OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 04:26:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reformed Episcopal Church and The Orthodox Church  (Read 974 times) Average Rating: 0
DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« on: August 28, 2010, 09:53:49 AM »

I don't know if someone has ever asked this particular question,so I thought I would ask. Is there any dialogue at all between the EO and the REC? The reason I ask is that I have a friend who is an Anglican Priest in the REC,and would their priesthood be valid orders?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 09:58:22 AM »

His priesthood won't be valid for sure. I don't know what is the answer for the first question.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 02:00:48 PM »

There is dialogue between the OCA and the ACNA, of which the Reformed Episcopal Church is now a part. 

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 03:06:30 PM »

Many Thanks!
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 06:15:50 PM »

Is there any dialogue at all between the EO and the REC?

Out of any Anglicans they would not be the closest to orthodoxy, so I doubt it. However, from what I remember, they might now be part of the Anglican Church of North America, which would mean that they have some sort of dialogue with the OCA.

The reason I ask is that I have a friend who is an Anglican Priest in the REC,and would their priesthood be valid orders?

Perhaps valid. But no one outside the Church has efficacious Orders.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 10:44:51 PM »

The REC is low church Anglicanism. Or at least it seemed that way to me (if I'm wrong, please correct me). They left the Anglican communion because of the rise and influence of the Oxford movement.

Also, I think the OCA is interested in the Anglo-Catholics within the ACNA. Metropolitan Jonah called Calvinism heresy when he spoke at their opening conference. All the Anglo-Catholics there clapped there hands. The REC is Calvinistic to it's core.

You can see the video here:
http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/2009/10/metropolitan-jonahs-speach-to-acna.html (Metropolitan Jonah's speach to the ACNA)

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:45:41 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 01:05:37 AM »

The REC is low church Anglicanism. Or at least it seemed that way to me (if I'm wrong, please correct me). They left the Anglican communion because of the rise and influence of the Oxford movement.

Oh yeah, the REC is low church as it comes.  It was rather shocking to know that they were on board for the founding of the ACNA, seeing as how two of the break-away dioceses (San Joaquin and Fort Worth) from the Episcopalians are Anglo-Catholic to the core.  That's the ACNA for you, the continuing wibbley wobbley Anglican tradition of fudge. 

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 12:50:43 AM »

I go to a non-denominational high school run by a local REC, and, based on one Holy Week service and accounts from my friends, the parish is relatively "high church" by Anglican standards, with the liturgy being sung in its entirety. While its roots may be in the Low Church movement, today it seems to appeal more to those who wish to escape theological liberalism while retaining an Anglican identity. That being said, there does seem to be an interest in Orthodoxy among some members, seeing as my English teacher (the priest's daughter) introduced me to Ancient Faith Radio, the writings of Fr. Alexander Schemann were distributed during Lent, and many families practice Pedocommunion.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: