OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 03:14:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. John Chrysostom and Our Lady the Virgin St. Mary  (Read 1613 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: August 20, 2010, 04:01:58 AM »

How do our Non-Chalcedonian Churches regard the "Golden-mouthed?" I have always honored him as agreat Saint, and never questioned him since he preceded Chalcedon. (I always take a more reserved approach to the post Chalcedonian Fathers, for obvious reasons.) Anyway, I was just reading some unsettling things regarding St. John Chrysostom's view of Our Lady the Virgin St. Mariyam. While he defended her perpetual virginity and accentuated her role in the Incarnation, he also seems to accuse her of vanity, pride, and other sinful defects. This shocked me a bit, and so I wanted to ask some of you learned OO scholars to provide me with an accurate view of John Chrysostom and his teaching on St. Mary.

(I repsectfully ask that only Non-Chalcedonians reply.)

Thank you.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:03:41 PM »

St. John Chrysostom is definitely a saint in the Oriental Orthodox Churches.  This year in the Armenian Church, his feast day will be on Saturday, Oct. 30.

I've heard about his comments on the Mother of God, but as an example of how Church Fathers are not infallible.   Smiley

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 11:43:51 PM »

Gebre,

I do not believe that the sinlessness of Saint Mary is a dogma of the Church that the Fathers should be expected to have held. To hold that she had personal sin (as it is more commonly accepted that she did have ancestral sin) is, perhaps, an acceptable theologumenon, though in my opinion an erroneous one. As such, it doesn't particularly disturb me if Saint John Chrysostom held the opinion that Saint Mary was a sinner.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 01:21:15 AM »

Thanks Salpy and Deusveritasest!

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Tags: Theotokos St. John Chrysostom Church Fathers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: