OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 04:42:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very angry  (Read 1048 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: September 03, 2010, 07:11:11 PM »

I'm having a lot of internal anger.  It's really destroying me on the inside, and it's tied in with a lot of pain, past and present, related to my circumstances.  It also seems to be responsible for my physical pain and stiffness in my back and elsewhere.

Could you please pray that God take the anger away from me and that God heal me of evil memories so that my body heals subsequently?  

I've been reading a series of (non-Orthodox but good) books on how our thoughts and repressed ANGER, ANXIETY, FEAR and SHAME can result in actual physical bodily symptoms of chronic pain and stiffness.  I think this hits the target for me, since the doctors don't really know what's wrong with me.  

I'm feeling a lot of anger towards God and the saints, and towards other people, for not helping or be able to help me with constant pain for years, and even for sometimes adding to the pain.  

I've confessed my anger during confession but haven't noticed anything different.  It's not ON-THE-SPOT anger but is as though stored within me and cannot be dispersed but only accumulates.  
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 07:13:03 PM by StGeorge » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:30:14 PM »

I understand what you mean. I have always struggled with anger. Once I tackled my anger with other people I allowed my anger to turn inward to myself. Remember that being angry with yourself for being angry at others is extremely unhealthy too. I have found the Jesus prayer extremely helpful in this area.

Lord, have mercy!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:36:38 PM »

I'm sorry to hear this. 
Don't get angry...have pity for those who can, but aren't helping...for God is taking notes.

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:35:17 PM »

Lord have mercy!
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 09:21:53 PM »

I'm having a lot of internal anger.  It's really destroying me on the inside, and it's tied in with a lot of pain, past and present, related to my circumstances.  It also seems to be responsible for my physical pain and stiffness in my back and elsewhere.

Could you please pray that God take the anger away from me and that God heal me of evil memories so that my body heals subsequently?  

I've been reading a series of (non-Orthodox but good) books on how our thoughts and repressed ANGER, ANXIETY, FEAR and SHAME can result in actual physical bodily symptoms of chronic pain and stiffness.  I think this hits the target for me, since the doctors don't really know what's wrong with me.  

I'm feeling a lot of anger towards God and the saints, and towards other people, for not helping or be able to help me with constant pain for years, and even for sometimes adding to the pain.  

I've confessed my anger during confession but haven't noticed anything different.  It's not ON-THE-SPOT anger but is as though stored within me and cannot be dispersed but only accumulates.  

Have you seen a nutritionist, and has anyone spoken to you about fasting as the one sure cure for anger?

I suffer from fully compressed disks and sciatica and am in constant pain and do not medicate because I think the consequences of pain medications are worse than the pain in the long run, and I'd like to make the long run if I am able.

I have noticed that diet is very important and especially if you are going to fast strictly as a spiritual medicine.  A prayer discipline helps as well. 

Very often panic and anxiety are caused by deep seated anger.  Your caregiver seems to have already told you that your own body could be toxic from the emotions that you harbor.  That is why I suggest a nutritionist.  I don't use a whole lot of supplements.  I eat mostly wholefoods, little meat-mostly broths, fish and nothing processed, including most drinks that are packaged outside of my house.  I have one tea that I will buy and drink occasionally.  All the supplements I use are easily available and not expensive at all. 

Well...I'll leave it at that and ask for Jesus to bring you healing and peace.

Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

I do understand you, too. People generally call me a very soft-natured person - I am always smiling, and I am nice to others, etc. But there are certain things (related to situation in my country of birth) that always stir emotions in me, including the emotion of anger. In this highly emotional state, I can say things to people that probably ought not be said. Later, I might console myself that I was fighting for the "right cause" (and perhaps I was), but these emotions hurt people and they also hurt and destroy me.

There is one very strong prayer to the Theotokos where we ask Her to "banish from us... despondency, forgetfulness, folly, carelessness..." and to "deliver us from many cruel memories and deeds, freeing us from their bad effects." It looks like the Church knows that She can help us in that, with Her holy and most powerful prayers.

Love never fails.
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:35:08 PM »

Have you seen a nutritionist, and has anyone spoken to you about fasting as the one sure cure for anger?

I suffer from fully compressed disks and sciatica and am in constant pain and do not medicate because I think the consequences of pain medications are worse than the pain in the long run, and I'd like to make the long run if I am able.

I have noticed that diet is very important and especially if you are going to fast strictly as a spiritual medicine.  A prayer discipline helps as well. 

Very often panic and anxiety are caused by deep seated anger.  Your caregiver seems to have already told you that your own body could be toxic from the emotions that you harbor.  That is why I suggest a nutritionist.  I don't use a whole lot of supplements.  I eat mostly wholefoods, little meat-mostly broths, fish and nothing processed, including most drinks that are packaged outside of my house.  I have one tea that I will buy and drink occasionally.  All the supplements I use are easily available and not expensive at all. 

Well...I'll leave it at that and ask for Jesus to bring you healing and peace.

I've tried all kinds of supplements and vitamins and nothing helps.  I feel more ill when I fast for extended periods of time.  Before I started having all these problems, I ate all kinds of foods, no category restrictions, and didn't have any problems.

The books I'm reading now emphasize that it's not a PHYSICAL problem with the body but a PSYCHO-SOMATIC problem, in the sense that the physical symptoms are real but are created by the brain in an attempt to take focus away from emotional and psychological pain.  It makes a lot of sense for me, since the doctors have given no clear diagnosis.  The rheumatologist said no arthritis so far as he can see, but the constant stiffness I experience in my back is muscle spasms.  Well, what is causing the constant muscle spasms, I asked him.  He had no answer.   
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:37:21 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

I do understand you, too. People generally call me a very soft-natured person - I am always smiling, and I am nice to others, etc. But there are certain things (related to situation in my country of birth) that always stir emotions in me, including the emotion of anger. In this highly emotional state, I can say things to people that probably ought not be said. Later, I might console myself that I was fighting for the "right cause" (and perhaps I was), but these emotions hurt people and they also hurt and destroy me.

There is one very strong prayer to the Theotokos where we ask Her to "banish from us... despondency, forgetfulness, folly, carelessness..." and to "deliver us from many cruel memories and deeds, freeing us from their bad effects." It looks like the Church knows that She can help us in that, with Her holy and most powerful prayers.

I've probably heard this prayer many times, but do you have a link for it complete?  It sounds like the St. Ephrem prayer during the Great Fast.  

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:38:10 PM by StGeorge » Logged
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 12:07:54 AM »

http://www.monachos.net/forum/showthread.php?3789-Prayer-rule-against-evil-thoughts

Prayer iv

This prayer to the Theotokos can also be found in the Morning Prayers according to the Jordanville prayer book.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 12:21:41 AM »

I have had anger issues since late June of this year due to not being able to control my fate (e.g. some aspects of my life are already fait accompli and I don't want to waste time postponing the inevitable or raising false hopes). 

As someone recently told me, everything is "small stuff" in hindsight.  While that message runs counter to Orthodox Christian praxis, the best thing is simply to let go and if one is able to incorporate prayer and fasting into the "letting go" process, then so be it.

Lord have Mercy.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 12:30:49 AM »

Lord have mercy.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 04:53:19 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Phoenix73
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 06:38:03 AM »

Lord Have Mercy
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

May my Dad's Memory be Eternal.

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 09:27:13 AM »

I too was incredibly angry - but had turned that anger inward, as I did not want to harm anyone else with it.  

Through the His Grace, he put the right people in my life to show me that I needed to grieve.  Anger is one of the steps in the grieving process and I got stuck, afraid that I would anger God or hurt someone in my anger.  There were many many losses I had left without mourning - the cap was the death of someone I cared about deeply.  I didn't know how to grieve properly - as my childhood was not such that I could learn.  Many of the losses were losses I never considered to be losses. . .they were very difficult to recognize - until I had guidance.

Who knows what it is, but in my witnessing my own path, I'm convinced that He is more than able to not only help you, but permanently, completely heal you.  

Lord have Mercy.  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 09:28:18 AM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 03:07:36 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 07:28:15 PM »

Lord Have Mercy...Amen Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 07:51:15 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: