OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 03:47:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Church Camp?  (Read 1471 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 13, 2010, 06:26:02 AM »

I am going to Church camp next month.  I asked the Popadija of my Church, and she said that there are.........I don't even know what to call it..........group showers?!  Undecided Lips Sealed Angry Cry Embarrassed Lips Sealed

I didn't know they still did this.  my Mom told me that she had to do this in middle school (in the '70's)  anyone who has any advice in this area....it would be nice.  I know that this isn't really a religous question, but it's a Church camp.

also, there are no cell phones allowed (along with any electronics).  anyone who has participated in a camp like this, please explain this one.  I need my cell phone, in case of something bad happening, and I need to use it.

anyone's advice is most welcome!

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:28:01 AM »

I am going to Church camp next month.  I asked the Popadija of my Church, and she said that there are.........I don't even know what to call it..........group showers?!  Undecided Lips Sealed Angry Cry Embarrassed Lips Sealed

I didn't know they still did this.  my Mom told me that she had to do this in middle school (in the '70's)  anyone who has any advice in this area....it would be nice.  I know that this isn't really a religous question, but it's a Church camp.

also, there are no cell phones allowed (along with any electronics).  anyone who has participated in a camp like this, please explain this one.  I need my cell phone, in case of something bad happening, and I need to use it.

Are you a tween or a teenager? Because this topic should go to Family Board.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 06:28:40 AM by alexp4uni » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:31:11 AM »

Are you a tween or a teenager? Because this topic should go to Family Board.
I;m a teenager, 16 in 13 days.  if a mod stops by, they are more than welcome to put in the correct section, if they see fit.

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:59:37 PM »

I've never been to a church camp, but I have spent some time in the military. I can understand being hesitant about the shower thing, but just remember that a shower is strictly for the purpose of cleaning yourself. I guess the best advice that I would give is to remember what you're in there to do (get clean) and just focus on doing that.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:06:54 PM »

Regarding the cell phones, when I was your age cell phones didn't exist and we survived just fine.  It may do you and your fellow campers some good to be without them for a while.  If there is an emergency, the adults in charge of your group will probably have phones, or at the very least the camp office will have a land line.  (I think that's what they call regular phones now.)

Regarding the showers, everyone will be in the same boat as you, so don't worry about it too much.  Like your mom, when I was a teenager in the 70's we had showers at school after gym class and it wasn't all that horrible.  You just don't look at anyone and no one looks at you.

Also, if it is camp you'll probably be bringing swimming trunks.  Maybe, if you are that shy, you can wear those when you shower?   Just see what the other kids do about it, and do likewise.  You'll survive.   Smiley

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:09:08 PM »

Regarding the cell phones, when I was your age cell phones didn't exist and we survived just fine.  It may do you and your fellow campers some good to be without them for a while.  If there is an emergency, the adults in charge of your group will probably have phones, or at the very least the camp office will have a land line.  (I think that's what they call regular phones now.)

Regarding the showers, everyone will be in the same boat as you, so don't worry about it too much.  Like your mom, when I was a teenager in the 70's we had showers at school after gym class and it wasn't all that horrible.  You just don't look at anyone and no one looks at you.

Also, if it is camp you'll probably be bringing swimming trunks.  Maybe, if you are that shy, you can wear those when you shower?   Just see what the other kids do about it, and do likewise.  You'll survive.   Smiley
thanks Wink

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:24:07 AM »

hahaha, as Salpy said, back in his day people were fine without them as long as the people who lived a couple of thousand years before. Think of you cell phone as a vice (which I would say definitely is for many young people these days) and your time at camp can be a way to escape that vice so I say, leave it home. Don't let some insignificant electronic worry you.

I'm only a few years older than you (I'm 19) and I don't have a cell phone (Shocked) and that means people can't bug me with silly texts asking me what I'm doing. Its nice. Cheesy
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 12:49:53 AM »

I agree that the rule about no electronics will allow you to focus on your spiritual growth. We need to unplug sometimes to make space for God. If there is an emergency, then they will have emergency contact numbers and a telephone.

Regarding the shower thing, I had to deal with this in Jr. High many moons ago and was uncomfortable with it. I would usually ski[ the shower and probably stank for the rest of the day to avoid getting naked in front of other people. But that being said, I would just go along with what others are doing. If everyone else gets naked, then just do that yourself. It's better not to stand out. Of course, at 16 I actually think that your peers will be mature enough to not care either way. I didn't care by that age.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 07:26:02 AM »

Or just go there when there will be no one there.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 01:51:07 PM »

I sometimes wonder how us old geezers survived without being in instant contact with every single person on the planet! Yes, and think of it, my dears, television was in black and white - no color! And only three channels.
 Wink

I don't know about the showers, but banning cell phones, I-pods, laptops etc. is fairly standard for Orthodox Camps.

What do you think could happen that you would need a cell phone for, anyway?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 02:38:15 AM »

Hey Trevor,

Personally, I would wear shorts while showering.  I might come across as a prude, but I think it is against modesty to be in a state of undress with others in this instance.  Then again, I am extremely uncomfortable wearing shorts in public.  I guess I tend to be ultra-conservative in this regard. 

And as someone who went to church camp every year in junior high and most of high school, I highly recommend leaving the cell phone at home.  Enjoy the experience, it happens only once a year.  You'll have the phone and all your friends when you get back.

Have fun!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 10:43:57 PM »

For the showers, just look ahead or the people in the face. Simple as that. Hell, with the guys in the Army I was with, we could have conversations or whatever. Of course, this was different then going to a summer camp, but still. Just be glad you all have the same anatomy. :p
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 08:19:04 PM »

well, I just got back to summer camp.  I was so parinoid to worry about the shower and bringing my cell phone!  the showers were stalls, and we took turns.  not a big deal.  and one of my cabin mates brought his $1,000 I-Pad to camp!!!!!  everyone pretty much had their cell phones, and they all died looking for service up in the mountains! Grin

I must say, camp really changed me.  for the first time, I actually feel normle.  it's so nice to see teenagers that love the Church as much as I!  and not just that, but follow her teachings and are moral, non-swearing, inclusive, loving Christians!  I was treated like an old friend!  I wasn't even thought of as wierd because I didn't swear or dress in a non-modest fashion, because everyone else was the same!  when confession came around, people walked away crying (happilly)!!!!!

when I went to confession at camp, it wasn't my regular confessor.  it was so easy to tell him my sins, and I didn't even know him.  I LOVE my parish priest, but in this man I really fealt the presence of God. 

I also feel that I really grew as a person.  I went way out of my comfort zone when one of the priests took us on a hike.  we didn't just walk around the forest (which I so detest), we really climbed rocks, in the pouring rain!  I'm serious when I say that, at some parts, a fall would have ment a fatal injury!  I have no idea why, but I had so much fun on this hike!  and everyone was supporting me, not judging or anything.  It was really one of those "if I can do this, I can do anything." moments.

I feel so....empowered from camp.  it was really great.  I wish it were longer, and am looking forward to next year!

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »

Glory be to God!

Glad you had a good time and that you grew and got strengthened by the experience!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 09:53:47 PM »

Glory to God!

You'r every lucky to get outside at this age, trevor.

When i was your age, i was intent on being an ascectic Buddhist monk, reciting thousands of mantras in my room all day.
It's good to live life. Never forget that.

Now i'm just an awkward adult! haha
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »

and, I left this part out, but I hope you all see the humor in this that I do.  lately, I've been praying that the Lord show me how to have more humillity.  well, I also seerved at the altar for most of camp.  it was OK the first time, but the small job of putting incense into the censor soon proved to be a challenge!  one time, I put the incense on the small part of the charcoal that was orange/red.  for some reason, no smoke came out! so, Father pretty much swings it around everyone with NOTHING coming out, and I'm standing by the stage (we converted a 7th-Day Adventist worship space into a Church) basically saying "yes, I am the incense guy."  but by-far the wierdest thing is, when vespers was over, I was sitting, listening to the in-depth disgussion on the book of Hebrews with a sad face and a mopy disposition, when Father comes in with a happy grin and a "Thank you, Trevor."  I apologised for the "dud", but he said that it just must have gone out, no big deal.  the next day, at vespers, I was quite bad aswell.  apart from being sick (7th day adventists don't eat meat, so we all had WAY more soy that we were used to, and we all got sick) and tired from a life-changing hike, the service wasn't just regular vespers, it was GREAT vespers.  I was so pooped out and only expected to hand Father the censor once or twice.  instead, I handed him the censor, his philonion, lit a candle for the little entrance (which, by the way, I tried to lite twice, and it kept going out!)  .  so, for the little entrance, I go around with an un-lit candle, stand in the wrong place, and Father has to tell me what to do.  after this, I apologuised, and Father wasn't angry!  this was such a shock!  he said "you were great".  this man was so kind to me after my mistake, it warms my heart to think of those words.  well, this bad performance made my stomach do backflips, so I said good night early.  I talked to a cabin mate about my most embarassing mistake, and he was so comforting, telling me that I've only been Orthodox for like 3 months, and can't be expected to know everything.  I must say, this also blew me away.  the camp's understanding of my mistake...it was just so kind, like I've never gotted from another teenager.  the Nurse even thanaked me for serving,and said that nobody realized I made any mistakes.

I must say, Orthodox Christians, young and old, are such kind people!

Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 12:05:43 PM »

I'm so glad you had a good time, Trevor! Smiley

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 12:21:56 PM »

I'm so glad you had a good time, Trevor! Smiley
thanks! Grin

PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 12:36:25 PM »

well, I just got back to summer camp.  I was so parinoid to worry about the shower and bringing my cell phone!  the showers were stalls, and we took turns.  not a big deal.  and one of my cabin mates brought his $1,000 I-Pad to camp!!!!!  everyone pretty much had their cell phones, and they all died looking for service up in the mountains! Grin

I must say, camp really changed me.  for the first time, I actually feel normle.  it's so nice to see teenagers that love the Church as much as I!  and not just that, but follow her teachings and are moral, non-swearing, inclusive, loving Christians!  I was treated like an old friend!  I wasn't even thought of as wierd because I didn't swear or dress in a non-modest fashion, because everyone else was the same!  when confession came around, people walked away crying (happilly)!!!!!

when I went to confession at camp, it wasn't my regular confessor.  it was so easy to tell him my sins, and I didn't even know him.  I LOVE my parish priest, but in this man I really fealt the presence of God. 

I also feel that I really grew as a person.  I went way out of my comfort zone when one of the priests took us on a hike.  we didn't just walk around the forest (which I so detest), we really climbed rocks, in the pouring rain!  I'm serious when I say that, at some parts, a fall would have ment a fatal injury!  I have no idea why, but I had so much fun on this hike!  and everyone was supporting me, not judging or anything.  It was really one of those "if I can do this, I can do anything." moments.

I feel so....empowered from camp.  it was really great.  I wish it were longer, and am looking forward to next year!

You weren't by any chance at St. Seraphim's camp in the Pocono's?
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 12:42:12 PM »

You weren't by any chance at St. Seraphim's camp in the Pocono's?

no, I wasn't .  I was at the Rocky Mountain Orthodox Youth Camp heald at the Glacier View Ranch in Wade, Colorado.

MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 10:29:12 PM »

Having never been in that experience i can't offer advice, but its certaintly something I wouldn't want to do. But hey thats just a minor part of the camp experience, in fact the smallest part.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: