OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 12:30:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eurovision  (Read 973 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: August 25, 2010, 05:00:41 AM »

Hey, I really like the recent winners, Lena Meyer-Landrut and Alexander Rybak (supposed to be Orthodox, btw), and a few other contestants. Are there any other fans? (If you are not familiar with it, this a contest of singers who are already famous their home countries.)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:11:26 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 05:21:11 AM »

I try to see the Eurovision (at least the finals) every year. Actually, Lena Meyer-Landrut will sing again next year for
Germany.

Not all singers who participate in the Eurovision are already famous in their home countries, for example Lena was unknown in Germany before, but trained by Stefan Raab, a famous TV presenter and singer, who participated in the Eurovision before himself. In fact, there are different ways of deciding who runs for a country, sometimes it is just the TV station of that country, sometimes they hold a vote...
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 05:26:50 AM »

I consider myself a eurovision fan.  Smiley

I first watched the contest with my parents in 1983, and I was only 5 at that time! My father recorded the show so that we could watch it over and over. I had two favourites: Daniel Popovich, who competed for Yugoslavia and Remedios Amaya, who competed for Spain. Yugoslavia came 4th whereas Spain came last with nil points.  Sad

While attending university, I could not follow the contest and was sometimes unaware of its schedule. However, in 2003 I retrieved my interest in the contest and resumed following it in 2003. In 2006 I became an addicted fan to the point of chatting everyday in a eurovision song chatroom and making many friends.

I liked the show of 2006 and 2007, but was not pleased with the winner of the former. (I did not like Lordi!). In 2007 I was elated to see Serbia win the contest with the beautiful song "molitva" sung by Marija Serifovic. I do not think Dima Bilan deserved to win in 2008. His song in 2006 was much better. In 2009 the fairy tale won, but IMHO Iceland deserved the first place more than Norway. I am very happy that Germany has won this year! "Satellite" is a beautiful song indeed.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 05:47:25 AM »

Actually for me Lordi's song was the best I've heard on Eurovision.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 09:46:39 AM »

Actually for me Lordi's song was the best I've heard on Eurovision.

First time hearing about this.....eurovision.....Question....
Do all the participants Have to sing in english....I would love to hear them sing in there native Languages..... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 09:49:50 AM »

There is no obligation which language to sing in and many performers sing in their native ones.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 09:54:17 AM »

There is no obligation which language to sing in and many performers sing in their native ones.

I googled it...it directed me to songs sung in english only ....you  have a link..... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 10:37:15 AM »

Pozdrav brate,  Wink

In the past, contestants were not allowed to sing in a language other than their mother tongue, but now there is no language rule.

For further info: http://www.eurovision.tv/page/home

You should listen to Marija Serifovic first! The winner of esc 2007: Serbia (song named molitva). Grin

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 10:57:49 AM »

The only song I've ever heard from Eurovision is that great classic "My Lovely Horse." Wink

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 12:47:53 PM »

Pozdrav brate,  Wink

In the past, contestants were not allowed to sing in a language other than their mother tongue, but now there is no language rule.

For further info: http://www.eurovision.tv/page/home

You should listen to Marija Serifovic first! The winner of esc 2007: Serbia (song named molitva). Grin

Hvalati za Link.....I'll Have to learn how navigate thur everything and find it..... Grin

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »

Lena would be good if she didn't use such a low class accent and dialect.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 01:35:57 PM »

Admiralnick,

Do you have any problems with Britain?
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 03:50:37 AM »

I was introduced to it via youtube, so I watch a lot of songs that way.  This is a really nice English language song, Safura - Drip Drop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YubbH2wa3DE

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 06:36:11 AM »

I was introduced to it via youtube, so I watch a lot of songs that way.  This is a really nice English language song, Safura - Drip Drop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YubbH2wa3DE

Thank's For the U-tube Link.....Wishing you a welcoming , to Holy Orthodoxy..........

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 01:03:13 PM »

Admiralnick,

Yea, I have a problem with a person speaking cockney English, especially when they aren't even consistent.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 05:10:49 PM »

Admiralnick,

Yea, I have a problem with a person speaking cockney English, especially when they aren't even consistent.

-Nick
Roll Eyes Well, she speaks the way her English teacher did/taught. I like it. It's cute. Feel free to disagree. Doesn't change much with those of us who like it.

Thank's For the U-tube Link.....Wishing you a welcoming , to Holy Orthodoxy..........
Thank you and you are welcome.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:13:08 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 06:18:52 AM »

Hey, there are CDs of Eurovsion hits on Amazon.com.

Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 05:12:02 PM »

Hey, there are CDs of Eurovsion hits on Amazon.com.
I wonder if they will find enough people to buy these CDs. Here in Europe, hardly anyone still buys CDs. Any kind of music can be found on the net these days, and people here don't really feel copyright infringement to be a bad thing.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »

You have to love Elena Paparizou 2005 winner. Her voice is incredible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icP8PqdW59k&feature=related

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Tags: Eurovision music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: