OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 08:37:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Testament Study  (Read 1222 times) Average Rating: 0
Raouf

« on: March 02, 2004, 02:17:17 PM »

Friends,

I am looking for recommendations for graduate level textbooks that serve as introductions/surveys of the Old Testament. I am not sure if anyone is familiar with such texts that might be used in Orthodox seminaries but this would be for self-study.

I currently have Peter Ellis' "The Men and Message of the Old Testament" which I find to be very good, but then again I don't have anything else to compare it to. Ellis is a RC and professor at Fordham.

I have seen some of the Tarazi (sp?) OT series but for some reason I just didn't like them.

I want to avoid the liberal biblical critisism type stuff.

I have seen some good reviews for OT introductions by Broadt and another by Archer, but I think they are both Protestant focused.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

In Christ,
Raouf

Flog your enemies with the Name of Jesus and let the remembrance of Jesus be present with each breath. - St. John Climacus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 02:54:40 PM »

I have seen some of the Tarazi (sp?) OT series but for some reason I just didn't like them.

Perhaps because they recycle outdated Protestant theories that even the Protestants don't believe anymore? Smiley

For an introduction to the OT I would suggest the Church Fathers--especially St. John Chrysostom. Smiley He covers just as much ground as modern biblical "critics" and commentators--and does so from an Orthodox perspective.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 03:25:35 PM »

Tarazi recently edited and reworked volume one of his introduction, and reworked a lot of the theory.

I went into his class skeptical and opposed to him.  Some of what he said was a little strange.  But overall, he is a great biblical scholar and his focus is on getting people to actually read the bible, which unfortunately isn't always so common in Orthodox churches (or Catholic ones).

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 05:44:07 PM »

I'm not sold on any particular survey.  But, John Blankenship has some excellent books out on the Prophets.  *Moses and the Deuteronomist* is also excellent and well regarded by Bible scholars within most Christian communities, though the author's name escapes me at the moment.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
Raouf

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 06:26:53 PM »

Is anyone familiar with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0809126311/qid=1078266289/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-5761822-8541663

Reading the Old Testament: An Introduction
by Lawrence Boadt

It seems like there are some very good reviews from both RC and Protestants. The author is a RC priest.

Flog your enemies with the Name of Jesus and let the remembrance of Jesus be present with each breath. - St. John Climacus
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 06:32:07 PM »

I have this book at home, but have never read it.  Flipping through it, it just looks like the average stuff, but I've heard from at least one RC priest that it was good.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 02:44:02 PM »

Anastasios,

Thank you for saying so. I'll have to keep my trap shut in the future, since I really have no right rattling off about how bad or good his work is at this point. Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 02:54:54 PM »

Justin,

I think that one could make a valid criticism of some of Fr Paul Tarazi's points of view, especially when he says some explosive things in class.  However, if you take him "in context" and look at him all around, you realize that he has an agenda (which is knocking people off their feet so they will start reading the Bible, not just using the Bible to proof-text), which could be analagous to a "fool for Christ."  Note I said "could be" because I don't seek to judge.  He did revise his theory of sources and I think that was good.

my whole issue with the source theory was that sure, the scholars seemed to have proved their point, but there was never a motive, such as "why" it should be that way. To me it was always a way to seek to explain things that could just as easily be explained by God's grace.  It's good to know how things might have come into being, I would say, in a physical, historical sense, but overall, the whole message centers around divine revelation, and such editorial processes were certainly part of God's plan.

Sorry, I'm rambling now Smiley

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: