OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 09:15:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Akathists  (Read 1512 times) Average Rating: 0
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« on: February 29, 2004, 02:23:25 PM »

I know that the Akathist to the Mother of God is sung on Akathist Saturday, and that the Akathist to the Resurrection is done on Pascha. When else are akathists sung? Saints days? When, for example, would the Akathist to Jesus be sung in church? Thanks!

In IC XC,

Matt
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 03:33:46 PM »

While Akathists are associated with certain periods and are prescribed for certain times there are no rules against saying a particular Akathist at any time.

The Akthist to Jesus that has become popular in recent years can be said at anytime. Just like a Molibien or Parakilisis, the Akathist is one of those services can be said to in honor and ask for intersession from that saint at any point of the year.

Here are a couple of hypothetical examples.

A monastery named after Saint Hierilambilos, whose feast day occurs during the Great Fast, has many visitors for pilgramage on St. Thomas Sunday since that is the patron of thier Chapel. So since there is nothing liturgicaly specified for Hierilmbilos for that weekend an Akathist to him is served on Saturday afternoon.

In large city the Orthodox parishes decide as a group to participate in World Prayer day. So all the parishes gather at one of the Orthodox parishes and pray the Akathist to Jesus since there is a likely hood that many non-Orthodox may be present.

An OCF at State University meets on Sunday evening at the campus minsitries center. They have dissusions and dinner but there are some times when a priest can not be there. In order to be consistant an Akathist service is decided to be used every Sunday night since the students can take turns reading the Akathist when the priest is not able to be there.

These are all examples of why an Akathis may be choosen to be served. As you can se it is a service of great flexibility since it can said with almost any of the daily services are by itself.

Joseph
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 10:26:49 PM »

Cool, thanks!

Matt
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 01:01:54 AM »

Matt,

You asked when an akathist is "sung" so I am betting that you mean celebrated in church.  In case you mean used, not just sung in church here is a tidbit.  

The Russian rule of prayer before Communion usually includes three canons and an akathist.  This is part of one's personal preparation before communion.  Akathists are commonly read as part of private prayers, especially among the Slavs.  This is attested to by their inclusion in private prayer books.  

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 05:27:58 PM »

I know that the Akathist to the Mother of God is sung on Akathist Saturday...

What is the history/significance of this practice in the EO churches?

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 09:58:48 PM »

Tony,

I was asking about when their used in church, but I was curious about other times, too. Thanks, you da' man. Smiley

Matt
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 10:00:16 PM »

Oh, where's the edit button Wink. I meant "they're" instead of "their."
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 11:11:44 PM »

My priest does the "Akathist of Thanksgiving" on Wednesday evening the night before our American Thanksgiving on the last Thursday in November.  It was composed by Protopresbyter Gregory Petrov shortly before his death in a prison camp in 1940.  It's called "Glory to God for All Things," the title from the words of Saint John Chrysostom as he was dying in exile -- a song of praise from amidst the most terrible of sufferings.  It's entirely appropriate at our American Thanksgiving holiday, since "giving thanks" is what we Orthodox are supposed to do!

"Akathist" literally comes from the Greek meaning "standing up" ("a" indicating the negative or opposite + "kathistos" meaning "sitting down" --- the similar root makes the word "kathedra" or "cathedral" -- the seat of the bishop.)

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: