OO priest who insisted that the wine made at Cana by Christ was Grape Juice (because Christ would never make alcohol).

That said, I went back and looked over the thread you are referring to, and the impression I got is that you don't appear to be looking to, "get some insight and help in improving our relationship," but were rather looking for support in how to tell them that they're doing things incorrectly.  Granted, I think you're probably right in some of your concerns, but it seems to me that the people in the thread sniffed out this intent pretty well and responded in kind (either by giving you the support you were looking for, or questioning the accuracy of your observations, both appropriate responses on a discussion board where things are discussed).

Instead, I got accused of being narrowminded, and others came on and said some really nasty things to each other. 

I didn't see the narrow-minded accusation (but then again my reading was more cursory than thorough).  Yes, people can be mean, but I didn't see too much of that in the thread.

You people should be ashamed of yourselves! Get off the computer and start actually living the Christian life!

Ahh, judge and jury now?

Instead you hide behind the Internet where it is safe for you to pass judgements on others and where it is safe for you to express your psychological pathologies.

I find the above statement to be ironic.

I do think confession is an under-utilized sacrament in the Church; however, the need to participate in the sacrament is dictated in the relationship between penitent and priest, not here.

I think you're being a bit hasty in your departure, but what do I know?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 01:04:21 PM »

well, if your going to take that attitude with the board, then perhapse this forum is not the right place for you.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 02:38:23 PM »

Thanks for stopping by!
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 05:05:31 PM »

Welcome!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 05:22:41 PM »

I posted a question on this forum in hopes to get some insight and help in improving our relationship with the coptic club at a university. Instead, I got accused of being narrowminded, and others came on and said some really nasty things to each other.

Lol. Come on now, fess up, this is a parody of a new convert, isn't it? I'm guessing you're aiming for a male in their late teens or early 20's? The part about being Antiochian was an especially nice touch--such zealous faithfulness to tradition from someone in ROCOR or the GOC would have been expected.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:23:27 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 05:23:34 PM »

Greg C, please stay. Its takes a little while to get settled in and unfortunately thread topics do wonder off from time to time. But I believe you have a lot to contribute and will enjoy your time here.

If anything, you can at least offer your prayers and support to people in the prayers forum.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 07:31:23 PM »

Greg,

The other thread did get off topic and somewhat nasty, but I don't think the nastiness was directed at you.  That sort of thing happens here sometimes.  You had a rough start here, but you are by far not the first to have a rough start.  I wouldn't let it get to me.

Don't be so quick to leave.  There are plenty of sections here, and you might want to try some of the others out.  Read other threads in some other sections, such as the Faith Issues Forum, and I think you'll like things enough to stick around.   Smiley

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 07:40:09 PM »

"People don't have opinions here. Were are fully supporting of all your points of view."  Grin

I'm going to need this.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »

"People don't have opinions here. Were are fully supporting of all your points of view."  Grin

I like it.  TU
Father H
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »

Asking high maintenence people to stay is enabling and reinforcing their self-centered tendency to manipulate. 
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »

That's why I'm still around.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Father H
Archon

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 08:51:21 PM »

That's why I'm still around.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

That's not why you are still around.  You are still around because you have a level head and a decent disposition.   Your presence is appreciated here, not only by me but by others. 
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 08:57:06 PM »

Well, like I said, Greg is not the first to have a rocky start here.  I'm sure if he decides to stay he'll make an effort to be level headed.   Smiley  It takes a while to learn the subculture of a forum and how the interaction goes.  If Greg wants to give it another try, he is welcome to do so.   Smiley

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 03:35:59 AM »

Disclaimer: EO-OO relations are not my strong suit.  In my OCF chapter in college, which had both EO and OO members, I got into a debate with the OO priest who insisted that the wine made at Cana by Christ was Grape Juice (because Christ would never make alcohol).
There is a wine that is made at home  in some parts of the Middle East and Eastern Europe, which is very weak and watery, and is pretty close to being like grape juice.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 02:50:52 PM »

Thanks, FatherHLL!  I'm blushing! Smiley

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: