OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 07:43:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For My Upcoming Baptism  (Read 1472 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« on: August 20, 2010, 11:16:21 AM »

It's hard to believe I am saying this as I thought it was still a couple of years away, but I am set to be baptized, chrismated and communed on the upcoming feast of the Dormition of the Mother of God (Old Calendar) on next Saturday, August 28 (Gregorian).

For those who have been praying for my family situation I regret to say that I will be doing this alone, so it is bittersweet, but ultimately it has become apparent that this is the right thing to do.

So pray for me as I struggle to prepare with fasting and keeping my regular prayer rule. I am not a disciplined person, and so this will truly be difficult for me. Also, I have already felt an immediate demonic assault on me. There has been a flood of doubts and also a lot of sentimental feelings for my Protestant and Roman Catholic pasts that I am officially putting an end to, even though I know that both are being fulfilled. I'm sure many of these feelings are normal and not necessarily attacks, but I know something is happening because rather than joy, I am not just a bit nervous but suddenly terrified. All at the same time, I am so excited and in awe that I will finally taste His Body and Blood.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:18:08 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:25:26 AM »

May God protect you and guide you, and may the Mother of God and the Saints keep watch over you.

The time around when I was baptized was also full of assaults, temptations, and difficulties, but God will preserve you.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 11:29:20 AM »

Good for you. May the Lord dispel all your doubts and assist you in your preparation. I will pray for you.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 12:18:10 PM »

Wonderful news!  Hang in there!

Lord, have mercy!

When the Priest leads you three times around the font; and you hear “As many of you as have been baptised into Christ, have put on Christ. Alleluia” (Galatians 3:27), know that the angels in Heaven are singing!  At this moment the angels in heaven are expressing their joy that a new soul is registered in the Book of Life. Tradition states that at this moment God assigns a guardian angel to stay with the newly-baptised person until the end of their earthly life. 

Each time I was a godmother (x4) this is the moment I would "lose" it and begin to cry. 

You will be fine!  We are all praying for you.  Be strong!

Lord, have mercy!  Many Years!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 01:04:27 PM »

Lord, have mercy and many years to you! 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 01:13:05 PM »

Congratulation,The Lord grant You Many Years , on the upcoming Holy Baptisim,Im a Kum [God father ]for four Serbian Americans that converted,
to the true Faith Of Holy Orthodoxy from protestantisim..........

Axios ,Worthy, Dostojan..........Mazoltoff.......... Grin
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:21:13 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 02:13:59 PM »

Many years!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 02:31:12 PM »

Many years! 

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 06:04:32 PM »

Great news! Many Years!

Love never fails.
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 10:10:23 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 10:38:03 PM »

Many years!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 05:49:31 AM »

Glory to God! This is blessed news.

I remember being extremely nervous immediately before I was baptized. All of a sudden I felt a wave of doubts and fears. I questioned my motives, I felt so unworthy, I was afraid that I was actually so full of sin that I might actually sabotage my own baptism. I started worrying that I might have a panic attack right in the middle of everything. So, I had all these crazy thoughts swirling in my mind right before the service began. But then I realized the beautiful Truth that this is exactly why I needed to be baptized: I am full of sin, I am attacked by satan, I do struggle with anxiety, doubt, and depression. Therefore Christ came into the world to deliver me from sin and death and give me new life in Him; and the regenerative waters of baptism are provided for all who simply wish to come unto Christ and receive His grace and strength.

Remember that it is precisely because we are unworthy that we need the waters of baptism and the subsequent Sacraments of the Church. In my humble opinion, your doubts and fears are evidence of humility and sincerity. You recognize the sanctity and awe of the spiritual transformation you are about to undergo. God knows your heart my brother. He knows your desire to enter into His true Church and your sincere desire to lead your family in the true Faith. It is all in His hands and in His control. Sometimes that doesn't help us feel better, but it is nevertheless and truth upon which we should constantly meditate.

I will pray for you, and I rejoice with you my friend.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 06:14:21 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Welcome home! As for the sentimental feelings, I felt the same before chrismation but as the time has passed they've faded away.

May your guardian angel protect you!
kansas city

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »

Lord have mercy! This is really good news

We are praying for you.  And we will definitely be back for this!
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 01:09:06 PM »

Congratulations.
May God help you.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »

Many years, Alveus! I'm so glad to hear this, but I am very sympathetic towards your family and other situations which you shared. It's not always so easy...May you be granted much grace!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 08:41:17 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 07:55:05 PM »

I am an Orthodox Christian.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 10:09:04 PM »

Smiley Glory to God!!! Smiley

Selam
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 10:09:29 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 11:57:03 PM »

Glory to God!!

Many Years to the newly illumined!!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 05:31:10 AM »

Again Many Yrs.......

Was it the whole immersion Baptisim like you wanted it or no.....Srbsko kolo/serbian circle dance........veslelje
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:32:58 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 06:03:40 AM »

Glory be to God!  Welcome home!  Many, many, happy years! 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 12:17:10 PM »

Welcome home, and many years! Thank God that you are now fully engrafted into the body of Christ. 

As an aside, I believe the Church allows catechumens to call themselves Christians, so I'd say you were an Orthodox Christian before your baptism.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 03:08:59 PM »

Was it the whole immersion Baptisim like you wanted it or no...

Full triple immersion, and I made sure that I got all of the way underwater every time!

As an aside, I believe the Church allows catechumens to call themselves Christians, so I'd say you were an Orthodox Christian before your baptism.

I was simply never comfortable referring to myself as Orthodox when not participating the sacramental life of the Church.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:10:48 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 03:31:52 PM »

Many Years, Alveus! Now begins the struggle...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 03:42:44 PM »

Was it the whole immersion Baptisim like you wanted it or no...

Full triple immersion, and I made sure that I got all of the way underwater every time!

I was simply never comfortable referring to myself as Orthodox when not participating the sacramental life of the Church.

Great News ....Axios, Dostojan ,Worthy.........Mnogaja Ljeta................Many Summers................. Grin

Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 06:36:12 PM »

Congrats! Many years!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 02:42:56 PM »

Welcome home, Alveus, and may God grant you many years!
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 09:25:18 AM »

Many years!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »

Congratulations and many years!!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: