OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 03, 2014, 02:18:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Churches Council Meeting held at California  (Read 684 times) Average Rating: 0
dhinuus
Elder

« on: August 18, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »

The Bishops of the Oriental Orthodox Churches accompanied by clergy representatives of the Western United States, met on Tuesday August 17th, 2010 and discussed issues of the mutual interests at St. Ephraim Syriac Orthodox Cathedral, Burbank, California.

The attendees of the Syriac Orthodox Church were: His Eminence Archbishop Mor Clemis Eugene with very Rev. Fr. Abdulahad Shara, and Rev. Fr. Louis Yacoub. From the Armenian Church were His Eminence Archbishop Moushegh Mardirossian, accompanied with Rev. Fr. Bartev Goulmian, and Rev. Fr. Vasken Atmajian. From the Coptic Orthodox Church His Grace Bishop Serapion, accompanied with Rev. Fr. Bishoy Kamel, and Fr. Anthony Attallah.

This year's annual joint  Divine Liturgy, will be held at St. Ephraim Cathedral, Burbank on Tuesday September 28th. It is decided to convene next meeting of the Oriental Orthodox Churches Council on Tuesday November 23rd.

NULL
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:09:02 PM »

Good news indeed, thanks be to God.

But what about the Indian, Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox representation?

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
PSFam

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:27:26 PM »

I do not believe the Ethiopians have a permanent bishop in the US. I know on the East Coast their official representative for ecumenical events, such as concelebrated liturgies et c. is Fr. Michael Teklemariam.  The Eritreans I believe also lack a permanent bishop in the US, though I know H.G. Bishop Macarius of the Coptic synod is officially General Bishop of All Eritreans in North America (and his grace is based on the east coast). So perhaps by default, His Grace bishop Serapion represented them.

Not sure why the Malankaran bishop was not present unless he is considered represented by the Syriac bishop, or simply he had a conflict and could not make it.  Just speculating.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:28:26 PM by PSFam » Logged

“The Cross is not an immobile form upon which Christ hung one day long ago. It is the compassionate beating heart of God, longing for all mankind”

- Fr. Bishoy Kamel
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:11:16 PM »

The Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church has two dioceses in the US now, one for the "Northeast" (meaning North and East) and one for the "Southwest" (meaning South and West). The latter is the relevant diocese here. I do know that their headquarters are in Houston. Perhaps that makes it difficult for them to get out to Southern California.

On the other hand, I noticed that the Armenian bishop is from the Catholicosate of Cilicia. There is also a local diocese for the Catholicoste of Etchmiadzin. Anyone know why there was not representation from the latter?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:44:09 AM »

The Ethiopians do have an official bishop for the USA (Abune Matthias) by he is located on the East Coast.  Most of the bishops on the West Coast are affiliated with the Synod in Exile (although I'm happy to report that this group is putting out feelers to reunite with the Holy Synod in Addis).  The situation with the Eritreans is as PSFam described.  As for the Indian Orthodox Church, I'm not surprised that they weren't in attendance, as the event was apparently hosted by the SOC.  That being the case, the only Indian clergy you'd be likely to see would be from the Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church or the Knanaya Church.  The Syriac Church of course shuns the administratively independant IOC because of the conflict in India.  Every time one of these events is held here on the East Coast, the host Church (be they Coptic, Armenian, or whatever) is faced with an "either or" proposition: if you invite the SOC, you can't invite the IOC, or the SOC will walk out.  Sad

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 11:46:33 AM »

We are fortunate that the Council of Oriental Orthodox Churches in the UK contains a comprehensive membership.

At the pan-Orthodox liturgy held at the Indian Orthodox Church last year the Syrian Orthodox Church was represented by their priest. The Chairman of the COOC is His Grace Dr. Mathews Mar Timotheos. While His Grace Archbishop Athanasios of the Syriac Orthodox Church is a valued and much loved member.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 12:04:28 PM »

(although I'm happy to report that this group is putting out feelers to reunite with the Holy Synod in Addis). 

That's fantastic news! I know it will take some time to put things back in order after the havoc the Communists have wrought. But this is a great step.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »

We are fortunate that the Council of Oriental Orthodox Churches in the UK contains a comprehensive membership.

At the pan-Orthodox liturgy held at the Indian Orthodox Church last year the Syrian Orthodox Church was represented by their priest. The Chairman of the COOC is His Grace Dr. Mathews Mar Timotheos. While His Grace Archbishop Athanasios of the Syriac Orthodox Church is a valued and much loved member.

Father Peter

Father, if you keep making the UK out to be a paradise of fellowship and brotherhood among the Oriental Orthodox, I'm going to have to petition to become a subject of Her Majesty's government.  I guess we would be a little more rough and tumble over here in the Colonies.

(although I'm happy to report that this group is putting out feelers to reunite with the Holy Synod in Addis).  

That's fantastic news! I know it will take some time to put things back in order after the havoc the Communists have wrought. But this is a great step.

Yeah, the Derg was the worst.  They butchered the Orthodox, tore the Church in two, and opened the gates for the heterodox "missionaries" and the Muslims.  I wish the Orthodox monarchy was still in place.  If the Pan-Orthodox Conference of 1965 and Fr. V.C. Samuel and Fr. Morcos Dawoud's work in the local seminaries were any indication, Ethiopia would probably be a nexus of Oriental Orthodox theological and cultural activity, and all of our Churches would probably have experienced a veritable renaissance there.

But this is indeed a great first step.  May God reunite the Church of Ethiopia!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:39:28 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 01:27:06 PM »

To be quite honest, as much as I wish we can invite one of the other, we have to swallow our pride in our friendships and not invite any Syrian or Indian to these events, hoping that they can actually get together already and solve whatever problems they have with each other.  I wish our Church stops commemorating the Syrian Patriarch's name, and start commemorating the Armenian patriarch's name.

If we want to start acting like OO's, let us unite as OO's.  This is unacceptable behavior.  What are they children?  Most immature thing I have heard from bishops.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: