OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 03:26:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic Liturgy of Saint Cyril  (Read 533 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: August 26, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »

I read it stated that the Coptic Liturgy of Saint Cyril was a translation by Saint Cyril of the original Alexandrian rite in Greek attributed to Saint Mark the Evangelist. Is this true? Or perhaps, even if not by Saint Cyril, is the latter part true?

If so, does that mean that it it constitutes the basic form of the Liturgy for the Coptic church, with Basil and Gregory being anaphoras of it?

Also, do the Ethiopians have an anaphora that is equivalent to the Coptic Cyril?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
coptickev

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 01:07:05 PM »

I read it stated that the Coptic Liturgy of Saint Cyril was a translation by Saint Cyril of the original Alexandrian rite in Greek attributed to Saint Mark the Evangelist. Is this true? Or perhaps, even if not by Saint Cyril, is the latter part true?

If so, does that mean that it it constitutes the basic form of the Liturgy for the Coptic church, with Basil and Gregory being anaphoras of it?

Also, do the Ethiopians have an anaphora that is equivalent to the Coptic Cyril?

The tradition of the Coptic Church is that St. Cyril translated St. Marks Liturgy into Coptic from Greek, and formalizes it. Apparently up until that time (5th Century) the Liturgy was still individualized by each Bishop.

In modern usage, all three Liturgies are the same until after the Creed. The structure of St. Cyril's Liturgy differs though, it has more Litanies for example, so one can't really say that St. Basil's and St. Gregory's are simply different Anaphoras.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: