OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 02:57:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sabbath in Christianity  (Read 483 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: August 28, 2010, 12:57:31 AM »

I am wondering if there is any way in which it is understood that a Christian can observe Saturday as the Sabbath, and if there is any way that this can be helpful to his/her spiritual life? Most notably I would be interested in hearing an Ethiopian perspective, as, from what I have heard, observing Saturday as the Sabbath is actually a standard of the EOTC.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 06:47:20 AM »

"Abstain from all observance of Sabbaths" (St. Cyril of Jerusalem - Cat. 4:37) is a sentiment shared by most of the Fathers as far as I am aware.

To observe the Sabbath as a custom - rather than a Law of God necessary for salvation - seems acceptable. Much in the same way that getting circumcised or keeping kosher for cultural reasons would be. From previous discussions on the board, I'm not sure which category Ethiopian Sabbath observance falls into.

In liturgical books, major feast days are often marked with the words "Rest from work." Therefore it would seen that the purpose of Christian Sabbath observance - if it can be so-called - is to allow a person to focus on the feast. In a normal week, the day of Resurrection seems to be the most appropriate day for such an intensified focus on prayer. That being said, total fasting is prohibited, and prostrations normally not performed on Saturdays in honour of the Sabbath.

I'm still confused as to what extent the 7th day should be honoured above the other days of the week, but strict Sabbath observance as performed by the Jews seems to be almost universally condemned by the Fathers, and a relatively late decision of the Tewahido Church.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:49:11 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Tags: sabbath 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: