Author Topic: For another friend  (Read 588 times)

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
For another friend
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:11:27 PM »
Dear folks,

Thank you so much for your prayers for a fiend of mine I mentioned a short while ago, an alcoholic who seems to succumb to drinking. I ask you to offer prayers for another good friend of mine, who is much younger (in his mid-30's) and who seems to suffer from the same attack of evil forces.

A. has been a good colleague of my wife for the last 5 years or so. He is a wonderful guy, very tall, strong (ex-Marine), very intelligent and kind. He and his wife, D., came to our house several times and had a jolly good time with us, enjoying each other company. Until about last June, nothing would hint that A. is in any trouble.

Last June, however, D. graduated from her university and got a position in another state. She took it, without any hesitation, and left. A. is now all alone in their little house. He tried very hard to improve it and to sell it or rent it, but there aren't any buyers or renters, which is perhaps not surprising given the present economic crisis.

A. started to drink. Real hard. Besides, Lesya and I are afraid that he is taking narcotics. He is out of touch almost always. He even stopped coming to the place where he is employed. He does what his supervisor asks of him, but it looks like he does that late at night or very early in the morning, so that no one would see him. During the daytime, he lies on a mattress most of the time, very drunk, or under the drugs.

D. does not seem to understand what's going on. She is very self-absorbed. A. has always been almost like a "father" for her, responsible for everything. She is one of those people who never even know where the kitchen is or how to write a check. But she seems to be enjoying herself very much at her new place where she got her job.

Lesya and I like both A. and D. so much. (D. is weird... but aren't we all?) Please, say a short prayer for these two young people. I am so afraid that this situation will end badly.

Thank you,

G.
Love never fails.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Re: For another friend
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:40:33 PM »

Lord, have mercy on everyone involved!
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:18:15 AM »
Lord, have mercy!
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 05:29:48 AM »
"Lord have mercy."

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 09:01:30 AM »
Lord, have mercy!
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 04:48:04 PM »
Thank you all for your prayers.

May I ask, please pray also for A.'s mother. She lives far, in yet another state, and A. just reently learned that she has cancer. He took a personal leave and went to see her.

Tragic as this is, maybe it will sober A. up, bring him back to reality.
Love never fails.

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 07:25:08 PM »
Lord Have Mercy...Amen Amen
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.