OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 10:09:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buhe and "Hoya Hoye"  (Read 2974 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: August 19, 2010, 12:43:32 PM »

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buhe

Buhe is a ceremony of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, held on August 19 (Julian Calendar). On this date, the church celebrates the transfiguration of Jesus Christ on Mount Tabor in the presence of the three lead apostles. People of the neighborhood tie a bundle of sticks together to make a chibo, and set it on fire while singing songs. The main song is called "Hoya Hoye" with one singer singing while the others follow in a rhythmic way. It involves young boys singing songs of praise outside of people's homes.Usually once the boys finish singing, the owners of the home will give them a bread called mulmul.

Hoya Hoye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujHWM_hpV6s&feature=player_embedded

What are they saying?  What's the symbolism behind what they're doing, the chibo, the fire, the song, the boys singing outside people's homes, the mulmul?

I know this is a loaded question, but I hope our Ethiopian friends here can help us (or those knowledgeable of Ethiopian practices).

Thank you.  God bless.

PS  Happy Feast of the Transfiguration for those of us in the Julian Calendar :-)

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Elijah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Tewahedo

God is love; be faithful un to death.

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:03:18 PM »

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buhe

Buhe is a ceremony of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, held on August 19 (Julian Calendar). On this date, the church celebrates the transfiguration of Jesus Christ on Mount Tabor in the presence of the three lead apostles. People of the neighborhood tie a bundle of sticks together to make a chibo, and set it on fire while singing songs. The main song is called "Hoya Hoye" with one singer singing while the others follow in a rhythmic way. It involves young boys singing songs of praise outside of people's homes.Usually once the boys finish singing, the owners of the home will give them a bread called mulmul.

Hoya Hoye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujHWM_hpV6s&feature=player_embedded

What are they saying?  What's the symbolism behind what they're doing, the chibo, the fire, the song, the boys singing outside people's homes, the mulmul?

I know this is a loaded question, but I hope our Ethiopian friends here can help us (or those knowledgeable of Ethiopian practices).

Thank you.  God bless.

PS  Happy Feast of the Transfiguration for those of us in the Julian Calendar :-)
Buhe was celebrated yesterday in commemoration of transfiguration of Christ on Mount Tabor. I don't know the detail but I think kids go around houses in the neighbourhood and ask for flour. And bake bread and eat that/give it to the poor.
The other link is not a spritual song.

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:10:31 PM »

Do Ethiopians celebrate the Transfiguration today or yesterday, or does the Buhe have nothing to do with the Transfiguration?

Do you know the link of the real "Hoya Hoye"?  Or is "Hoya Hoye" not an actual spiritual song, just something sung on that day?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 02:11:08 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 01:29:32 PM »

bump

Elijah
Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 12:41:26 PM »

Do Ethiopians celebrate the Transfiguration today or yesterday, or does the Buhe have nothing to do with the Transfiguration?

Do you know the link of the real "Hoya Hoye"?  Or is "Hoya Hoye" not an actual spiritual song, just something sung on that day?
Ethiopians celebrated it "yesterday" as I mentioned it earlier. "Hoya Hoye" has nothing to do with Transfiguration; Buhe is, and I am not aware of any spiritual song for Buhe for now; if I find any I will post it. How ever, during Buhe, the clergy celebrate that at the church. I don't know the detail of how it is celebrated though.

He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »

Forgive me for reiterating the question of when the Transfiguration is practiced.  I've been known that the Ethiopians follow the Coptic Calendar (when it comes to the Synexarion of saints and feast days) and according to the calendar, the Feast is on the 19th, not the 18th.  So I just need confirmation or a source to back up the claim that they celebrate one day before we do.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 03:39:05 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 03:54:50 PM »

I was taught that on the Coptic/Ethiopian calendar, the day begins at sundown (since the world began in darkness, and only later did the Lord say, "Let there be light"), so maybe they start celebrating the "evening before" the date as it's reckoned on the Western calendar?  That would make sense, since it seems to be a nightime ceremony involving fire, etc.

Here are some more traditional looking vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2k7rZZVPpQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd3ol0PJNDU

I'd guess that the fire was symbolic of the brilliance of the Lord at the Transfiguration.  The kids singing and receiving mulmul just seems to be a traditional "children's holiday" type thing, so they can get a little treat or whatever.  Like Halloween without the demonic undertones.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Hiywot

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 10:14:25 AM »

Yes, the transfiguration is celebrated on the 19th. But "Buhe" the chibo burning ceremony is on the evening of the eve.

Yes, the fire is symbol of the light of the transfiguration. Buhe itself means light.

Hoya Hoye is the song children sing as they burn the chibo. The messages of the Hoya Hoye song are directly related to the transfiguration. Tradition says that children/shepherds at bottom of Mt. Tabor were rejoicing and singing at the sight of the light of the transfiguration and that they didn’t even know it was night because of the light and that their parents, knowing that their children were late that night, sent them mulmul or correctly “hibist”.

Therefore, the Buhe is a traditional ceremony depicting what happened at Mt. Tabor.

Hiywot
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:34:14 AM by Hiywot » Logged
Elijah
Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »

The messages of the Hoya Hoye song are directly related to the transfiguration.
As I mentioned earlier, Hoya hoye has nothing to do with "Buhe."

Tradition says that children/shepherds at bottom of Mt. Tabor were rejoicing and singing at the sight of the light of the transfiguration and that they didn’t even know it was night because of the light and that their parents, knowing that their children were late that night, sent them mulmul or correctly “hibist”.
Hiywot, can you let us know your source of this tradition?

Mina, Buhe was may be celebrated at different times depending on whether you live in Ethiopia/USA.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:00:42 PM by Elijah » Logged

Tags: Transfiguration Ethiopian Orthodox Church  Buhe  Hoya Hoye 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: