Author Topic: Can and should I be baptized again?  (Read 33825 times)

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
Re: Can and should I be baptized again?
« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2010, 10:46:15 PM »

Both Christians and Muslims use an Arabic word, but mean different things. What is so difficult to unterstand about it? When CHP says "freedom" (özgürlük), they mean the freedom to be without headscarf. When AKP says freedom, they mean the freedom to be WITH headscarf. Same word, opposite meaning.

Can I follow this example and pray to Apollon, having in mind the true God of Christianity? Or would it be wrong for me to pray to Apollon no matter how I strive to prove that MY Apollon is different from THE Apollon of the Greek mythology?  ::)

You are again overlooking the fact that Arabic Christianity preceded Islam.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2010, 10:46:15 PM »
The question should be: How can Christians insist on using the word Allah if they know that it was the name of a pagan deity?

Some Arabic pagan group referring to their god as "the god" sounds potentially generic as well.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2010, 10:46:15 PM »
So are you ok with the pagan term logos?

Platonist for that matter.

Nice one.  ;)

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2010, 06:48:26 AM »
So are you ok with the pagan term logos?

Was Logos the name of a pagan deity? Do some non-Christians still stick to their deity of pagan origin named Logos today and insist on using his name in their worship?  ::)
Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2010, 06:50:34 AM »

You are again overlooking the fact that Islam adopted the name Allah from Meccan pagans, not from Christians.

Allah = Hubal

Here is a nice article that proves the followers of Allah in manifest error:

http://www.answering-islam.org/Nehls/tt1/tt5.html

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2010, 06:57:20 AM »

Allah is the name of the Christian God for Arabic Christians, a name which they used before the introduction of the worship of the God of Islam.

Case closed.

Cannot be true in the light of the divine manifestation in Exodus 3:15.

"I AM THAT I AM. This is my NAME from generation to generation".

No Christian has the right to replace the true name of the Biblical God with a name ascribed also to the chief god of Meccan paganism.

Case closed.  :angel:

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2010, 06:59:14 AM »
Don't you see the difference between proper nouns ad common nouns?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2010, 07:00:46 AM »
Was Logos the name of a pagan deity? Do some non-Christians still stick to their deity of pagan origin named Logos today and insist on using his name in their worship?  ::)

Yah/Yahweh was used as a personal name for pagan deities by Canaanites. Who cares?

You were baptised bism il-Ab, wal-Ibn, war-Ru7il Qudus, not bism Illah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim. Relax.

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2010, 07:06:25 AM »

Yah/Yahweh was used as a personal name for pagan deities by Canaanites. Who cares?

Evidence for the claim that some Caananites had the name Yahweh for their pagan deities please.

You were baptised bism il-Ab, wal-Ibn, war-Ru7il Qudus, not bism Illah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim. Relax.

But the word Allah was used throughout the ritual, even in the Nicene Creed! I do not believe that Jesus is the Son of Allah, but of Yahweh! Allah had many sons and daughters, Allat being one of them! I want to be a Christian instead of a pagan of Mecca!

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2010, 07:07:20 AM »

Allah is treated as a proper noun as a rival for Yahweh.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2010, 07:17:53 AM »

Allah is treated as a proper noun as a rival for Yahweh.

Well, no.

"Allah" is a common noun.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2010, 07:26:06 AM »

You are again overlooking the fact that Islam adopted the name Allah from Meccan pagans, not from Christians.

Allah = Hubal

Here is a nice article that proves the followers of Allah in manifest error:

http://www.answering-islam.org/Nehls/tt1/tt5.html
The very site that you point towards says this:
We are well aware that the name Allah is used by Arab speaking Christians for the God of the Bible. In fact, the root from which the name is derived, ilah, stems from the ancient Semitic languages, corresponding to the Mesopotamian IL, as well as the Hebrew-Aramaic EL, as in Ishma-el, Immanu-el, Isra-el. These terms were often used to refer to any deity worshiped as a high god, especially the chief deity amongst a pantheon of lesser gods. As such, the Holy Bible uses the term as just one of the many titles for Yahweh, the only true God.

Yet the problem arises from the fact that Muslims insist that Allah is not a title, but the personal name of the God of Islam. This becomes problematic since according to the Holy Bible the name of the God of Abraham is Yahweh/Jehovah, not Allah:

God spoke further to Moses and said to him, "I am Yahweh (YHVH) and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty; BUT BY MY NAME, YAHWEH, I did not make myself known to them." Exodus 6:2-3

Therefore, Christians can use Allah as a title but not as the personal name for the God of the Bible.
http://www.answering-islam.org/Shamoun/god.htm

Do a search to find out how many times "O God..." is found in the Bible, and remember that "God" is not a personal name.

The site that you pointed out to us presents the word "Allah" from a Muslim perspective, not a Christian one, and quite rightly points out that there is a difference.

If you insist that an Arabic speaking Christian cannot/must not say "I am a follower of Allah" (in a Christian - NOT Muslim - context), then you must use the same reasoning to forbid me, as an English speaking Christian to say, "I am a follower of God". The words "Allah" and "God" are equally pagan etymologically.

If you insist that an Arabic speaking Christian cannon/must not say "I am a follower of Allah" because that's what the Muslims say, then you must use the same reasoning to forbid me, as an English speaking Christian to say, "I am a follower of God" because that's what the Mormons say.

Please, dear friend, try to consider why you are so insistent on this matter in spite of all the evidence that has been presented.

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »

Allah = Hubal

The word "Allah" was already used by Christians before Islam, also in the Syriac language. Or how the heck would Muhammad have gotten the idea that his tribe God is the same as the God of Abraham, Moses, David, Jesus etc. ,if hje had not heard the word "Allah" amongst Christians when traveling to Syria?

Theophilos - do you trust the Orthodox church? Or do you think your own brain knows better? Pride is a great sin, so de be careful.

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2010, 03:24:28 PM »

Please, dear friend, try to consider why you are so insistent on this matter in spite of all the evidence that has been presented.

I insist that we not use the word Allah because now, after Islam, it is an Islamic term pertaining to Mohammad's false god adopted from Meccan paganism.

Do you know what some wild beasts who martyred three Christian missionaries by cutting their throats and stabbing them tens of times in a bookstore in Eastern Turkey said while committing their atrocity? They yelled: "There is no God, but allah". I respond: "To hell with them and their non-existing allah".
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 03:37:48 PM by Theophilos78 »

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2010, 03:30:54 PM »

The word "Allah" was already used by Christians before Islam, also in the Syriac language. Or how the heck would Muhammad have gotten the idea that his tribe God is the same as the God of Abraham, Moses, David, Jesus etc. ,if hje had not heard the word "Allah" amongst Christians when traveling to Syria?

Mohammad got that idea from Satan, who gave him his verses in disguise of an angel. We do not worship the same God as Muslims. Muslims do not believe in God, but allah. Their creed reads: "There is no God, but only allah".

Theophilos - do you trust the Orthodox church? Or do you think your own brain knows better? Pride is a great sin, so de be careful.

I trust the Orthodox Church as I trust the Lord, who said: "Do not be like the Gentiles when you pray". (Muslims are today's Gentiles).
I trust the tradition of the Orthodox Church. In Didache it is written that we should not fast on the same day as Jews. How can we be allowed to pray in the same way as Muslims if we are not even allowed to fast on the same day as Jews?

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2010, 03:45:41 PM »
Their creed reads: "There is no God, but only allah".

"There is no God apart from Allah" - it shows their monotheism.

BTW in Maltan (9x% RC) "Alla" means "God" too.

Are you aware that you are propably the first person to be irritating by it?

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Crimean Orthodox Church-MP
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2010, 03:48:15 PM »
I am having a really hard time following your reasoning. All I can say is that Jesus is the personal name of the 2nd person of the Triune God. However, that personal name was used by gnostics to write satanic stories so since we do not believe in the same "god" as the Gnostics should we refuse to use the name of Jesus, the Christ?

Also, on a separate note I can not state empirically that there isn't anyone beliving in a different concept of logos that corresponds to it's pre-christian meaning. There have been many times when people confused philosophy with theology or in other words made philioshy their religion.
Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.—Oscar Wilde

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »

"There is no God apart from Allah" - it shows their monotheism.

No. Muslims do not believe that Allah is a "god".

BTW in Maltan (9x% RC) "Alla" means "God" too.

Because of the Islamic invasion of Malta. It shows the influence of Islamic culture (language).

Are you aware that you are propably the first person to be irritating by it?

I do not think so. I know a few people who are allergic to Allah. A friend of mine was going to convert to Orthodoxy and receive baptism, but he changed his mind and dediced to be an unchurched Orthodox when he found out that Allah is prayed in the Orthodox Churches of Arabic population.

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2010, 03:58:36 PM »
I am having a really hard time following your reasoning. All I can say is that Jesus is the personal name of the 2nd person of the Triune God. However, that personal name was used by gnostics to write satanic stories so since we do not believe in the same "god" as the Gnostics should we refuse to use the name of Jesus, the Christ?

We have the name Jesus in our Sacred Scripture, but Allah was not originally in the Bible. It was inserted later through translation.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2010, 04:05:21 PM »
No, there wasn't "Jesus" in Scriptures. There was "Ιησούς". "Jesus" was inserted later through translation by heretic Anglicans and it's the name of their false God.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:05:50 PM by mike »

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »
No, there wasn't "Jesus" in Scriptures. There was "Ιησούς". "Jesus" was inserted later through translation by heretic Anglicans and it's the name of their false God.

Jesus = Ιησούς. they are the same name. Ιησούς was tranlated into Greek from aramaic. Please do not associate the English speaking world with heretics. Jesus would have been called Yeshua in aramaic however the Evangelists translated it into the common language which was a language of pagan gentiles.

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2010, 04:49:23 PM »

Also, I think you missed my point that some of the  so called Gnostic "gospels", which were not written in english accuse Ιησούς/Jesus/Yeshua/Joshua (pick one) of being an evil Magician that murdered people for fun. While others are content with merely perverting His teachings. So if Theophilios's point is that Arab Christians should not use Allah because it was appropriated by Muslims then it should hold true for this example as well.  

http://www.gnosis.org/library/inftoma.htm
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:04:32 PM by ICXCNIKA »

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2010, 05:38:06 PM »

I insist that we not use the word Allah because now, after Islam, it is an Islamic term pertaining to Mohammad's false god adopted from Meccan paganism.

Do you know what some wild beasts who martyred three Christian missionaries by cutting their throats and stabbing them tens of times in a bookstore in Eastern Turkey said while committing their atrocity? They yelled: "There is no God, but allah". I respond: "To hell with them and their non-existing allah".
There are so many things wrong in this statement that it would be easy for me to rebut. But you aren't listening. This is my third request to you that you seek resolution of your intense hatred of your former faith and its adherents.

Be assured of my humble prayers for you.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2010, 06:15:49 PM »
Was Logos the name of a pagan deity?

Actually, the Logos was part of the Platonist Triad.

Do some non-Christians still stick to their deity of pagan origin named Logos today and insist on using his name in their worship?  ::)

Christians are still insisting on worshiping the Logos, the concept of the Logos having originated in Platonism, yes.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2010, 06:15:49 PM »

No, I'm not. That is a total red herring. I was pointing out that Arabic Christians could not have possibly gotten "Allah" from Islam, because when they first started using the word Islam did not even exist.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2010, 06:15:49 PM »

Allah is the name of the Christian God for Arabic Christians, a name which they used before the introduction of the worship of the God of Islam.

Case closed.

Cannot be true in the light of the divine manifestation in Exodus 3:15.

"I AM THAT I AM. This is my NAME from generation to generation".

No Christian has the right to replace the true name of the Biblical God with a name ascribed also to the chief god of Meccan paganism.

Case closed.  :angel:

Cannot be true?

Well, it is true.

There is historical evidence to show this.

Arabic Christians were calling God "Allah" before Islam even existed.

If you're not willing to believe that, then that is to your own detriment.

Offline samkim

• High Elder
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2010, 06:34:40 PM »
Do you call the deity you worship "God?" If so, you could be worshipping any number of Scandinavian deities, by your logic.

Even YHWH in the Old Testament was referred to by the pagan title of Baal (because it simply means Lord). And Baal was the personal name of a pagan god.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:36:40 PM by samkim »
주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2010, 06:39:46 PM »
Do you call the deity you worship "God?" If so, you could be worshipping any number of Scandinavian deities, by your logic.

“I am that I am. This is my name forever, and this is my memorial from generation to generation." (Exodus 3:14-15)

Read about Allah and the moon god here:

http://www.answering-islam.org/Responses/Saifullah/moonotheism.htm

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2010, 06:41:40 PM »

Actually, the Logos was part of the Platonist Triad.

Logos means WORD in Greek. It is a concept rather than a personal name.

Christians are still insisting on worshiping the Logos, the concept of the Logos having originated in Platonism, yes.

Logos is not a personal name of our deity.

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2010, 06:43:22 PM »

No, I'm not. That is a total red herring. I was pointing out that Arabic Christians could not have possibly gotten "Allah" from Islam, because when they first started using the word Islam did not even exist.

Where did Muslims get the name Allah from then? Allah was the moon god of the Meccan paganism. It is so simple.

Suggested reading:

http://www.answering-islam.org/Responses/Saifullah/moonotheism.htm

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2010, 06:45:01 PM »

Cannot be true?

Well, it is true.

There is historical evidence to show this.

Arabic Christians were calling God "Allah" before Islam even existed.

If you're not willing to believe that, then that is to your own detriment.

Detriment? What kind of harm could my disbelief in the moon god cause?  ;D

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2010, 06:46:39 PM »
There are so many things wrong in this statement that it would be easy for me to rebut. But you aren't listening. This is my third request to you that you seek resolution of your intense hatred of your former faith and its adherents.

Be assured of my humble prayers for you.

Thanks for your prayers, but I am fine and happy this way. I can even impose maledictions on Muslims with the help of prayers accompanied by simple rituals.  ;)

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2010, 07:32:13 PM »

Where did Muslims get the name Allah from then?

Where did Muhammad get the idea from that "Allah" was the God of Adam, Abraham, Moses, David and Jesus?

Simply because Christians and Jews already used "Allah" to refer to their God.

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2010, 05:23:15 AM »
If our Brother Theophilos 78 ,Doesn't Like The word Allah and feels uncomforable about it  ,it's his right not to use it......We serbs don't use the word ,neither do the russian,romainians,bulgarians,polish, macidonians,belo russians....georgians....So many orthodox to chose from that don't use it.im sure there others...Some Of them May even rebaptize you ...try the serbs we don't mind  washing  the allah off in Holy Baptisim....  ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:25:47 AM by stashko »
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2010, 05:44:33 AM »
If he wanted to go to the Church naked would "you Serbs" allow him to do so also?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:44:45 AM by mike »

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2010, 05:46:25 AM »
If he wanted to go to the Church naked would "you Serbs" allow him to do so also?

If He wants to Be Naked for His Baptisim that's his choice..... ;D
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline Irish Hermit

• Kibernetski Kaludjer
  • Merarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2010, 05:52:25 AM »

Cursed be the priest who dares to baptize again a man who has been cleansed by the Baptism of the Church.  Let him be deposed and cast out of the altar!

Canon....?

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2010, 05:58:50 AM »
Creed?

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2010, 05:59:05 AM »

Cursed be the priest who dares to baptize again a man who has been cleansed by the Baptism of the Church.  Let him be deposed and cast out of the altar!

Canon....?

Oce Blagoslovi I oprocti moju Gresku......Amin   For Leading someone astray..... :angel:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:00:47 AM by stashko »

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #174 on: August 29, 2010, 06:07:37 AM »
If our Brother Theophilos 78 ,Doesn't Like The word Allah and feels uncomforable about it  ,it's his right not to use it......We serbs don't use the word ,neither do the russian,romainians,bulgarians,polish, macidonians,belo russians....georgians....So many orthodox to chose from that don't use it.im sure there others...Some Of them May even rebaptize you ...try the serbs we don't mind  washing  the allah off in Holy Baptisim....  ;D
Pozdrav .......
Brate Theophilos 78 Please don't Pay attention to my ramblings....... ;D

Offline Irish Hermit

• Kibernetski Kaludjer
  • Merarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us
« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2010, 06:12:37 AM »

Cursed be the priest who dares to baptize again a man who has been cleansed by the Baptism of the Church.  Let him be deposed and cast out of the altar!

Canon....?

Oce Blagoslovi I oprocti moju Gresku......Amin   For Leading someone astray..... :angel:

Stashko, oprosti!  That wasn't a jab at you.  I have been thinking of saying that for a while, before your message came on the list.  I think that Fr George said the same thing earlier but in a softer way -without the fireworks which I used - and people did not seem  to pay much attention to what he said.

But the repetition of the Church's Baptism does indeed call for the deposition of the priest or bishop who is guilty of performing it.

Apostolic Canon 47:

Let a bishop or presbyter who shall baptize again one who has rightly received baptism, or who shall not baptize one who has been polluted by the ungodly, be deposed, as despising the cross and death of the Lord, and not making a distinction between the true priests and the false.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:16:14 AM by Irish Hermit »

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2010, 06:25:14 AM »

Canon....?

Oce Blagoslovi I oprocti moju Gresku......Amin   For Leading someone astray..... :angel:

Stashko, oprosti!  That wasn't a jab at you.  I have been thinking of saying that for a while, before your message came on the list.  I think that Fr George said the same thing earlier but in a softer way -without the fireworks which I used - and people did not seem  to pay much attention to what he said.

But the repetition of the Church's Baptism does indeed call for the deposition of the priest or bishop who is guilty of performing it.

Apostolic Canon 47:

Let a bishop or presbyter who shall baptize again one who has rightly received baptism, or who shall not baptize one who has been polluted by the ungodly, be deposed, as despising the cross and death of the Lord, and not making a distinction between the true priests and the false.

Fr..
Im not upset feel free anytime to correct.... Correction is good thats how one learns..... ;D

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2010, 06:51:15 AM »

Where did Muhammad get the idea from that "Allah" was the God of Adam, Abraham, Moses, David and Jesus?

From the same place where he got the idea that Ishmael lived in Mecca and built the Cube with Abraham.  ::)

Offline Theophilos78

• Archon
« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2010, 06:52:36 AM »
Pozdrav .......
Brate Theophilos 78 Please don't Pay attention to my ramblings....... ;D

Brate,
Thanks for the suggestion though! It made my day.  ;D

Pozdrav

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #179 on: August 29, 2010, 07:52:37 AM »
In other words, the ones who don't use the word "Allah" are the ones who don't speak Arabic. ::)
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens