Author Topic: Question about a website and its monk  (Read 3029 times)

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Question about a website and its monk
« on: February 05, 2003, 04:46:16 PM »
I have briefly perused this site (I can't emphasise "briefly" enough, since I haven't been very thorough, and so it's not surprising that I don't know what to make of this), but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about this site, and its subject, Monk Michael.  

http://users.hol.gr/~gianko/en/
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Hypo-Ortho

Re:Question about a website and its monk
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 05:31:10 PM »
I can't get as much out of this site as I'd like, Mor, as I don't read Greek and the links to Monk Michail's books are all in Greek.  I may be wrong, but it appears to me that Monk Michail is the self-proclaimed desert leader of a personality cult or the head of some new sect opposed to hierarchical authority in the Orthodox Church.

Anyone else have ideas?

Hypo-Ortho

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 06:04:41 PM »
Thanks, Hypo-Ortho.  Perhaps our friend Prodromos, a resident of Greece, can help us?
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline prodromos

• OC.net guru
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 04:52:38 AM »
I'll have a look, but remember that Greek is not my mother tongue.

John.

jude

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 10:12:08 AM »
In a nut shell--pardon the expression--Monk Mikhail wants the world to know that our Greek faith is comprised of mediocre and shallow leaders-- among the monastics-- who are hypocritical and maladjusted control freaks, as we Americans would say.

Of course, he considers himself to be a victimized and misunderstood "martyr" who is steps above and ahead of his persecutors.

He seems to have a real aversion to the whole concept of community and the personal inability to live among the great unwashed, while professing a deep love and admiration for Our Lord and Savior. Interesting contradiction and a good example of cognitive dissonance.

Bottom line:

There just isn't a monastic community good enough for him.

His motto could very well be hijacked from Marlena Dietrich:

"I vant to be aloooonnneee."

Jude

Hypo-Ortho

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 11:03:23 AM »
IOW, Jude, it's best that we ignore the Monk Michail and his website.

Hypo-Ortho

Offline prodromos

• OC.net guru
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2003, 05:09:29 AM »
I'm not willing to pass judgement without having the full story, but the little that I have read leaves me very uneasy. He loves quoting monk Paisios as if they are kindred spirits, yet he seems to have little in common with the humility and compassion of the late Athonite elder. Elder Paision refers to various problems on Mount Athos but then leaves it all in God's hands. He never goes airing dirty laundry in public as monk Mikhail has and does. Monk Mikhail makes some very serious allegations in public, particularly against Elder Ephraim which leaves me wondering if this is just one part of an organised campaign against the Elder. I also noted the disrespect he shows towards the Arch Bishop of Greece in his interview, constantly refering to him as 'mr Christodoulos' instead of using the titles bestowed on him by the church or even simply as 'father Christodoulos'.

I'm reminded of Saint Photios' response to those who publically proclaimed the errors of Blessed Augustine
I do not admit that what you assert was so plainly taught by them, but if they happened to express some such thing, if they happened to fall into something unbecoming, then I would imitate the good sons of Noe [Noah] and hide my father's shame, by using silence and gratitude as a cloak. I would not follow Chain's [Ham's] example, as do you. Rather, you are crueler and more impudent than he, for you publish abroad the shame of those you call your fathers. Now, he fell under the curse, not because he uncovered his father, but because he did not cover him. You, however, both uncover your fathers and vaunt your audacity. He tells the secret to his brothers; you tell yours not to brothers, or to one or two persons, but turning the whole world into a great theatre, you trumpet with all urgency and shamelessness that your fathers are ignominous. You revel in their shame and delight in their dishonor, and you seek out fellow revelers with whom to make more conspicuous festival of their disgrace and shame.
On the Mystagogy of the Holy Spirit, by St. Photios

John.

jude

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2003, 08:16:18 AM »
IOW, Jude, it's best that we ignore the Monk Michail and his website.

Hypo-Ortho

Hypo,

When a person is cursed with a 'superiority complex' isn't it best to leave him 'alone?'

Jude

Offline Vasilis

• OC.net
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 05:17:25 AM »
Dear friends and members of this group.
Orthodoxy is a living constitution, founded by Jesus Christ Himself.
This constitution though, in order to be alive, must discuss its problems.
In all organizations, it is a matter of vital importance to discuss what is going wrong.
However, the greek orthodox church does not show particular interest in discussing the problems. I always congratulate Monk Michail for his excellent books.
Some of you here have accused him for being alone. Each of us is supposed to live alone with God.  Saint Isaac the Syrian: "Live as though it is only you and God on this earth".
 Orthodoxy needs normal people.  Orthodoxy contains the greatest treasures of mankind and eternal life. May we all enjoy and appreciate them.
Vasilis
NULL

Offline prodromos

• OC.net guru
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 07:01:00 AM »
This constitution though, in order to be alive, must discuss its problems.
However, the greek orthodox church does not show particular interest in discussing the problems.

So what are you trying to say Vasili? ???

John.

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 12:59:49 PM »
The piece from the "On the Mystagogy of the Holy Spirit" which Prodromos provided is very nice.
In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)