OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 12:03:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairuz' Voice to Feature in 'The Passion'  (Read 2276 times) Average Rating: 0
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« on: February 21, 2004, 03:06:17 PM »

I read a newspaper and was met with a delightful surprise.  One of the hymns from Lebanese diva Fairuz' Good Friday album is played in the Passion.  

http://www.aramusic.com/htmls/vdl516.htm

It is the first one, 'I am the Sorrowful Mother'.  I knew this film would not be complete without this very crucial element.  You will hear Fairuz singing part of the score as you watch the film.

The hymn proceeds, "I am the Sorrowful Mother.  And who consoles her?  So let be thy Son's death life to its requesters (those who request it)."

I am only sorry he did not choose 'El Yom Olliqua' (the sixth on the list), 'Today was Hung on a Tree'.  Unfortunately, it was not chosen by Gibson.  By the way, this hymn I am talking about is the very same one that was profaned by Madonna in her song 'Erotica'.

In IC XC
Samer
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 04:58:57 PM »

Hey Sam -- was that song any of the tapes you sent me?
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 06:31:14 PM »

No, Tom.

But you can hear audio samples from the album if you follow the link provided.

In IC XC
Samer
Stavro
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 07:23:31 PM »

Smiley.
That is really a great surprise. Fairuz has by far the most powerful yet soft voice, a beautiful voice, and it is a good pick by Gibson.
The movie has all the elements of success. Hope it does not disapooint us.
Peace,
Stavro

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 08:25:23 PM »

Stavro, it is a pity that Um Kulthum, "Kowkab ish'Sharq", was not Christian.  Did you know that as unquestionably legendary as Fairuz' exceptional voice is, Um Kulthum's alto-range voice was much more well-suited to Byzantine chant?

Aramaic, Fairuz, and a strong emphasis on the Mother of God: hal film ha yi'lib id'dinneh lam'ma b'yoosal 'a Lubnan, iza Allah raad.

In IC XC
Samer
Stavro
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 08:31:49 PM »

Um Kalthoum's voice is legendary as well, and of it would top Fairuz's voice if we compare the power and range. Yet Fairuz has some charm and gentleness in her voice that makes it like the voice of angels (as if I have a reference.Smiley ).

The only place in the Middle East where the movie will be featured will be Lebanon, as it is the only christian majority and semi-tolerant place in the Middle East (excluding the Hizballah gurillas of course).
Definitly it will be not allowed in Egypt. Movies like the ROBE and GLADIATORS in the 50's where not allowed.

Peace,
Stavro

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 08:34:16 PM »

It could hit Cyprus, too, for all we know.  I wonder what distribution scheme and arrangement, if any, Gibson has for the countries in the Middle East that would allow the film to be shown.

You would think Muslims would find the film offensive.  Many of my Muslim friends are very eager to see it.

In IC XC
Samer
Stavro
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 09:25:54 PM »

That is a strange reaction from muslims. But Lebanon is different than EGypt, I guess. The movie is definitly against "Muslim christology", if you may use the same terminology for Islam. If the movie shows the definity of Christ, it is against Islam. Crucifixion is also against Islam, as muslims don't believe that Jesus was crucified.

I would be very surprised if they allow it in Egypt.

Peace,
Stavro

united

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 04:50:01 PM »

Stavro,i'm in dubai,i work there as a teacher and i watched the movie twice,i'm muslim,sorry for mentioning that,but i cried lot of times.
all i wanna say that the movie is on!in the gulf and not only in lebanon.
so will we stop this arrogant statmemet that we have it as lebanese people ?and can we admit that we all should be UNITED?
the movie is not offensive at all for muslims and as you know the movie was banned in israel and in betlehem the tried so hard to get a copy(pirate one)to show it for free for all the people there, muslims and christians
Stavro,sorry if i said anything offensive but i just wanted to explain some stuff.

united for peace and JUSTICE

united for peace and JUSTICE
Tags: The Passion Fairuz 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: