OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 11:27:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doctrines of the Last Things-western Catholic  (Read 3076 times) Average Rating: 5
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2010, 08:48:44 AM »

The Catholic Church does not teach, de fide, that the particular judgment is necessarily permanent.  The purifying fire will not continue after the General Judgment. (Sent. communis.)
Looking at Ott, it would also seem that the Catholic Church does not teach, de fide, that the Final, or General, judgment is necessarily permanent or final. In fact, the phrase "General judgment" is used in Ott only once, but it's permanency is not discussed:

Thank you for the information from Ott.  We need to ask Fr Kimel if this corresponds with the recent teaching of the Catholic Church.  He has reproached me for referring to things from a hundred years ago.   Ott's sentiments seem to contradict the teaching of the Catechism of the Catholic Church promulgated by Pope John Paul ii in 1997 which is, probably, the most recent teaching.

(However, you seem to be confusing the Particular and the General Judgement.  I just think you got the terminology mixed.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 08:51:25 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2010, 09:14:59 AM »

The Catholic Church does not teach, de fide, that the particular judgment is necessarily permanent.  The purifying fire will not continue after the General Judgment. (Sent. communis.)
Looking at Ott, it would also seem that the Catholic Church does not teach, de fide, that the Final, or General, judgment is necessarily permanent or final. In fact, the phrase "General judgment" is used in Ott only once, but it's permanency is not discussed:

Thank you for the information from Ott.  We need to ask Fr Kimel if this corresponds with the recent teaching of the Catholic Church.  He has reproached me for referring to things from a hundred years ago.   Ott's sentiments seem to contradict the teaching of the Catechism of the Catholic Church promulgated by Pope John Paul ii in 1997 which is, probably, the most recent teaching.

(However, you seem to be confusing the Particular and the General Judgement.  I just think you got the terminology mixed.)
The Catholic Encyclopedia of 1913 equates the General Judgment with the Final Judgment: "Judicium Universale, Last Judgment".

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2010, 09:27:55 AM »

The Catholic Church does not teach, de fide, that the particular judgment is necessarily permanent.  The purifying fire will not continue after the General Judgment. (Sent. communis.)

Thank you for the information from Ott.  We need to ask Fr Kimel if this corresponds with the recent teaching of the Catholic Church.  He has reproached me for referring to things from a hundred years ago.   Ott's sentiments seem to contradict the teaching of the Catechism of the Catholic Church promulgated by Pope John Paul ii in 1997 which is, probably, the most recent teaching.

The Catholic Encyclopedia of 1913 equates the General Judgment with the Final Judgment: "Judicium Universale, Last Judgment".
Yes, and the Orthodox also speak of either the Last Judgement or the Final Judgement.  It is one and the same event.

However in your quote above you confuse the Particular and the Last (Final) Judgement.

You write "it would also seem that the Catholic Church does not teach, de fide, that the Final, or General, judgment is necessarily permanent or final."   You really mean the Particular Judgement here.

However what you say is still incorrect because if you look at Ott, he says

3. With death the possibility of merit or demerit or conversion ceases. (Sent. certa.)
4. Immediately after death the particular judgment takes place, in which, by a Divine Sentence of Judgment, the eternal fate of the deceased person is decided. (Sent. fidei proxima.)

Ott, as well as the CCC,  seems to contradict what Elijahmaria has been saying, namely that the Particular Judgement is not final and souls may be converted from one state to another up until the General (Final) Judgement.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 09:30:45 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2010, 01:51:23 PM »

The Catholic Church does not teach, de fide, that the particular judgment is necessarily permanent.  The purifying fire will not continue after the General Judgment. (Sent. communis.)

The purifying fire will not continue after the General Judgment. (Sent. communis.)

Even taken completely out of context, it should be clear to most anyone that purfying fire is the fire of purgatory, which, even logically would no longer be necessary after the General/Final Judgment.

How is it that you can jump from there to the assertion/assumption that Catholics teach that the final judgment is not permanent?

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2010, 01:51:23 PM »

Thank you for the information from Ott.  We need to ask Fr Kimel if this corresponds with the recent teaching of the Catholic Church.  He has reproached me for referring to things from a hundred years ago.   Ott's sentiments seem to contradict the teaching of the Catechism of the Catholic Church promulgated by Pope John Paul ii in 1997 which is, probably, the most recent teaching.

Yes, and the Orthodox also speak of either the Last Judgement or the Final Judgement.  It is one and the same event.

However in your quote above you confuse the Particular and the Last (Final) Judgement.

You write "it would also seem that the Catholic Church does not teach, de fide, that the Final, or General, judgment is necessarily permanent or final."   You really mean the Particular Judgement here.

3. With death the possibility of merit or demerit or conversion ceases. (Sent. certa.)
4. Immediately after death the particular judgment takes place, in which, by a Divine Sentence of Judgment, the eternal fate of the deceased person is decided. (Sent. fidei proxima.)

Ott, as well as the CCC,  seems to contradict what Elijahmaria has been saying, namely that the Particular Judgement is not final and souls may be converted from one state to another up until the General (Final) Judgement.

There is no contradiction here Father.  Continuing to shove it back at the Catholic on this forum is not going to make it so.

The message that our state in the hereafter is set when we die, indicates that once dead, we can no longer on our own change the direction of our choice...The teaching is that there are NO "ooopsies!!" once we breath our last here on earth.  If that fire burns!! so be it!!...so to speak.

AND...as in both/and...

There is NOTHING that says that God cannot change the direction of our life everlasting as he wills. 

In fact as you have seen in the notes above in this thread thread this most recent effort of yours to interject your own personal and erroneous interpretations, the Catholic Church in her liturgies, in her formal Catechism, in the words of the saints of the ages, and more recently a young saint and Doctor of the Church indicate most clearly that "All is possible with God."....

Apparently you must have some need to continue to press your own agenda here.

One wonders.

In Christ

Mary

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2010, 03:06:23 PM »

There is no contradiction here Father.  Continuing to shove it back at the Catholic on this forum is not going to make it so.

The message that our state in the hereafter is set when we die, indicates that once dead, we can no longer on our own change the direction of our choice...The teaching is that there are NO "ooopsies!!" once we breath our last here on earth.  If that fire burns!! so be it!!...so to speak.

AND...as in both/and...

There is NOTHING that says that God cannot change the direction of our life everlasting as he wills. 

In fact as you have seen in the notes above in this thread thread this most recent effort of yours to interject your own personal and erroneous interpretations, the Catholic Church in her liturgies, in her formal Catechism, in the words of the saints of the ages, and more recently a young saint and Doctor of the Church indicate most clearly that "All is possible with God."....

One wonders.

In Christ

Mary

I wonder as well.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2010, 03:23:28 PM »

One wonders.

In Christ

Mary

I wonder as well.

My agenda stems from an extreme distaste for what I see as the barely concealed dishonesty of modern Roman Catholicism and its theological sleight of hand wherein it tries to pretend that while it is revamping doctrine it is not revamping.

Sorry for saying it so openly but you sort of forced my hand.

To see a small explanation of this please see Message 1044 at

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13820.msg421044.html#msg421044
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »

One wonders.

In Christ

Mary

I wonder as well.

My agenda stems from an extreme distaste for what I see as the barely concealed dishonesty of modern Roman Catholicism and its theological sleight of hand wherein it tries to pretend that while it is revamping doctrine it is not revamping.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13820.msg421044.html#msg421044
And that is why feel compelled to speak for Catholic theology, which you often claim to not understand?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2010, 03:48:36 PM »

One wonders.

In Christ

Mary

I wonder as well.

And that is why feel compelled to speak for Catholic theology, which you often claim to not understand?

That's correct.  But at this point we should probably leave Father to his extreme distastes. 

He is wrong for several different reasons, and there's no changing his mind.  But there is enough of the truth in this thread for anyone wishing to look and see it.

Mary

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2010, 02:34:47 AM »

Article on Apokatastasis in Origen, Gregory of Nyssa and Maximos the Confessor:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080115195446/www.romancatholicism.org/maximos-apokatastasis.htm
Tags: particular judgment Hell death partial judgement forgiveness after death apokatastasis 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: