OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 09:55:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would the Pope Be Infallible If He Became Orthodox?  (Read 23714 times) Average Rating: 0
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #450 on: September 21, 2010, 02:41:17 AM »

Because, of course, only those dirty, filthy Americans would be crude and lustful enough to stoop to the level of artificial birth control (I can only assume this is what you are implying); righteous and upstanding Europeans would never stoop to such levels of debauchery.

The Americans were the first, the pioneers in this field. Then came Western Europe and now American capital is forcing on Eastern Europe, American-style religion and morality.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #451 on: September 21, 2010, 03:08:51 AM »

Because, of course, only those dirty, filthy Americans would be crude and lustful enough to stoop to the level of artificial birth control (I can only assume this is what you are implying); righteous and upstanding Europeans would never stoop to such levels of debauchery.

The Americans were the first, the pioneers in this field. Then came Western Europe and now American capital is forcing on Eastern Europe, American-style religion and morality.
When they were under Communism, many Eastern Europeans thought that they wanted American style culture. Perhaps now many of them are having second thoughts.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #452 on: September 21, 2010, 08:51:16 AM »

When they were under Communism, many Eastern Europeans thought that they wanted American style culture. Perhaps now many of them are having second thoughts.

Hmm, either fight liberal birth control or deal with the highest abortion rates under the Soviets. Both are caused by economic conditions. I think you can figueout which one was for being poor. Oh well, the soviets at least tried to stamp out religion and replace it with the state. Oh wait. That was a BAD thing...

I'm going to need this.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #453 on: February 02, 2011, 10:00:05 PM »

Deleted.  Wrong thread.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:06:23 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #454 on: February 02, 2011, 11:03:08 PM »

lulz @ forcing.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #455 on: February 02, 2011, 11:17:19 PM »

Oh really?  ABCs were used in ancient Mesopotamia and the Soviet Union was at the forefront of doling out artificial birth control to its citizens long before some idiot principals in the United States started handing out condoms to school students. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #456 on: February 03, 2011, 11:37:40 PM »

The Pope is infallible because he is orthodox.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #457 on: April 03, 2011, 10:41:52 AM »

Would the Pope Be Infallible If He Became Orthodox?

The real question is, would the Orthodox be infallible if they followed the Pope?

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #458 on: April 03, 2011, 11:30:38 AM »

The real question is, would the Orthodox be infallible if they followed the Pope?

And the answer is:  drum roll

Nobody is infallible without the Holy Spirit and the Church....

Smiley...Amen!!

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #459 on: April 03, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »

Smiley...Amen!!
And the Bishop of Rome as Supreme Pontiff and Successor to the Prince of the Apostles sometimes exercises this charism of the Church by virtue of his office.  Grin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #460 on: April 17, 2011, 03:31:45 AM »

Smiley...Amen!!

I don't think they would be, but that's just me...

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
ativan
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Georgian Orthodox Church

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #461 on: April 17, 2011, 03:44:54 AM »

That is not what the dogma Papal Infallibility teaches AT ALL.
For the Pope to teach infallibly, he must be intending to teach as the Pope, ex cathedra.
This is completely out of my rich. What is so special with cathedra? How come popes are filled with grace only when they sit on the cathedra? I'm actually very interested with details of it. When a pope sits on the cathedra Holy Spirit is descended on him and when he gets up the Spirit lives him, is this so? Or how does it work?

Also very interesting questions, at least to me, are 1) If the sitting on the cathedra makes popes infallible why don't they sit on it frequently? 2) Or why did they not pronounce the dogmas of papal infallibility and filioque ex cathedra? Smiley
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #462 on: April 17, 2011, 03:52:01 AM »

Smiley...Amen!!

Wow!  A full frontal assault on papal infallibility from a Byzantine Catholic!

From the infallible definition: "...and consequently that such definitions of the Roman Pontiff are irreformable of their own nature (ex sese) and not by reason of the Church's consent."

"It should be observed in conclusion that papal infallibility is a personal and incommunicable charisma, which is not shared by any pontifical tribunal. It was promised directly to Peter, and to each of Peter's successors in the primacy, but not as a prerogative the exercise of which could be delegated to others."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07790a.htm#IIIB
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #463 on: April 17, 2011, 09:23:28 AM »

Easy question to answer.  No.  They would no longer be Orthodox.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #464 on: April 17, 2011, 10:29:32 AM »

If the sitting on the cathedra makes popes infallible why don't they sit on it frequently?

Because, as you can see on this picture, Bernini forgot to install some kind of stairs or a ladder leading to it. Wink
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:30:07 AM by Michał » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #465 on: April 17, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »

Smiley...Amen!!

Wow!  A full frontal assault on papal infallibility from a Byzantine Catholic!

From the infallible definition: "...and consequently that such definitions of the Roman Pontiff are irreformable of their own nature (ex sese) and not by reason of the Church's consent."

"It should be observed in conclusion that papal infallibility is a personal and incommunicable charisma, which is not shared by any pontifical tribunal. It was promised directly to Peter, and to each of Peter's successors in the primacy, but not as a prerogative the exercise of which could be delegated to others."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07790a.htm#IIIB

laugh laugh laugh

Not really.  Since his is the court of LAST resort, it is true that once he has consulted with his bishops and looked at the long tradition of the Church, in order to make his decision, THEN it cannot be overturned by current dissenting bishops or future bishops who say..."Welllll...maybe not..."...Kinda like a true universal council.  Once it is done.  It is done.

And yes, the Pope is the singularity that makes that decision when it is incumbent upon him to do so...and you should be very happy...because the latter paragraph says he can do so without catering to the Curia...I think that one is a good idea personally, but then maybe I am more familiar with the workings of the curia...eh?

No frontal assault Father.  Just a good hard look at the reality of the teaching...as it is...not as the Orthodox try to feed it to me.

Your own logic missed an entire major premise but I am accustomed to that in discussions on primacy and infallibility.

M.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #466 on: April 17, 2011, 11:12:50 AM »

happy...because the latter paragraph says he can do so without catering to the Curia...I think that one is a good idea personally, but then maybe I am more familiar with the workings of the curia...eh?

I am sure that you would be.  For me it's been over 30 years!
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #467 on: April 17, 2011, 11:19:27 AM »

happy...because the latter paragraph says he can do so without catering to the Curia...I think that one is a good idea personally, but then maybe I am more familiar with the workings of the curia...eh?

That's a long time Father...You've been a good and faithful servant and that is no small thing!

I've been thinking about you lately and wish you a very blessed Holy Week.  This year I am especially looking forward to it.  It's a kind of going-home excitement that I feel in my belly...I like that when it happens.

Smiley

Rosie

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #468 on: April 17, 2011, 11:40:21 AM »

That's a long time Father...You've been a good and faithful servant and that is no small thing!

I've been thinking about you lately and wish you a very blessed Holy Week.  This year I am especially looking forward to it.  It's a kind of going-home excitement that I feel in my belly...I like that when it happens.

Smiley

Rosie

You're being extra nice to me, Blackthorn Rosie.  Smiley  I ask your forgiveness as we set out into Holy Week for all the scratchy exchanges we have had this last year.  I still have a great respect and affection for you, from the days when we battled side by side to uphold the reality of the hypostatic union in respect to the Eucharistic Presence of the Lord.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #469 on: April 17, 2011, 12:00:13 PM »

Smiley

Rosie

You're being extra nice to me, Blackthorn Rosie.  Smiley  I ask your forgiveness as we set out into Holy Week for all the scratchy exchanges we have had this last year.  I still have a great respect and affection for you, from the days when we battled side by side to uphold the reality of the hypostatic union in respect to the Eucharistic Presence of the Lord.

Yes.  I am letting you know that I am sorry.  Because I sinned against God and you were the object.  I did not become angry with you.   That would have been easy.  But I became disaffected and that is far worse.  It happened once with me with my son.  It is a form of despair and far worse than anger.  It is gone now and I doubt that it will ever return where you or he are concerned. 

I forgive you, of course, because I have every hope that you forgive me!  You are a priest, and from what I can see, you are a good one and that has great meaning to me....and yes...more than anything else we are believers.  So we don't want to dump that kind of connection in the trash can.

Much love, in Christ

M.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #470 on: April 17, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »

For the Pope to teach infallibly, he must be intending to teach as the Pope, ex cathedra.
This is completely out of my rich. What is so special with cathedra? How come popes are filled with grace only when they sit on the cathedra? I'm actually very interested with details of it. When a pope sits on the cathedra Holy Spirit is descended on him and when he gets up the Spirit lives him, is this so? Or how does it work?

Also very interesting questions, at least to me, are 1) If the sitting on the cathedra makes popes infallible why don't they sit on it frequently? 2) Or why did they not pronounce the dogmas of papal infallibility and filioque ex cathedra? Smiley

When I learned about "ex cathedra" (literally "from the chair") in college (a Catholic college BTW), I was under the impression that it had something to do with the Pope's physical location. It was only years later that I learned that it doesn't.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #471 on: April 17, 2011, 04:37:20 PM »

If the sitting on the cathedra makes popes infallible why don't they sit on it frequently?

Because, as you can see on this picture, Bernini forgot to install some kind of stairs or a ladder leading to it. Wink

What, you think Popes are subject to gravity, like the rest of us?

Grin

Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #472 on: April 17, 2011, 04:53:53 PM »

What, you think Popes are subject to gravity, like the rest of us?

Grin

Sorry, I forgot.

Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #473 on: January 29, 2012, 01:07:00 AM »

Easy question to answer.  No.  They would no longer be Orthodox.

Darn. You got it.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #474 on: January 29, 2012, 09:53:39 AM »

But he is infallible, isn't he?

In the many conversations that I have had with Catholics about P.I., one thing you guys never seem to talk about is the fact that Pastor Aeternus didn't actually say "intend".

Catholics just always seem to assume that if the pope intends something as an ex cathedra statement, then it must be an ex cathedra statement.

Tags: cheval mort 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: