OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 03:16:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good morning, from Quietmorning - Introduction  (Read 959 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: September 02, 2010, 09:02:15 AM »

Good morning,

My name is BethAnna and I'm new here.  I am currently a Catechumen.  I've been going to St. Elizabeth's for over a year now.  I have both a Roman Catholic (raised and practiced into adulthood) and a Protestant back ground (used to supplement the RC Mass).  I've been looking all of my life for the Orthodox Church - never knew much about it - this is a long prayed answered prayer for me.  I'm home, finally.  I found that when my life is upside down and inside out, He prepares my heart for the best of wonders - and then surrounds me with the right people to guide me there.  That is what happened in this case.  My husband and I went to see a marriage counselor - who happened to be Orthodox.  I told him I was really struggling over some spiritual issues - so he referred me to the most wonderful man that guided me in the right direction in heart attitude and thankful praise toward my God.  He didn't say one word about becoming Orthodox. . .but when looking for a church, I decided to see if there was one in my area. . .and it was love at first sight, and has just kept growing over the course of this last year.  The priest of my church believes in a long courtship and a short engagement, so I have been on a Eucharistic Fast since I started, which at first was quite hard - but then I found a peace about it that was wonderful.  When I go to receive my first Communion, I will be hopefully deeply prepared.  

I am reminded of the woman at the well who was married 7 times and living with the man she was currently with.  The Lord told her he would give her water from a well where she would never be thirsty again. . .living water.  I was always thirsty and always hungry before, never receiving enough of what I needed spiritually - to the point of starvation, and I was dying in it.  This year has been one of plenty -  an endless well of living water, and I've been so blessed.  I'm truly looking forward to the rest of my life going to this well of living water.  

Nice to meet you all!

BethAnna
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:04:25 AM by quietmorning » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:14:02 AM »

Welcome to the forum and to Orthodoxy, BethAnna!

You will find both rewarding!   Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:18:57 AM »

Welcome BethAnna,

I hope that you will find the Convert Issues forum , for those who are converts, this forum is a safe place to discuss issues that arise after one converts in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. WE try to avoid jurisdiction debates and you may find a the topic that will be split and sent the appropriate OC.Net forum to continue the discussion or debate if it strays from the guidelines of our Forum Purpose.

Again I want to welcome you warmly to the Convert Issues Forum and hope you will enjoy your time as a member here.

Congratulations on your decision to enter the Holy Orthodox Faith! May God grant you Many Years!

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator 

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:30:34 AM »

Welcome.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »

Welcome to the forum and to Orthodoxy, BethAnna!

You will find both rewarding!   Smiley

Thank you, Liza!
Jeff

Faith: Roman Catholic Transitioning to Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Visiting Greek

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 01:54:06 PM »

Welcome BethAnna!  I'm new too Smiley

I share your journey.  I'm Roman Catholic moving to Orthodoxy as well.
I'm sure we have a lot in common.

Many years!

-Jeff
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 02:00:44 PM »

Welcome BethAnna,

I hope that you will find the Convert Issues forum , for those who are converts, this forum is a safe place to discuss issues that arise after one converts in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. WE try to avoid jurisdiction debates and you may find a the topic that will be split and sent the appropriate OC.Net forum to continue the discussion or debate if it strays from the guidelines of our Forum Purpose.

Again I want to welcome you warmly to the Convert Issues Forum and hope you will enjoy your time as a member here.

Congratulations on your decision to enter the Holy Orthodox Faith! May God grant you Many Years!

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator 

Thank you, Thomas, and thank you very much for the work you do here on this forum - I've seen a few examples of your work - very nice to see that kind discernment that allows us newbies to weigh and question if we need to. 

It's good to be here!

BethAnna
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 02:02:10 PM »

Welcome.

Thank you, Entscheidungsproblem!
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 02:03:51 PM »

Welcome BethAnna!  I'm new too Smiley

I share your journey.  I'm Roman Catholic moving to Orthodoxy as well.
I'm sure we have a lot in common.

Many years!

-Jeff

Hi, Jeff, first I'd like to thank you for posting your introduction - which prompted me to post mine.  I was really unsure of how to do so and which forum to post to. Smiley 

Many Years to you as well! 

I'm sure we do have much in common!  Can't want to talk about some of the similarities and differences with you!

BethAnna
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Richard
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 08:21:41 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Richard

Thank you, Richard, it's good to be here!
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 08:24:42 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Richard

I'm glad I found this place, to be honest. It was after I attended one RC Mass and the Priest told me to call, as if he didnt care about my soul.

I went to an orthodox church, and the first thing the Priest did was talk to me, personally, after the service.
It made all the difference - not to mention I spent 2-3 years as a Buddhist, and the mystical side of EO appeals to me deeply.

Richard
Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 09:17:56 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

Richard

I'm glad I found this place, to be honest. It was after I attended one RC Mass and the Priest told me to call, as if he didnt care about my soul.

I went to an orthodox church, and the first thing the Priest did was talk to me, personally, after the service.
It made all the difference - not to mention I spent 2-3 years as a Buddhist, and the mystical side of EO appeals to me deeply.

Richard
I can relate!  the RC priests are so often not personable.  all I god (sometimes) was a handshake as I walked out the door, and I was considering converting!  the Orthodox priest took time to meet me, AND learn my name!  I can't express my suprise and fascination when, after the service, he comes running from the Church, trying to give me a bullitin, yelling "Trevor!  I have something for you!".  he would also give me reading materials a plenty.  the RC priest didn't really talk to teenagers much, mut the Orthodox Priest didn't see me as a teen, but as a person.

I also relate to your liking the mysticism, i'd never seen anything so profound in my life!  we don't just go to "services" for bible study, that's afterward, but we go to Church to pray! Grin
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:19:48 AM by trevor72694 » Logged

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 09:26:19 AM »

Precisely.

Actually, the first thing the Priest did was invite me to Great Vespers. There were just two people(myself included, then just one) besides a chanter/reader and the Priest.

I just ALMOST finished reading "The Ordthodox Church". and in one chapter, what Christ tells the Apostle Andrew seems to apply very well to what we should say to those inquiring: "Come and see". IMO, based on my own experience, people can READ about Orthodoxy, think about going, but as soon as the Service starts, it's like any tpye of foothold or misconception goes right out the window.

As soon as I stepped inside the place, I knew it was the RIGHT place. It wasn't cold rigid, it was warm and open, yet you felt Love.

Okay, not to mention I always liked Byzantine/Arabic chant, but thats what got me... I'm not a big choir type!

Trevor, if you will, please pray for the start of my catechumenate this upcoming Sunday.

Richard
Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 09:30:39 AM »

Precisely.

Actually, the first thing the Priest did was invite me to Great Vespers. There were just two people(myself included, then just one) besides a chanter/reader and the Priest.

I just ALMOST finished reading "The Ordthodox Church". and in one chapter, what Christ tells the Apostle Andrew seems to apply very well to what we should say to those inquiring: "Come and see". IMO, based on my own experience, people can READ about Orthodoxy, think about going, but as soon as the Service starts, it's like any tpye of foothold or misconception goes right out the window.

As soon as I stepped inside the place, I knew it was the RIGHT place. It wasn't cold rigid, it was warm and open, yet you felt Love.

Okay, not to mention I always liked Byzantine/Arabic chant, but thats what got me... I'm not a big choir type!

Trevor, if you will, please pray for the start of my catechumenate this upcoming Sunday.

Richard
gospodi pomilui!  or as you may like it:   يا ربّ ارحم

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 09:59:42 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

Richard

Richard

Hi, Richard, my apologies for not answering this sooner. 

I'm an extrovert and grew up in the RC Church . . .I can usually introduce myself and make friends easily. . .but I've found it next to impossible in the (current) RC church.  Many people need personal touches in order to begin to become part of the church family.  Even with no shy bone in my body, there's a difference between being a part of a church congregation . . . ie "institution" . . .and being a part of a family and being home.  It's very difficult to live honestly - without a show face in an institution, but with my family?!  Lol. . .they know ALLLLL my ins and outs - can't hide a thing from 'em!!  And that's a wonderful thing. Smiley

simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 12:03:16 PM »

Good Morning and welcome to the forum! Good to see that people are still being lead by Christ to His church.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 12:11:16 PM »

Good Morning and welcome to the forum! Good to see that people are still being lead by Christ to His church.

Thank you, simplygermain,

And good morning to you!  Smiley

It was such a miracle. . .such a beautiful orchestrated miracle of putting the perfect people in my life just at the right time.  I'm so thankful for His grace. . .and His answering my prayers.  Smiley
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »

It was such a miracle. . .such a beautiful orchestrated miracle of putting the perfect people in my life just at the right time.  I'm so thankful for His grace. . .and His answering my prayers.  Smiley
I have found this to be the case with many of us converts! God works in mysterious ways, no?

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »

I have found this to be the case with many of us converts! God works in mysterious ways, no?

Yes, He does, and I'm so thankful that He does!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: