Author Topic: how to act towards a friend....  (Read 724 times)

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
how to act towards a friend....
« on: September 01, 2010, 06:57:59 PM »
Hello, all.  Christ is in our midst!  I need some advice on how to act toward a friend of mine.  you see, we have interesting religous disgussions in class, and he's really nice.  the only problem is....he's been a little too nice.  a few times, I'll be sitting in my chair, and he'll hug me from behind, and put his arm accross my chest.  not like he's pretending to horse around, but he seems to.....like me. 

I don't want to judge him, but I think that he might be attracted to me in a homosexual way.  quite honestly, how do I handle it?!  I like him, but I'm not a homosexual (and I'm not even SURE if he is).    I don't want to "lead him on" :-[

what should I do in this situation?!  please, pray for me (and him!)

Offline Hamartolos

• High Elder
Re: how to act towards a friend....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 11:02:39 PM »
I would simply tell him that you are not comfortable with it and if you're good friends, ask him privately if he is homosexual.  Assure him that you will continue to be his friend and not condemn him for it. 

You don't have to agree with it, but remember that being Orthodox also means being a higher example.  Judging/condemning him will only lead to the end of your friendship and snuff out any interest (at least most of it) of him coming to Orthodoxy.

It's difficult, I know.  I speak from experience, as when I was in high school was very un-Christian to the few who were openly gay (although, they automatically were hostile to me since they knew I was a Catholic).  Regardless, I regret ever reacting in such a thoughtless and sinful way. 

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: how to act towards a friend....
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:58:40 AM »
Thread locked pursuant to the Moratorium...

Trevor, I appreciate your desire to seek advice on a personal matter, but a Moratorium on Discussing Homosexual Conduct currently prohibits posters from discussing on this forum the very subject on which you seek advice.  I encourage you therefore to seek counsel instead from other posters via private message or from offline sources such as your spiritual father.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:00:45 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.