OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:08:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I came across an article...  (Read 661 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« on: August 28, 2010, 04:04:14 AM »

(http://www.karozota.com/2009/sidor/istheeastchurchnestorian090521.html) from the Ancient Church of the East (which as I understand it broke from the Assyrian Church of the East in the 1960's over reforms in that church) and I am just curious what people's opinions are of it.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 04:50:04 AM »

Where's Rafa999 when you need him?
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 04:51:20 AM »

James,

Are you certain that site is an ACOE site? The terminology 'Church of the East' is not infrequently used to describe both the Assyrian Church and the Catholicosate (ACOE). The content doesn't give me any clear clue as to from which this emanates.

And, are you asking opinions about the article or the ACOE?

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:52:25 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 05:08:17 AM »

the link speaks heretical

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »

the link speaks heretical
How so?
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »

Read it.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 12:21:25 PM »

Read it.
I'm trying to encourage discussion here.  I'd like to know what you see in the article that leads you to deem it heretical.
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 12:38:39 PM »

If you wanted to encourage discussion on this topic than why didn`t(don`t) you tell us what did(do) you get from the article, PeterTheAleut?

The way i see it the article if full of errors and the writer wants to trow the dead kitten into our garden.

Mahatma Gandhi
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »

If you wanted to encourage discussion on this topic than why didn`t(don`t) you tell us what did(do) you get from the article, PeterTheAleut?
Please forgive me if anything I've said has put you on the defensive, for that was not my intent.  I'm just curious to know what you read in this article.  You should be so honored that someone cares enough about you to encourage you to express your mind, but you don't have to if you don't want to.  I just find your comments intriguing and would like to know more.

The way i see it the article if full of errors and the writer wants to trow the dead kitten into our garden.
What errors do you see in this article?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:58:50 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 03:17:54 PM »

The writer does not really know what Nestorianism is.If he would he would of recognise it in his religion.Obviously.

Mahatma Gandhi
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 06:15:50 PM »

and I am just curious what people's opinions are of it.

*shrugs* It's the typical East Syrian understanding of the Christological controversy. But it certainly has a few errors from a Cyrillian perspective.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 06:15:50 PM »

The writer does not really know what Nestorianism is.If he would he would of recognise it in his religion.Obviously.

The article nowhere disassociates from Nestorianism or Nestorius or his legacy. What makes you think he/she doesn't recognize his/her religion as Nestorian?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 11:26:12 PM »

James,

Are you certain that site is an ACOE site? The terminology 'Church of the East' is not infrequently used to describe both the Assyrian Church and the Catholicosate (ACOE). The content doesn't give me any clear clue as to from which this emanates.

And, are you asking opinions about the article or the ACOE?

Many years,

Neil

It's from the Ancient Church of the East which separated form the Assyrian Church of the East in the 1960's.  An Ancient Church of the East parish in California links to it from their website (referring to the page as the website for the Assyrian Church of the East in Sweden).  Oddly enough, it also links to nestorian.org

EDIT: I just realized I missed the second question.  I was mainly asking about the article because, how I read it, they seem to be interpreting their own view of their christology as being roughly the same as the Orthodox Church's position (though, admittedly, I may be misunderstanding something about the article, EO christology, or both).  If they do in fact see themselves that way, I also wonder if there's been any discussions with the Assyrian Church as there have been with the RC's and OO's because, aside from christology and icons, I don't myself know of any other heresies that the EO Church believes they espouse (though they may very well be some), whereas the RC Church has many, many, many doctrinal differences.

While my initial curiosity was mainly in the opinions of board members on the article, any information on the Assyrian Church of the East (and/or Ancient Church of the East) would be appreciated (as difficult as it is to find books on Oriental Orthodoxy, it is much more difficult to find them on the Assyrian Church).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:34:16 PM by JamesRottnek » Logged

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 08:15:15 PM »

EDIT: I just realized I missed the second question.  I was mainly asking about the article because, how I read it, they seem to be interpreting their own view of their christology as being roughly the same as the Orthodox Church's position (though, admittedly, I may be misunderstanding something about the article, EO christology, or both).

I don't believe that this is at all the case. Let me point out to you what I find to be contrary to what I generally here from the Byzantines:

-"This was over the definition of the Union in the Messiah of God the Word and the man, Jesus of Nazareth." First of all, the "Eastern Orthodox" would usually be quite hesitant to say something like this, if not downright condemn it as heresy. Referring to the divine being of God the Word, on the one hand, and the man Jesus of Nazareth, on the other hand, very much seems to imply that one regards the Logos and Jesus as distinguishable beings. However, for those churches who swear allegiance to the First Council of Ephesus, it is traditionally understood that the man Jesus actually is the Logos who became human.

-"impossible and unthinkable things, such as that God died, suffered, thirsted, tired, slept, etc." Here they betray that they also have pretty much no understanding of the communicatio idiomatum; they don't realize that we can speak of God as having died, suffered, thirsted, tired, and slept because the Logos is God and the Logos became human. For all we know they don't even believe that the Logos actually became human in the same sense.

-"In other words, those characteristics and properties of manhood in the Messiah were being  thoughtlessly ascribed to his Godhead" This is a typical East Syrian misunderstanding of the hypostatic union. Whether it is done conveniently to be able to dismiss it or whether they legitimately do not understand, I do not know. They don't realize in saying that God suffered that we are not saying that the Godhead suffered but rather than one who is God suffered.

-"The opponents of Nestorius were more concerned with preserving the theological insistence upon "one subject" in the Messiah." Their placing "one subject" in quotes would seem to suggest that they reject the Tradition of understanding Jesus and the Logos as one subject.

-"Qa'numa is regularly viewed in the Church of the East as "the essence of a nature which differentiates it from other natures" (a nature being an abstraction unless individuated and its properties defined which characterize it  against other natures, whether like or unlike itself). Thus God the Word is a  qa'numa of the nature of Godhead, and Jesus of Mary is a qa'numa of the nature  of manhood." This quotation betrays the typical weakness in the East Syrian understanding of the Syriac term qnoma and parsopa. They do not appear to be able to conceive of a difference between the concrete and objective individuation of a species of being and the concept of individuality and subject, such that in Ephesine theology we can conceive of there being an individuation of humanity and an individuation of divinity in Christ but both of them being that of the Logos and thus one in subject.

If they do in fact see themselves that way, I also wonder if there's been any discussions with the Assyrian Church as there have been with the RC's and OO's because, aside from christology and icons, I don't myself know of any other heresies that the EO Church believes they espouse (though they may very well be some), whereas the RC Church has many, many, many doctrinal differences.

There were attempts at ecumenical dialogue between the OO and the ACE, but those ultimately turned out poorly and were discontinued. As far as I know there have been no attempts at dialogue between the EO and the ACE. However, I do agree with you that they are bound to be closer to us (either EO or OO for that matter) than the Romanists and it would be a good idea to make a move to engage in dialogue again. Unfortunately, on the other hand, from what I've read of the ecumenical dialogues of the ACE recently they are getting closer and closer to capitulating to union with Rome.

Tags: Church of the East 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: