OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 09:42:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox iconography  (Read 3600 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: August 27, 2010, 12:03:13 AM »

I have seen lots of Coptic and Ethiopian iconography so far, to the point where I have a sense of both of them having an overall style to them.

As to the Syrians, Indians, and Armenians however, I have not seen much iconography.

Could someone show some instances of their iconography?

I suppose that this could also just be a general thread about OO iconography as well.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 12:12:08 AM »

Armenian frescos:

http://www.lusamut.net/photoalbum/thumbnails.php?album=5

Armenian miniatures:

http://www.lusamut.net/photoalbum/thumbnails.php?album=3

http://www.armsite.com/miniatures/

http://armenianstudies.csufresno.edu/arts_of_armenia/miniatures.htm

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:17:40 AM »

Then there is this series on khatchkars (cross stones) and Armenian iconography, done by the Metropolitan Museum of Art:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=65D69B3B50417250

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 10:46:15 PM »

Is it true that the Asian OO are not as strongly iconodulic as the African OO and the Byzantines? This is the impression I have gotten and have hinted at it in the past without really getting an answer.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 01:07:50 AM »

The Armenians and Syrians don't use images as much as the Copts and Ethiopians, if that is what you mean.  We do use them, though.  In fact, I think the oldest polemic in defense of images was written by an Armenian in the early 600's.  It's just that we don't use them as much.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:16:29 AM by Salpy » Logged

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »

Is it true that the Asian OO are not as strongly iconodulic as the African OO and the Byzantines? This is the impression I have gotten and have hinted at it in the past without really getting an answer.

I think you are right. I've seen Armenian icons but not any from the Syriac and Indian Churches. Also should note, though it is not OO, but the Assyrian Church of the East does not use icons either. Perhaps its a cultural thing?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »

I think you are right. I've seen Armenian icons but not any from the Syriac and Indian Churches. Also should note, though it is not OO, but the Assyrian Church of the East does not use icons either. Perhaps its a cultural thing?
Or finances.

The ACE doesn't have the theology for icons, while the Syriac OO do.  The Syriac Church has plenty of icons in Syria, the Indian OO in America (I've never been to India).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 07:53:15 PM »

I know many of the well known Coptic Icons from around the 18th century were written by the Armenian Iconographer, Yuhanna Al-Armani.

http://books.google.com/books?id=jw5GG2FOGdMC&pg=PA60&dq=icons+Coptic+Christianity&hl=en&ei=lKB5TMacEIGB8gbrr5m-Bw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEIQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=icons%20Coptic%20Christianity&f=false

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
surajiype

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:27:51 AM »

The Syriacs did have a tradition of iconography especially using them to illustrate manuscipts , for us as Gospel covers and so on.

Presently they also use a lot of religious art which is western influenced.  Same in the case in India.  As it is reverencing an Icon as in Byzantine practice is not usually done in the syrian tradition. 

Prof Herman Teule has argued that the East Syriacs had a tradition of venerating icons in his paper 'The Veneration of Images in the West Syriac Tradition'.  I have not read the papers hence cannot comment on how convincing it is. 
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 12:53:34 AM »

I guess this is modern day Armenian iconography, based on the ancient illuminated manuscripts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BakeOCHBsc&feature=related

Aidan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 08:00:42 AM »

Can anyone tell me why the Copts (in particular,I don't know much about the other OO churches) went in for the contemporary icon style? The name Isaac Fanous comes to mind.

Personally I don't care for the style, it looks cartoonish and sentimental. Yet it wasn't always so. I have an icon of Sts Antony and Paul done in an old fashioned way.

So would anyone care to enlighten/disabuse me?

Thanks
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 08:22:09 AM »

It looks like the Copts were facing 2 problems: 1, some of them went through a period of iconoclasm with Pope Cyril IV and afterwards. 2. Like in the Orthodox Church, Coptic art went through a long period of Latinization... in fact, there are still new churches being decorated in this style.

What Isaac Fanous and others of like mind wanted to do was restore a more traditional, native iconographic tradition. Isaac Fanous, however, studied under the Orthodox Byzantine iconographer Leonid Ouspensky. I guess he was trying to combine native Coptic style with the Byzantine style he was learning. That the result looks kind of like a Disney version of Byzantine icons, I don't think was quite his intention. But there you go.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 09:33:48 AM »

Can anyone tell me why the Copts (in particular,I don't know much about the other OO churches) went in for the contemporary icon style? The name Isaac Fanous comes to mind.

Personally I don't care for the style, it looks cartoonish and sentimental. Yet it wasn't always so. I have an icon of Sts Antony and Paul done in an old fashioned way.

So would anyone care to enlighten/disabuse me?

Thanks

Can you post some photo examples of the two styles?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 09:42:05 AM »

Here are some examples of the "neo-Coptic" iconography a la Isaac Fanous:

I don't know what Aidan's icon looks like, but many Coptic churches are still decorated like this:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:43:20 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Aidan

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 01:51:38 PM »

That picture of the Theotokos looks RC ! Some Orthodox say that to portray her without Christ is heretical.

I hope I've managed to post some Coptic icons that don't look Disneyesque.
Aidan

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 01:53:47 PM »

What about the oldest icon (alledgedly) from Egypt!
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 11:59:20 PM »

Maybe there is something wrong with me (OK, nobody answer that  Smiley ) but I like the neo-Coptic style of icons.  The faces are open and beautiful.

As far as the Latin-style icons go, that seeped into the Armenian Church also, I think starting in the 1700's.  As Iconodule indicated above, all Orthodox Churches, both EO and OO, came under that influence.  There is a movement, though, to bring back the old style, which is a good thing.   Smiley

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 01:29:20 AM »

Here are some examples of the "neo-Coptic" iconography a la Isaac Fanous:

I don't know what Aidan's icon looks like, but many Coptic churches are still decorated like this:

I actually like both of these styles. Though obviously I like the Fanous style more (admittedly it's actually one of my favorite styles). The latter Latinesque style is much more moderate than some iconography I've seen in Coptic churches around here, which are so Latin that I think they were just taken from the Latins.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 01:29:20 AM »

I guess this is modern day Armenian iconography, based on the ancient illuminated manuscripts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BakeOCHBsc&feature=related

Very interesting.

I wish I could see more of this type of stuff in Armenian churches.

coptickev

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 03:18:56 PM »

Maybe there is something wrong with me (OK, nobody answer that  Smiley ) but I like the neo-Coptic style of icons.  The faces are open and beautiful.

As far as the Latin-style icons go, that seeped into the Armenian Church also, I think starting in the 1700's.  As Iconodule indicated above, all Orthodox Churches, both EO and OO, came under that influence.  There is a movement, though, to bring back the old style, which is a good thing.   Smiley

I personally like Dr. Fanous work as well. I have several copies at home. I admit, though, that it is hard to tell the apostles apart sometimes, which is rarely a problem in Byzantine icons.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 04:47:59 PM »

I'm not so sure as to what Coptic iconography rules are, but just because they're portrayed in the churches doesn't mean it's acceptable.  If you have a video of the consecration of that particular Church, watch and see if HH Pope Shenouda consecrates that icon.  If he doesn't, then he believes it's not approved iconography in the Church.

From what I understand though, after the Zeitoun apparition, that particular Latin icon of the Theotokos became very popular with Copts, because it reminds them of the way the Theotokos appeared.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:49:32 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 07:03:34 PM »

I was planning on posting a picture of an older Coptic icon, as there was a stream of traditional ones. Then I forgot. Then I remembered at the mention of the Apostles not being easily discerned:

As you can tell, this is very much not the case in this icon. For another matter, it's also a very different style both from the Latinized style and the style of Dr. Fanous.

coptickev

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 11:26:19 PM »

I'm not so sure as to what Coptic iconography rules are, but just because they're portrayed in the churches doesn't mean it's acceptable.  If you have a video of the consecration of that particular Church, watch and see if HH Pope Shenouda consecrates that icon.  If he doesn't, then he believes it's not approved iconography in the Church.

From what I understand though, after the Zeitoun apparition, that particular Latin icon of the Theotokos became very popular with Copts, because it reminds them of the way the Theotokos appeared.
As far as I know he consecrated all the Icons of Dr. Fanous in our Church. I know he has issues with Icons depicting the Forerunner with wings, a very common theme in Greek Iconography.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 03:27:36 AM »

Dear Coptickev,

I was referring to this icon.  I don't think this is Isaac Fanous' icon because it doesn't represent his style.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags: icons Armenian Church Syriac Orthodox Indian Orthodox OO icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: