OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 02:54:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: saving the Paschal flame?!  (Read 2084 times) Average Rating: 0
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 12:12:16 AM »

That's what I get for reading the more recent posts first.  I do the same thing with my emails and get foot in mouth disease.   Tongue
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2012, 12:24:40 AM »

LOL!  Father, I think You come here for some comic relief, after grading too many papers!  Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2012, 01:31:14 AM »

We don't save the paschal flame at my parish. As Father opens the doors and begins singing the Paschal Canon, the head usher dryly announces: "Everyone put your candles in this box." (Probably to confine Waxmageddon to the Narthex and not spread the love throughout the whole church.)

It sounds like a lovely tradition though.

Yes but all other candles are lit in the church from that flame.  You can light glass vigil candle from the one you are carrying before blown out or go and get from candles in stands/sand or lampadas and is same light.   

I wish, father! All our candles are lit with a barbecue lighter, including the main 7-day votive candle that is replaced weekly, which is blown out and the new one relit with the aforementioned lighter. Sad It's just a little thing, but it seems like a nice tradition.

My parish is still learning about these things after decades of severe liturgical laxity, occasionally bordering on abuse. I'm told they only used electric candles for many, many years. The Old Guard is still getting used to these waxy innovations...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:33:45 AM by age234 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: