St. Anastasija of Serbia?

(1/1)

Tikhon.of.Colorado:
Hello, All.  can someone please tell me about St. Anastasija of Serbia?  not quite sure on the spelling, in a video I watched where they talk only a little about her, they pronounce her name as              "ann-a-stas-iee-a"  and not Anastasia (anna-stay-shi-ah)

all I know is, she was the mother of St. Sava of Serbia.

LBK:
The name Anastasia is pronounced "anastas-ee-a" in Slavic languages (Russian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croat, etc) and in the original Greek. The name (and the masculine form Anastasios) is derived from the Greek word anastasis (resurrection). Anna-stay-sha is only found in English, for reasons unknown to me.

On St Anastasia of Serbia:

She was the mother of St Sava of Serbia (January 12). She was the daughter of the Byzantine Emperor Romanus, and received the name Anna when she was baptized. Later, she married the Serbian king Stephen Nemanya (September 24).

She finished her life as a nun, receiving the name Anastasia.

Troparion - Tone 4

Abundant in virtue, and adorned with meekness and piety,
you shone forth through the purity of your life;
therefore, you were granted the grace to be the mother of our people's Luminary.
Thus, we cry aloud to you: "Hail, O venerable mother Anastasia!"

Kontakion - Tone 4

Having been blessed by marriage, and living a life of sobriety,
you humbly taught your children to love God above all else.
As you now stand before Him,
intercede for us who cry aloud to you:
"Hail, O venerable mother Anastasia!"

serb1389:
Quote from: trevor72694 on August 17, 2010, 06:34:12 PM

Hello, All.  can someone please tell me about St. Anastasija of Serbia?  not quite sure on the spelling, in a video I watched where they talk only a little about her, they pronounce her name as              "ann-a-stas-iee-a"  and not Anastasia (anna-stay-shi-ah)

How good is your serbian?  lol.  Actually if you have google Chrome it will translate this page for you (there's a toolbar that comes up for it).  http://www.srpsko-nasledje.co.rs/sr-l/1998/05/article-09.html

Other than that I can give you the basics...?  That page though has many wonderful details about her.  One of them is that she renounced the crown and became a nun on the same day that her husband did on Mt. Athos.  Cool stuff.  (yes she is the mother of St. Sava)

Tikhon.of.Colorado:
Quote from: serb1389 on August 17, 2010, 06:50:22 PM

Quote from: trevor72694 on August 17, 2010, 06:34:12 PM

How good is your serbian?  lol.  Actually if you have google Chrome it will translate this page for you (there's a toolbar that comes up for it).  http://www.srpsko-nasledje.co.rs/sr-l/1998/05/article-09.html

Other than that I can give you the basics...?  That page though has many wonderful details about her.  One of them is that she renounced the crown and became a nun on the same day that her husband did on Mt. Athos.  Cool stuff.  (yes she is the mother of St. Sava)

great!  though my Serbian is a little rusty, to say the least! ;D

I watched a series on youtube (here's one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca3GrASfAls&feature=related  )  I spent the night at a monastery, and a nun made an icon of her, and I just had to have it.  I can't find them ANYWHERE else online.  I once heard that being drawn to a saint and it's icon is a sign that we should venerate that particular saint in our prayers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index