OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 12:09:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicagoland Ukrainian Church pictures: UOCUSA, Ukrainian Catholic, UOC-KP  (Read 2008 times) Average Rating: 0
cossack 316

Faith: Ukrainian orthodox Church

« on: August 24, 2010, 04:00:11 PM »

I took some pictures of several Ukrainian churches from the Chicagoland area. These churches represent the 3 major Ukrainian churches the UOCUSA under Constantinople, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Kyivan Patriarchate, and the Ukrainian Catholic Church. Whatever your beliefs, we all agree that the Ukrainian Churches are beautiful, inside and out.

Please any thoughts on the architecture, iconostasis are welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43982287@N05/sets/72157624799422872/with/4924448346/
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:22:25 PM »

I took some pictures of several Ukrainian churches from the Chicagoland area. These churches represent the 3 major Ukrainian churches the UOCUSA under Constantinople, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Kyivan Patriarchate, and the Ukrainian Catholic Church. Whatever your beliefs, we all agree that the Ukrainian Churches are beautiful, inside and out.

Please any thoughts on the architecture, iconostasis are welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43982287@N05/sets/72157624799422872/with/4924448346/
This is the Ukrainian Church i attended for Pacha a few yrs, back...I didn't care for the ikonastasis at all..i prefer the greek style.....The other thing i didn't care about was the eastern catholic bishop and clergy participated in the service and the prosession,that made me so angry, i never went back.... Angry

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:24:45 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »

Stashko, what do you mean by "participated"?  Were they actually in the Altar?

Thanks for lovely photos Cossack.  Who is officiating in photo:  DSCF0359?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 04:28:46 PM »

Stashko, what do you mean by "participated"?  Were they actually in the Altar?

Thanks for lovely photos Cossack.  Who is officiating in photo:  DSCF0359?

The eastern Catholic Bishop was vested and mitre with his clergy, inside the Altar ,they lead the prosession with orthodox Bishop.... You Mention That the Orthodox metropolitan / bishop Past away it was the time he was alive that it happened..I mentioned this before and thats when you mentioned there was a new Metropolitan...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:53:34 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
cossack 316

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »

Liza, that I believe is Patriarch Filaret of the UOCKP when he came to bless the new mosiac of St. Andrews.
Stashko, I doubt it was an Eastern Catholic bishop who served when you visited St. Volodymyr's for pasca a few years back. St. Volodymyr is Ukrainian Orthodox under the Eccumenical Patriarch and eastern catholic bishops 1, typically dont follow the old calendar which the Ukrainian Orthodox do and 2, it was probably Archbishop Vsevelod of blessed memory you are recalling as he would have served at his cathedral for pascha. Archbishop Vsevelod was an Archbishop under the UOCUSA under Constantinople.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »

Liza, that I believe is Patriarch Filaret of the UOCKP when he came to bless the new mosiac of St. Andrews.
Stashko, I doubt it was an Eastern Catholic bishop who served when you visited St. Volodymyr's for pasca a few years back. St. Volodymyr is Ukrainian Orthodox under the Eccumenical Patriarch and eastern catholic bishops 1, typically dont follow the old calendar which the Ukrainian Orthodox do and 2, it was probably Archbishop Vsevelod of blessed memory you are recalling as he would have served at his cathedral for pascha. Archbishop Vsevelod was an Archbishop under the UOCUSA under Constantinople.

Yes some do...the eastern catholic ukrainians split the have two churches one new calander and one old calander across from one another, under the same Bishop though...It's here in chicago... Grin Plus the Orthodox one i posted is almost right around the corner...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:52:41 PM by stashko » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 04:41:51 PM »

Old Calender Ukrainian Greek Catholic...chicago.. Grin Across from it is the New Calendar Greek Catholic Ukrainian Church on North Oakley....Both Very Nice on the inside the new calender has a confession booth the last time i visited it,.. Grin The Area that these church are located  is called Ukrainian Village....some call it wicker Park ..though.... Grin

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:13:31 PM by stashko » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 04:46:41 PM »

Greek Catholic Ukrainian..... Grin Altar is on the west side of this church ,they said architectural error,I Like the Outside of this Church ,,It really Ugly On the Inside though...

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:00:00 PM by stashko » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 05:23:20 PM »

Trust me It was the Eastern Catholics Clergy ,Because I asked who the were and i was told who they were ...The seating goes Downward like a amphitheater or stadium seating in this orthodox church..... Grin
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:26:21 PM by stashko » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 05:40:08 PM »

Found it.. Grin....the New Calender Ukrainian Eastern Catholic Church thats on North Oakley North of Chicago Ave. Across from the Old Calender Ukrainian Eastern Catholic Church ,south of chicago ave on Oakley......Both Are very Beautiful outside and in..... Grin

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:42:04 PM by stashko » Logged

cossack 316

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 06:54:43 PM »

I apologize, Stashko, I thought you meant you were in St. Volodymyr Ukrainian ORTHODOX church for Pascha and saw an Ukrainian Catholic Bishop, not in a Ukrainian Catholic Church. And you are right some Eastern Catholics are old calender and some are new.

I don't think however that either do the midnight liturgy that we orthodox do.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 07:06:31 PM »

The Eastern Catholic Bishop and his Clergy were At the Othodox Church at Pascha, in the Orthodox Altar and vested...To Me This sends Mixed signals to the Orthodox Faithful..Why Be Orthodox or Eastern Catholic just jump around ,whatever makes you feel good ,this i didn't care for, the mixed messages given by this act thats what angered me.... Grin
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:29:57 PM by stashko » Logged

ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 07:10:20 PM »

Nice pictures. I agree Stashko seeing things like that is very disheartening.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 07:21:52 PM »

I might Have to go back to The Holy Ukrainian Orthodox Church ,and teach them ,Orthodoxy Or Death ,there's Nothing Else.....Just Pale Imitations ,stay away from them and all inter faith services... Grin
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:24:49 PM by stashko » Logged

cossack 316

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 07:33:03 PM »

Yeah we Ukrainians are a crazy people, no question about it. Personally, this is just my opinion, but I think the Ukrainian Catholic Church would be open to breaking away from Rome and joining with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church if and when the UOCKP is deemed cannonical. Most Ukrainians who are Ukrainian Catholic view themselves as more Orthodox than Catholic. Most of the Ukrainian Catholics dont even consider themselves Catholic, but Orthodox in Communion with Rome, the same way the UOCUSA are in communion with Constantinople.

Now I don't agree with that, if you recognize the pope as your supreme pontiff, then you are Catholic, but then again, I am Orthodox. Some day there will be 1 United Ukrainian Orthodox church maybe someday with the Ukrainian Catholics joining and leaving Rome. However due to money, politics, and hierarchs vanity on ALL SIDES, I doubt this will happen in my lifetime.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 03:24:40 AM »

This is a bit off topic but ...

Cossack - beautiful photos! I'm in the process of creating an on-line directory of Eastern & Oriental Catholic parishes and trying to illustrate each entry with an exterior and an interior photo, so that visitors can appreciate the beauty of our temples. Am just about to begin doing entries for the UGCC parishes in the US and would love to use a few of these photos to illustrate the entries for the Chicago-area parishes. I would, of course, credit them to you. Would you be willing to allow their use?

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
cossack 316

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 11:22:06 AM »

Neil, by all means go ahead.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »

Thanks for sharing these. When I visited last summer, I couldn't get into any of these buildings. They were all locked and nobody was around. This was on a Saturday evening so I had thought there would be vespers services, but I guess Ukrainians don't like Great Vespers?
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 01:09:19 PM »

Thanks for sharing these. When I visited last summer, I couldn't get into any of these buildings. They were all locked and nobody was around. This was on a Saturday evening so I had thought there would be vespers services, but I guess Ukrainians don't like Great Vespers?

There is the Holy Ukrainian Orthodox Not Far From the two Easten Catholic Ones..It's Down the street from the New calander Ukrainian one...On North Oakley...Maybe eastern Catholics Go to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church for Vesper Services and other services that there churches cut out...... Grin

cossack 316

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 02:03:44 PM »

I know my church does vespers on Saturday's  (St. Andrew's, blue roof, gold dome in pic) which is Ukrainian Orthodox. I don't think Ukrainian Catholic churches do vespers on Saturdays
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: