OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 12:58:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Industrial Strengh Clothing Dye  (Read 1586 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:53:55 PM »

While this is not directly related to parenting, I know some parents using clothing dye so they might be able to answer my question.

My cassock is turning gray, but it is otherwise in fine condition. A new one would cost me upwards of $200, but I would like to try and dye it black again instead.

I picked up two packets of RIT dye (the dry kind) and used the hot water and the salt. It had basically no effect on the cassock whatsoever.  I believe my cassock is cotton but it might have some other material blended. I am not sure how to tell, I'm sorry to admit.

Have any of you had any success with a more commercial-grade dye? I actually asked around at some cleaners here in North Carolina and was told that no one in the area does professional re-dying anymore.  So I am just hoping someone here can recommend to me a brand of "industrial strength" dye I can buy to make my cassock go back to jet black.

Thanks!

Fr. Anastasios
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:54:15 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:41:37 PM »

I have heard that "Dylon Permanent" brand black dye is an excellent cold water dye.  However, use more than the recommended on packet to dye a larger article of clothing.  It can never get "too" dark of a black.

You can purchase Dylon dyes at craft stores like JoAnn Fabrics, etc.  It is also sold on Amazon.

It's a permanent dye and should not "wash out", however, they also sell Retayne Color Fixative which if used "ensures" the fabric won't bleed.  You can get both for less than $5.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:22:59 PM »

Father,

The materials used in cassocks are sometimes 50% cotton/50% polyester material.  The Mothers at St. Syncletike in Farmingdale, New York might be able to offer further assistance.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 03:54:48 PM »

I've had decent luck with RIT's liquid dyes but not the powdered variety. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 04:10:24 PM »

If your cassock has polyester fiber you will need to use a special type of dye. Here is a link to the type of dye you need and a place to buy it, if you have a high end art supply store in your area you could possibly find it there as well.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/jacquard-idye/?wmcp=cj&wmcid=feeds&wmckw=01312-2610-10365&AID=10495307&PID=1910599
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 04:11:19 PM »

You could also utilize a service to dye it for you;
http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/find_a_custom_dyer.shtml
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 04:17:20 PM »

I know that a large amount of cassocks are not a poly blend, but it really is worth the extra $ to go for wool if you can. Wool isn't as stuffy as many think it is. It is a highly breathable fabric and if you treat it like you should (e.g wool wash instead of regular detergent and the occasional lanolin treatment) the fabric will last nearly a lifetime.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 10:11:56 AM »

Thank you for your helpful suggestions, all.  I will be trying some of them out, and will report back with the findings.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: