OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 11:20:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with Occultists  (Read 1216 times) Average Rating: 0
Hamartolos
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: August 25, 2010, 06:30:43 PM »

My nephew has been dating this girl on and off for a few years now.  A few months ago, I found out she actively engaged in Satanic or Occult rituals.  Although I've been told she doesn't anymore, I don't believe it.  I don't like to be around her as I get a very uncomfortable feeling.  She's around my younger nephews as well, whom I have had to step up and care for since my sister is going through... a mid-life crisis? 

This worries me.  While the nephew in question, who is 19, has always been a bit of a brat (quit school, never has worked a job, whines all the time), I've noticed his anger excel and has done some bizarre things as of late.  I've prayed for Christ to keep away all enemies of him and to protect us but she's not going away. Any advice?

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 06:51:17 PM »

My nephew has been dating this girl on and off for a few years now.  A few months ago, I found out she actively engaged in Satanic or Occult rituals.  Although I've been told she doesn't anymore, I don't believe it.  I don't like to be around her as I get a very uncomfortable feeling.  She's around my younger nephews as well, whom I have had to step up and care for since my sister is going through... a mid-life crisis?  

This worries me.  While the nephew in question, who is 19, has always been a bit of a brat (quit school, never has worked a job, whines all the time), I've noticed his anger excel and has done some bizarre things as of late.  I've prayed for Christ to keep away all enemies of him and to protect us but she's not going away. Any advice?
Dude that happened to me. I knew this girl who was a witch, a Wiccan, and she told me that she won't stop anymore,from Italy. non smetterò mai she told me in Italian.
And she told me that she believed in the gods.
I just act amiably whenever I see her.
Besides dude we all had pagan ancestors. Are we gonna treat our ancestors badly cause they were pagans?
Yeah.. strange times.
These nature worshipers can't see how mother nature killed so many Haitians in Haiti, or left many homeless in Pakistan, Or how the modern religion is a shadow of its former self. In fact they don't even know how exactly the ancient pagans believed.
Pray, personally I think that orthodox girls are better than witches, because The orthodox girls have the concept of the Love of God, that witches don't, a very beautiful concept.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:53:49 PM by Christianus » Logged
Hamartolos
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 07:00:40 PM »

Was that a serious post?

Allegation of innuendo removed from post...  Please do not post such defamatory content again.  -PtA
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:41:01 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 07:11:40 PM »

My advice is to avoid them both.

If you can't, then send their names to as many priests and monasteries as you can to ask for prayers for their salvation from the enemy.

My nephew has been dating this girl on and off for a few years now.  A few months ago, I found out she actively engaged in Satanic or Occult rituals.  Although I've been told she doesn't anymore, I don't believe it.  I don't like to be around her as I get a very uncomfortable feeling.  She's around my younger nephews as well, whom I have had to step up and care for since my sister is going through... a mid-life crisis? 

This worries me.  While the nephew in question, who is 19, has always been a bit of a brat (quit school, never has worked a job, whines all the time), I've noticed his anger excel and has done some bizarre things as of late.  I've prayed for Christ to keep away all enemies of him and to protect us but she's not going away. Any advice?

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 07:38:30 PM »

Content built solely around quote of slanderous drug reference removed...  -PtA
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:58:46 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »

Hinestly, occultists arent all that bad.
many of them (in high magick) can read hebrew and know the associations for many of the hebrew script, etc. and know many names of God from the tanukh & torah, etc.

Reagrdless, their energy is misplaced and they open themselves up spiritually without realizing it.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 08:34:29 PM »

1. You seem to be praying for deliverance for yourself and your nephew from enemies, and even from this girl. That seems a bit of an isolationist approach. I would think it more proper and probably more effectual if you were praying for her deliverance as well.

2. Not everything that is labeled "occult" these days is truly anti-Christian. Make sure you know exactly what she is dabbling in before you judge her.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 08:52:24 PM »

My nephew has been dating this girl on and off for a few years now.  A few months ago, I found out she actively engaged in Satanic or Occult rituals. 
I'm curious: how did you find this out?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Hamartolos
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 11:32:57 PM »

1. You seem to be praying for deliverance for yourself and your nephew from enemies, and even from this girl. That seems a bit of an isolationist approach. I would think it more proper and probably more effectual if you were praying for her deliverance as well.

2. Not everything that is labeled "occult" these days is truly anti-Christian. Make sure you know exactly what she is dabbling in before you judge her.

It's difficult to pray for one who doesn't wish to be delivered.

My nephew has been dating this girl on and off for a few years now.  A few months ago, I found out she actively engaged in Satanic or Occult rituals. 
I'm curious: how did you find this out?

During one of their break-ups, he told me how he an encounter with her at college (when he was still enrolled) where she told him all about her new 'religion'.  One day, while sitting with them, she told me all about how she sees her 'spirit animal' and about some of her experiences.  It was one of the first times I had actually talked to her.  I think the last too.

Hamartolos
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 11:33:22 PM »

My advice is to avoid them both.

If you can't, then send their names to as many priests and monasteries as you can to ask for prayers for their salvation from the enemy.

Thank you Father.  I will do this.

Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 11:44:42 PM »

Was that a serious post?  Drug reference removed  -PtA
sorry, it was a sloppy post.
but It's true that I met an Italian witch, a Wiccan.
Si chiamava una strega.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:59:19 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Hamartolos
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 12:08:39 AM »

Content built solely around quote of slanderous drug reference removed...  -PtA
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:00:02 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 01:33:18 AM »

That's Cold... Grin I can see he tried to help ... I suggest You List first names  in the prayer forum ,There Nothing  Greater,
than prayers of the fathful........Plus what Fr. Suggested....
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:00:28 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 04:12:20 PM »

sorry, it was a sloppy post.
but It's true that I met an Italian witch, a Wiccan.
Si chiamava una strega.
Ah, a stregha. I've met one too. Or, to be more precise, I met someone who had a grandmother who was a stregha: the grandmother asked her if she would like to have her powers after she (the grandmother) passed away, and she said "No thanks".

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 04:13:36 PM »

During one of their break-ups, he told me how he an encounter with her at college (when he was still enrolled) where she told him all about her new 'religion'.  One day, while sitting with them, she told me all about how she sees her 'spirit animal' and about some of her experiences.  It was one of the first times I had actually talked to her.  I think the last too.
A 'spirit animal' isn't exactly 'satanic'.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Hamartolos
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 04:16:47 PM »

Uh...yeah it is?  Sorry, but if you are seeing "spirit animals" (of course, that's not what you're really seeing) then you're intimately connected to the Evil One. 

You're kidding me, right?  It's not like she saw a bunny run across the road and claimed it as her spirit animal.  Seeing panthers in PA..in your home...is not from God.  The people who do see these things are far from the light of God, by their own accord.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 04:28:49 PM »

Uh...yeah it is?  Sorry, but if you are seeing "spirit animals" (of course, that's not what you're really seeing) then you're intimately connected to the Evil One. 

You're kidding me, right?  It's not like she saw a bunny run across the road and claimed it as her spirit animal.  Seeing panthers in PA..in your home...is not from God.  The people who do see these things are far from the light of God, by their own accord.
Spirit animals are a valued part of Native American spirituality. Each animal symbolizes a certain virtue, or trait. The panther, for instance, is known for his power and grace.

Now, I don't know what this girl is doing in order to "see" her spirit animal. As far as I know, she might simply be meditating in the woods. Does she invoke some demonic entity?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 04:29:35 PM »

I have yet to hear of someone who claims that their spirit animal is a wildebeest or a gnat or a flatworm.
Hamartolos
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 04:48:30 PM »

During one of their break-ups, he told me how he an encounter with her at college (when he was still enrolled) where she told him all about her new 'religion'.  One day, while sitting with them, she told me all about how she sees her 'spirit animal' and about some of her experiences.  It was one of the first times I had actually talked to her.  I think the last too.

Uh...yeah it is?  Sorry, but if you are seeing "spirit animals" (of course, that's not what you're really seeing) then you're intimately connected to the Evil One.  

You're kidding me, right?  It's not like she saw a bunny run across the road and claimed it as her spirit animal.  Seeing panthers in PA..in your home...is not from God.  The people who do see these things are far from the light of God, by their own accord.
Spirit animals are a valued part of Native American spirituality. Each animal symbolizes a certain virtue, or trait. The panther, for instance, is known for his power and grace.

Now, I don't know what this girl is doing in order to "see" her spirit animal. As far as I know, she might simply be meditating in the woods. Does she invoke some demonic entity?

From the Orthodox perspective...yes.  

So..let me understand this.  If you saw a vision of a panther in your home..you would say, "Thank you God for showing me power and grace!"?  I think/hope not.  What do Native Americans have to do with Orthodox Christian spirituality?  They don't worship God, they worship "nature".  If you think this is compatible with Orthodoxy, maybe you should seek out advice from a priest.  

She doesn't have to specifically invoke a demonic entity by name in order to be under one's influence or attach herself to one.  People who use the Ouija board come to mind
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 04:50:27 PM by mctaviix » Logged

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »

I have yet to hear of someone who claims that their spirit animal is a wildebeest
No wildebeests in North America, though there are bison.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 05:03:52 PM »

Animal spirits and animistic stuff may have demonic influences, but it is not exactly capital-S "Satanic". For better or for worse, forms of animism have coexisted with Christianity in many cultures, even Orthodox ones. I'm not saying it's wholesome or entirely blameless, but the Church has shown that there are positive aspects mixed in with the old religions, and that there is truth in there, even if obscured by error. The work of demons is real but so is the fact that the creation reveals to us the Creator; the veneration of many peoples of the world for nature led them to some knowledge of God. Simply saying, "Oh, they are demon worshippers and that's that" is not helpful and, in my opinion, not consistent with a Church whose saints have found value in Plato and Laozi.

Now, coming to your situation- I don't know the specifics or the people involved, but I do live in PA. When I hear some teenager in PA talk about seeing "animal spirits", the first thing that comes to my mind isn't "Uh oh, Satanist!" Unless he's a Native American, it probably means he's been hanging around the "metaphysical" section in Barnes and Noble, between forays into the woods in search of fairy circles. Can this be dangerous? Sure, but it's probably a phase; if the girl says she doesn't do it anymore, it's probably true- she likely got bored with it and moved on to something else.

Pray for them. Whether they would want you to pray for them, or whether they desire God's help, isn't relevant. We should pray for all. 

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 05:05:34 PM »

"If you can't, then send their names to as many priests and monasteries as you can to ask for prayers for their salvation from the enemy."

Great advice.

Maybe the poster can put the names in the prayer forum as well.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 05:07:50 PM »

"Pray for them. Whether they would want you to pray for them, or whether they desire God's help, isn't relevant. We should pray for all." 

Beautifully said.
Hamartolos
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 07:42:02 PM »

Animal spirits and animistic stuff may have demonic influences, but it is not exactly capital-S "Satanic". For better or for worse, forms of animism have coexisted with Christianity in many cultures, even Orthodox ones. I'm not saying it's wholesome or entirely blameless, but the Church has shown that there are positive aspects mixed in with the old religions, and that there is truth in there, even if obscured by error. The work of demons is real but so is the fact that the creation reveals to us the Creator; the veneration of many peoples of the world for nature led them to some knowledge of God. Simply saying, "Oh, they are demon worshippers and that's that" is not helpful and, in my opinion, not consistent with a Church whose saints have found value in Plato and Laozi.

Now, coming to your situation- I don't know the specifics or the people involved, but I do live in PA. When I hear some teenager in PA talk about seeing "animal spirits", the first thing that comes to my mind isn't "Uh oh, Satanist!" Unless he's a Native American, it probably means he's been hanging around the "metaphysical" section in Barnes and Noble, between forays into the woods in search of fairy circles. Can this be dangerous? Sure, but it's probably a phase; if the girl says she doesn't do it anymore, it's probably true- she likely got bored with it and moved on to something else.

Pray for them. Whether they would want you to pray for them, or whether they desire God's help, isn't relevant. We should pray for all.  

I understand what you're saying, however let me talk about a few of your points.  I did not say Native Americans are 'Satan Worshipers", rather I said someone who sees 'animal spirits' is probably not seeing anything from God.  This is true and consistent with Church teaching.  As for those who have grown up and practiced these religions, there are many theological and psychological explanations to them.  I will not say what they are seeing.  Frankly, I really don't care.  What I care about is a girl who has animosity towards Christianity and a background in the Occult being around my youngest nephews as well as in my home etc.  Which by the way, has experienced paranormal things by other members of my family (who are not at all religious).  These things did not occur before she came around.

I pray for this woman and did prior to posting on this website.  Fr. gave the best advice here and has cleared the matter up for me.  

In my situation, stemming from my OP, the girl I speak of had said she quit messing with the Occult.  However, she has also offered inconsistent statements on this and there are other aspects that I have not offered here.  Also, let's say she truly has quit the Occult.  Great, I pray for her that she does.  Until she completely abandons those practices, and returns to God in however she does, those negative spirits and demons that she attracted and attached will remain with her.  Simply quitting does not rid one of the darkness that follows.

Also, in respect to Plato and other Greek philosophers that numerous saints in Byzantium borrowed/used their methods and/or teachings.  Borrowing philosophy is one thing but worshiping Zeus is another.  So, to say "Oh we're all the same" or all religions are correct etc. (not that you used these exact words) is not helpful nor is it consistent with Orthodox teaching.  

Quite simply; if you are/were involved with the Occult/Satanism and see 'spirit animals' it is not from God.  Find me a priest who says otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:43:13 PM by mctaviix » Logged

Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 08:14:38 PM »

Sound slike delusional neo-pagan brain-washing to me. Unless she actually is clairvoyant in that sense.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 09:19:56 PM »

My nephew has been dating this girl on and off for a few years now.  A few months ago, I found out she actively engaged in Satanic or Occult rituals.  Although I've been told she doesn't anymore, I don't believe it.  I don't like to be around her as I get a very uncomfortable feeling.  She's around my younger nephews as well, whom I have had to step up and care for since my sister is going through... a mid-life crisis?  

This worries me.  While the nephew in question, who is 19, has always been a bit of a brat (quit school, never has worked a job, whines all the time), I've noticed his anger excel and has done some bizarre things as of late.  I've prayed for Christ to keep away all enemies of him and to protect us but she's not going away. Any advice?
Dude that happened to me. I knew this girl who was a witch, a Wiccan, and she told me that she won't stop anymore,from Italy. non smetterò mai she told me in Italian.
And she told me that she believed in the gods.
I just act amiably whenever I see her.
Besides dude we all had pagan ancestors. Are we gonna treat our ancestors badly cause they were pagans?
Yeah.. strange times.
These nature worshipers can't see how mother nature killed so many Haitians in Haiti, or left many homeless in Pakistan, Or how the modern religion is a shadow of its former self. In fact they don't even know how exactly the ancient pagans believed.
Pray, personally I think that orthodox girls are better than witches, because The orthodox girls have the concept of the Love of God, that witches don't, a very beautiful concept.
If I met my truly ancient (or more recent) ancestors who didn't know Christ, I would witness to them wouldn't you?

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »

Really? It isn't for me. It seems odd to me that you have that problem.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Hamartolos
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 04:55:52 PM »

Perhaps I misstated.  I do pray for her; not that how I pray is your concern.  What I meant is that if one deliberately does not want to be delivered from demons, then they won't be.  God gave us free will.  

I'm really happy that you are holier than I am.  What's that called when you approach a situation and essentially say "I'm better at praying than you are!". 

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 04:58:56 PM by mctaviix » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 12:57:30 AM »

Perhaps I misstated.  I do pray for her; not that how I pray is your concern.  What I meant is that if one deliberately does not want to be delivered from demons, then they won't be.  God gave us free will.  

I'm really happy that you are holier than I am.  What's that called when you approach a situation and essentially say "I'm better at praying than you are!". 

That was not my intention. I was more so trying to get at my suspicion that you are avoiding "praying for your enemies".

Tags: occult demons Paganism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: