OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 12:01:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can and should I be baptized again?  (Read 9943 times) Average Rating: 0
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2010, 02:40:56 PM »

LOL. Actually, in Arabic it is never written al Masih, always almasih, and never al rabb but always alrabb.

This is the final drop. After having exposed my ignorance on this issue, I may withdraw from this thread in peace now.  Grin

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2010, 04:35:37 PM »

LOL. Actually, in Arabic it is never written al Masih, always almasih, and never al rabb but always alrabb.

This is the final drop. After having exposed my ignorance on this issue, I may withdraw from this thread in peace now.  Grin
Brate ,Pozdrav
To be humble is the beginning of wisdom......and to admit when one can be possibly wrong..... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2010, 01:27:22 AM »

2. The personal name of the Arabic moon-god, who was the primary deity of Mecca, appears to actually have been Hubal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubal  Undecided
So no, you're acting as if "Allah" was the name that the Arabs used to refer to their moon-god. In fact it was Hubal. Allah is the name only of the deity typically ascribed to Islam. Any association of the two is based merely off of one archaeological site ascribed to Allah in which this one speculates it was actually Hubal.

Hubal was the equivalent of Baal in Mecca. Allah, on the other hand, was the name of another deity Meccan pagans worshipped.

Yes, this is true. However, you identified "Allah" as the moon-god, when in fact Hubal was the moon-god. "Allah" was actually the creator god in Arabic Paganism, something which the Qur'an itself testifies to.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #228 on: August 31, 2010, 01:27:22 AM »

Because Ra was a fundamentally Pagan deity and at that clearly not the deity which Christians adopted from Mosaic Judaism.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #229 on: August 31, 2010, 06:11:18 AM »

to the Church of Smyrna (Cool (which IIRC, is where Theophilos now worships)

Is there an active Orthodox parish in Smyrna/Izmir now? It seemed to me that the last one had ended its activities in 1923... but then again, there are lots of Russians there now, so it might be one of the cities where the MP lends priests to the EP for ministering to them?

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=356263

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #230 on: August 31, 2010, 06:47:21 AM »

Is there an active Orthodox parish in Smyrna/Izmir now? It seemed to me that the last one had ended its activities in 1923... but then again, there are lots of Russians there now, so it might be one of the cities where the MP lends priests to the EP for ministering to them?

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=356263

This is not the place where I worship though. The news talks about a renovated building that will function as a social and cultural center. The Church I attend for religious service is named Agia Fotini. I may have posted some pictures of it here at Easter. Here is a video clip I myself filmed there (very amateurish):  Grin

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x94y8l_the-ep-visiting-my-church_lifestyle

The building used to be a Protestant Dutch Church before it was handed over to the Greek Consulate and converted into a Greek Orthodox Church. The worshippers are mostly Greek, but at Easter we have many Orthodox faithful of Slavonic origin.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #231 on: August 31, 2010, 07:18:40 AM »

As my parents' friend says: Every time I go to Church, they sing "Christ is risen"!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #232 on: August 31, 2010, 11:13:01 AM »

Ahh, thrust a stereotype into the conversation to try and win points.  Old trick, old result - no dice.  I've seen fonts designed by parishioners, crafted with their own hands; no one said anything about having gold, silver, platinum, marble, etc. fonts.
Again, parishioners with the time, skill, and resources to do this are not in every parish. 
That is true, and no potential member of the Body of Christ should be penalized for that.
I agree. He should not be penalized with an uncanonical baptism by pouring.

You should know by now that pouring isn't "uncanonical," just not preferred.  It's been referenced in this thread before.

A nice solution I've seen here is that a more well parish or two build in a full size font for aduts (btw, there are building  codes to worry about), and let other parishes use the facilities as needed.  Btw, we have baptzied plenty in horse troughs. We have two coming up next month, IIRC.

I know of a number of cities where the parishes do this; it's a wonderful cooperation, and in most cases a great display of inter-Orthodox cooperation!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #233 on: August 31, 2010, 01:57:28 PM »

As my parents' friend says: Every time I go to Church, they sing "Christ is risen"!

Grin

And someone could say something similar: "Every time I go to Church, they have the great blessing of the waters".

Tags: baptism 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: