OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:22:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic Conversion  (Read 2019 times) Average Rating: 0
LauraRuth

« on: August 29, 2010, 08:19:30 PM »

Hi all -

I've been reading several posts on Orthodox conversion...I'm extremely happy and excited that I stumbled upon this site.

I'm considering the Coptic church to centre my faith around as I find several aspects of it appealing and a sort of calling, if you will....does anyone have any suggestions or guidance they can offer?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:34:02 PM »

Perhaps more could be said if you explain why you are interested in the Coptic church?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 08:51:52 PM »

Hi all -

I've been reading several posts on Orthodox conversion...I'm extremely happy and excited that I stumbled upon this site.

I'm considering the Coptic church to centre my faith around as I find several aspects of it appealing and a sort of calling, if you will....does anyone have any suggestions or guidance they can offer?

Give the priest of the Church a call, or visit the church and see if you can get in contact with anyone there and let them know you're interested.

Are you in the US?  Because you can find out the contact information of the Church by typing your Zip Code at the bottom of this website:

http://www.copticchurch.net

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:11:54 AM »

Welcome to the forum, LauraRuth!

As Mina said, you should contact a priest or just go and visit a church.  One thing that is great about Coptic parishes is that they tend to have really great bookstores, so if you want to do some reading about the Coptic Church, you'll be able to find some materials there. 

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:17:54 AM »

Laura Ruth ,

For Coptic specific questions, May I recommend that you go directly to our Oriental Orthodox Discussion Forum that is moderated by Salpy . You will get many more responses there from members of the Oriental Orthodox churches. I have found it to be the place to go to learn more and get direct answers about the Coptic and other Oriental Orthodox Church beliefs. Salpy, Mina, and others who post there provide excellent resources , as well as, correct citations from leading Oriental Orthodox theologians and leaders.

Thomas
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:18:23 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Chtets Ioann

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Diocese of Canada

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 03:41:26 AM »

As the Coptic Church finds itself separated from the Orthodox Church as at the time of the 4th Ecumenical Council, I would recommend you take a serious study of the facts revolving the Coptic Church's separation from Orthodoxy before you make a final decision in converting to the Coptic Church. A good place for you to start is the series of articles on Coptic Christianity published on pravmir.ru by a young Egyptian man who belonged to the Coptic Church in Egypt, yet converted to Orthodoxy. His perspective is especially interesting in that, as I mentioned, he grew up as a Copt in Egypt and has an insiders take on the matter.

http://www.pravmir.com/article_946.html

Hope this helps,
Rd. Ioannis

Chtets Ioann, our forum rules ban polemical discussions about the Chalcedonian Schism outside Private Forums and proselytising to ones jurisdiction. You have broken them in a place where people who non very little about Orthodoxy come to broaden their knowledge and they might not be aware of the context of your posts.. I give you a two-week-long warning. If you feel it's unjust, appeal to Fr. George - Michał Kalina.

The discussion about the Orthodoxy of the Oriental Orthodox was moved to Private Forums. If you don't have an access to that board and want one, PM to FrChris - Michał Kalina.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:26:32 PM by Salpy » Logged
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: