OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 12:41:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some literature/online sources for my uncle  (Read 423 times) Average Rating: 0
thismanisdan

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: August 28, 2010, 01:40:23 PM »

Hello everyone. I was hoping you could help me find some information (homilies, books, online text, etc.) for my uncle who I feel has just made a basic (for Orthodox) connection between Passover and the new covenant. He is a very stubborn Protestant but doesn't really hold to any particular denomination (although i'd consider him a light pentacostal). He loves scripture (big surprise) but it would be nice to provide him with some early church stuff or anything like it to pique his interest hopefully. I feel God may be pulling him a bit towards Orthodoxy with this realization.

He basically sends out daily emails with his thoughts on the scripture he read that day. Ill quote it so you guys can understand the connection he sort of made. Please don't mind his comments on the rapture and such. He is working with what God has given him in terms of the truth.

Exodus 13

The thing I find interesting in this chapter is how God told the Israelites to continually celebrate the Passover to commemorate their deliverance from the Land of Egypt. They were to remember how they put the blood around the doors and how the Lord passed over those houses with blood on them and there was not loss of life.  Please consider verse 9:

9 This observance will be for you like a sign on your hand and a reminder on your forehead that the law of the LORD is to be on your lips. For the LORD brought you out of Egypt with his mighty hand.

This mention of  “a sign on your hand and a reminder on your forehead that the law of the Lord is to be on your lips made me think of how in Revelation it says that the mark of the beast will also be on the hand and forehead. The devil is such a copycat of God. I guess he just loves to take what God does and pervert it. Please consider Revelation 14:9 and 10.

9A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, 10he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb.

As I reflected on this for some time I wondered if there is any sign of Christ’s seal on our forehead and hand under the new covenant. I wondered if maybe the Lord’s Supper had something to do with this so sure enough when I checked into it I was surprised to see that the Lord ’s Supper replaces the Passover. Please consider Matthew 26:26-28:

26And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.

27And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;

28For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Since this is the new covenant I wonder if our honest and circumspect participation in the Lord’s supper may represent his mark on our foreheads and hands under the new covenant. Maybe this observance will be for us like a sign on our hands and a reminder on our foreheads that the law of the LORD is to be on our HEARTS.  I guess as we walk in close fellowship with God and with each other we have protection from judgment just as the Israelites did.  Maybe this is what it takes to participate in the soon coming grand “exodus” or rapture. No one will ever be perfect and only God can do a work in us to make us ready and he is more than willing if we simply ask him.

God bless,

Matthew

DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 08:58:21 PM »

Hello everyone. I was hoping you could help me find some information (homilies, books, online text, etc.) for my uncle who I feel has just made a basic (for Orthodox) connection between Passover and the new covenant. He is a very stubborn Protestant but doesn't really hold to any particular denomination (although i'd consider him a light pentacostal). He loves scripture (big surprise) but it would be nice to provide him with some early church stuff or anything like it to pique his interest hopefully. I feel God may be pulling him a bit towards Orthodoxy with this realization.

He basically sends out daily emails with his thoughts on the scripture he read that day. Ill quote it so you guys can understand the connection he sort of made. Please don't mind his comments on the rapture and such. He is working with what God has given him in terms of the truth.

Exodus 13

The thing I find interesting in this chapter is how God told the Israelites to continually celebrate the Passover to commemorate their deliverance from the Land of Egypt. They were to remember how they put the blood around the doors and how the Lord passed over those houses with blood on them and there was not loss of life.  Please consider verse 9:

9 This observance will be for you like a sign on your hand and a reminder on your forehead that the law of the LORD is to be on your lips. For the LORD brought you out of Egypt with his mighty hand.

This mention of  “a sign on your hand and a reminder on your forehead that the law of the Lord is to be on your lips made me think of how in Revelation it says that the mark of the beast will also be on the hand and forehead. The devil is such a copycat of God. I guess he just loves to take what God does and pervert it. Please consider Revelation 14:9 and 10.

9A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, 10he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb.

As I reflected on this for some time I wondered if there is any sign of Christ’s seal on our forehead and hand under the new covenant. I wondered if maybe the Lord’s Supper had something to do with this so sure enough when I checked into it I was surprised to see that the Lord ’s Supper replaces the Passover. Please consider Matthew 26:26-28:

26And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.

27And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;

28For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Since this is the new covenant I wonder if our honest and circumspect participation in the Lord’s supper may represent his mark on our foreheads and hands under the new covenant. Maybe this observance will be for us like a sign on our hands and a reminder on our foreheads that the law of the LORD is to be on our HEARTS.  I guess as we walk in close fellowship with God and with each other we have protection from judgment just as the Israelites did.  Maybe this is what it takes to participate in the soon coming grand “exodus” or rapture. No one will ever be perfect and only God can do a work in us to make us ready and he is more than willing if we simply ask him.

God bless,

Matthew

It sure seems like He is making a connection,I believe He is moving in the right direction,I'm am not that knowledgable about Early Church sources,although I have done some research.
Peleg

Faith: Orthodox member
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »

Well, you can do a search on the 'net and find all kinds of resources like this one: http://www.greekorthodoxchurch.org/history.html or this one: http://www.monachos.net/content/patristics.  These are all Orthodox sites.  The history book I read is J.N.D. Kelley's Early Christian Doctrine.  Also, Fr. Bernstein's book Surprised by Christ is a great one(can be had from Conciliar Press).  He is a Jew who converted to Christianity, was one of the original people who help start Jews for Jesus.  The book is a good interesting read w/ plenty of history and how this impacted him in becoming Orthodox.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 03:34:27 PM by Peleg » Logged
Tags: Eucharist  passover  protestant 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: