OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:37:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomorrow I change my affiliation.  (Read 1071 times) Average Rating: 0
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« on: August 14, 2010, 10:18:30 PM »

Since I joined this forum, my jurisdiction has been listed as ROCOR.  Tomorrow I will be accepted as a Steward in the Serbian Orthodox Church under His Grace Longin.  My heart will always be with ROCOR, but the Serbian parish is much closer than my current parish (by 500 miles), and this will facilitate more frequent attendance.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:26:36 PM »

May this be an exciting new path on your journey.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 10:35:52 PM »

Many years!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 11:11:44 PM »

Many years!

I am certain you will love the Serbian Church, just as much as ROCOR.

I've visited both, and loved them equally!  Of course... I could understand more in the Russian church...however, the Serbs did sing in Church Slavonic...so that helped!  :-)

Congratulations!  More frequent attendance is most definitely a PLUS!

Let us know how it goes.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 12:50:23 AM »

Get ready for a lot of alcohol and rowdy behavior!!!   Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 05:33:08 AM »

Forgive my ignorance but since I'm not living in the diaspora I fail to understand what's so special about this. Basically Punch just starts to attend another Orthodox parish. Or does the jurisdictional issues make things more complicated? If one attends first, say, Greek parish and then wants to attend an Antiochian parish does he need a permission from his Greek spiritual father or something?

EDIT: Oh, It seems that I forgot something:

Many years!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:35:09 AM by Alpo » Logged
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 06:44:05 AM »

Forgive my ignorance but since I'm not living in the diaspora I fail to understand what's so special about this. Basically Punch just starts to attend another Orthodox parish. Or does the jurisdictional issues make things more complicated? If one attends first, say, Greek parish and then wants to attend an Antiochian parish does he need a permission from his Greek spiritual father or something?

There is a significant difference between attending any given parish and becoming a "steward" of a parish. That's the first thing you're missing. Second, for many years, ROCOR was not in communion with most Orthodox churches. It was more Orthodox than the Orthodox, so to speak. So, officially ceasing support and membership in ROCOR is a big deal in some people's mind.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 08:50:16 AM »

Tomorrow I will be accepted as a Steward in the Serbian Orthodox Church under His Grace Longin. 

Punch, congratulations on becoming a Steward.  Is that an управник?  I have not encountered the term before.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 10:12:44 AM »

EDIT: Oh, It seems that I forgot something:

Many years!

You asked a very good question!  Mainly, I will be changing the jurisdiction on my profile to Serbian Orthodox rather than ROCOR.  I wanted to fend off any questions as to why this was done.  It has nothing to do with any falling out with any Church.  The ROCOR parish that I was affiliated with was in St. Louis, and I attended very infrequently.  The Priest there wanted me to use my offerings for needs in my area, so I did not often send money down there but supported various charities in this area.  I attended the local Serbian Church off an on for the last 15 years, and was somewhat close to the former Priest, now with the Lord.  The Serbs and the ROCOR have always been close, even before the reconciliation with the MP. 

Also, as pensateomia has stated, for many years ROCOR was not in communion with most jurisdictions (although there was much inter-communion between ROCOR and Serbs).  I remained in the ROCOR because I believe in what the ROCOR stands for.  I still do, but with the reconciliation between ROCOR and the MP, it is much less important to me to be identified with ROCOR since full communion has been established between the Churches.  Also, the Serbian Church that I am joining is VERY conservative and there is little difference between the services here and the ROCOR (not to mention that the Calendar is the same).

The Serbian Church has long considered me a "member" since I am Orthodox and they have always considered ROCOR Orthodox.  However, becoming a Steward means, at least to me, that I am becoming a member and supporter of this specific parish and am putting myself under the guidance of this Priest and Bishop.  I am doing this due to proximity and for what I believe is best for my family, NOT because I have had a falling out with ROCOR, or that I am unhappy with anything that ROCOR stands for or believes.  I believe, after much discussion with this Priest, that this parish and my former parish are of one mind and spirit, and I believe in my heart that I have not compromised any of my beliefs making this move. 

I hope this makes matters more clear.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 10:28:40 AM »

Bishop Longin was my bishop down under in Australia/NZ for 6 years.  A most excellent bishop and it was a grief for us when he was transferred.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 02:46:23 PM »

Bishop Longin was my bishop down under in Australia/NZ for 6 years.  A most excellent bishop and it was a grief for us when he was transferred.

Fr...Isn't Bishop Longin a Metropolitan as well,or he use to be, though Metropolitan Christopher Is close by at St.Sava Monastery libertiville Ill.....
Bishop Longin at New Gracanica Monastery ,On Great and Holy Saturday Night Services before Resurrection  Sunday , Confused Me and thought i was  Russian ,there was alot of russians in attendents and a few ukrainians,they had there Pascha baskets blessed....He's a Great Bishop....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 02:49:03 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »

Many years!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 03:48:04 PM »

DOBRO NAM DOŠLI!!!
WELCOME!!!!

I think you will find the Serbs a delightful lot... then again having Serbian background, I may be a wee bit biased. Seriously, you should have no problems as both the Serbs and Russians have always been close, and of the same faith. It is true that some Serbs have a tendency towards drink, but not all. The priest at the Serbian church here in Indy put a stop to the bar being open whilst Divine Liturgy and other services were taking place. Sadly, they had some troubles in the past with people floating in to the sanctuary slightly tipsy with a drink, especially at Christmas services. This priest has greatly increased the level of spirituality and observance since he came to this parish. He's a young chap in his 30's.

As for myself, I attend the Bulgarian parish as it is close to where I live and until recently didn't have a car. I attended the Serbian church occasionally until they moved to the far side of town. With a car I am now able to visit there again on occasion.

In the end it doesn't really matter as to what jurisdiction, what matters is that you are Orthodox. Faith first, ethnicity second. It was largely the Faith that gave shape to the culture.

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 04:09:29 PM »

Get ready for a lot of alcohol and rowdy behavior!!!   Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

And free cable TV

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 08:36:42 PM »

Punch,

If you're becoming a steward in the same Serbian Church I'm thinking of, isn't it under the omophorion (sp?) of Metropolitan CHRISTOPHER?  Just curious.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 08:55:16 PM »

Punch,

If you're becoming a steward in the same Serbian Church I'm thinking of, isn't it under the omophorion (sp?) of Metropolitan CHRISTOPHER?  Just curious.

No.  I was told this morning that His Grace Christopher is very ill and most of his parishes not in the immediate Chicago area have been turned over to His Grace Longin.  This particular parish went over to His Grace Longin when Fr. Sasa became rector.

BTW - Katherine and the boys will remain members at St. Mary's, with my full agreement and blessing.  There will NOT be a repeat of what happened 15 years ago, and I will be attending with them periodically (hopefully monthly).

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 08:59:44 PM »

^Didn't know about the transference of parishes to Bishop LONGIN.  i remember when Met. CHRISTOPHER presided over a hierarchical liturgy of the PreSanctified Gifts last Lent and I could tell he wasn't looking particularly well and I just assumed he was still in charge.

It'll be good to see you when you do come around. I have yet to really make it over to St. Nicholas for a Liturgy but I plan on doing so in the next few months or so.  I understand your reasoning and I'm not condemning it at all.  Still, it's always a loss for our church when someone stops coming, but not for THE CHURCH as you will still be faithful to her.  Good luck.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 09:32:05 PM »

^Didn't know about the transference of parishes to Bishop LONGIN.  i remember when Met. CHRISTOPHER presided over a hierarchical liturgy of the PreSanctified Gifts last Lent and I could tell he wasn't looking particularly well and I just assumed he was still in charge.

It'll be good to see you when you do come around. I have yet to really make it over to St. Nicholas for a Liturgy but I plan on doing so in the next few months or so.  I understand your reasoning and I'm not condemning it at all.  Still, it's always a loss for our church when someone stops coming, but not for THE CHURCH as you will still be faithful to her.  Good luck.

I think it read it in the Staza Pravoslavna[ Path of Orthodoxy] or heard they Spilt the Midwest one part under Bishop Login the other Under Bishop Christopher..... Grin Path of Orthodoxy Link...http://www.serborth.org/path.html
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:40:19 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Sloga
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 11:15:45 PM »

welcome and dobro dosao!

Many years!

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 11:51:34 PM »

I hope that this is a blessed move for you. Now we will share a bishop. I've met him, and he was very warm and welcoming. When I explained the parish I was from when visiting the cathedral, he quickly acknowledged that I was one of his own.
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 10:58:43 AM »

It seems like many of us have been under Bishop LONGIN's omophorion at one time or another. I can't say that I ever met his Grace. I can say, however, that when I was going to a Serbian mission it was a great experience. I received outstanding spiritual care from the priest.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:01:22 AM by ICXCNIKA » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: