OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 04:48:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bilingual Sluzhebnik  (Read 5005 times) Average Rating: 0
Subdeacon Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: August 14, 2010, 04:06:10 PM »

Does anybody know where a good quality pocket sluzhebnik may be had, with English and Slavonic on facing pages?  By "good quality", I mean one with more than skeletal rubrics and with reasonable English.  I already have a Slavonic and an English one so I'm not really after suggestions for those.

Any help would be gratefully received.

In Christ,
M

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:12:56 PM »

I have two, one put out by Jordanville, and the other put out by the Serbian Church.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 09:57:20 AM »

Thank you, Punch.  I'm encouraged that such do actually exist.  I shall e-mail the Jordanville bookstore about the first you mentioned as it doesn't appear to be currently listed on their website - there is one sluzhebnik listed but it appears to be Slavonic.  Would you be so good as to provide ISBNs for these books, if they have them?  (ISBN-13, preferably).  Thank you so much.

In Christ,
M

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:04:48 AM »

There is an excellent pocket size Sluzhebnik published by the Serbian Church and quadrilingual - English, Serbian, Slavonic and Greek.  A great asset for the days when there is a band of priests from various language groups celebrating together.
Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »

Thank you, Irish Hermit.

That's good to know about and is something else I may wish to have gracing my bookshelf.  Yet you and Punch seem to be plotting together to tease me.  Grin You both tell me that these lovely things exist but you don't actually tell me how I can get them.  My internet sleuthing skills are reasonable but if you have access to them, an ISBN or at least a publisher's name or website address would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

In Christ,
M
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:18:25 AM by Subdeacon Michael » Logged

Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 02:17:26 PM »

Thank you, Punch.  I'm encouraged that such do actually exist.  I shall e-mail the Jordanville bookstore about the first you mentioned as it doesn't appear to be currently listed on their website - there is one sluzhebnik listed but it appears to be Slavonic.  Would you be so good as to provide ISBNs for these books, if they have them?  (ISBN-13, preferably).  Thank you so much.

In Christ,
M

There is not an ISBN for this version.  They are hand made in small quantities.  Try to contact Fr Laurence at Jordanville.  He is the one that made mine up from some sheets that he had and bound it at the monastery.

Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 02:40:26 PM »

Great stuff!  Thank you, Punch.  How much did it set you back?  And what of the Serbian one?

M

Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 02:44:33 PM »

Great stuff!  Thank you, Punch.  How much did it set you back?  And what of the Serbian one?

M

I think that the Jordanville one was under or at $50.00.  The Serbian one was less than that and is available for sale in our Church.  I could pick one up for you if you wanted me to do so.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »

M

I think that the Jordanville one was under or at $50.00.  The Serbian one was less than that and is available for sale in our Church.  I could pick one up for you if you wanted me to do so.

I never Noticed the sluzbenik ,but i did perchase a molitvenik with the akatists and other prayers written in cirillica azbuka ....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 03:52:50 PM »

M

Marvellous! Thank you, for your the information and your kind offer, Punch.  I think I'll see where I get with my enquiries about the Jordanville one but yes, I may well be in touch about the Serbian one depending on how things go.

Thank you, again.

M

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 02:50:08 AM »

Does anybody know where a good quality pocket sluzhebnik may be had, with English and Slavonic on facing pages?  By "good quality", I mean one with more than skeletal rubrics and with reasonable English.  I already have a Slavonic and an English one so I'm not really after suggestions for those.

Orthodox service books are very light on rubrics.  They are inadequate for serving a service properly.  Clergy learn at seminary and from older priests, so it is a matter of oral transmission.   In your case, I imagine you have to keep your eyes peeled and see what is done.
Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 03:30:57 AM »

Does anybody know where a good quality pocket sluzhebnik may be had, with English and Slavonic on facing pages?  By "good quality", I mean one with more than skeletal rubrics and with reasonable English.  I already have a Slavonic and an English one so I'm not really after suggestions for those.

Orthodox service books are very light on rubrics.  They are inadequate for serving a service properly.  Clergy learn at seminary and from older priests, so it is a matter of oral transmission.   In your case, I imagine you have to keep your eyes peeled and see what is done.

I have certainly found this to be the case, Irish Hermit.  There is very much a sense that the bare rubrics will be supplemented with experiential transmission, through teaching and observation.  That said, some are better than others.  The Christ of the Hills book for the Hierarchical Liturgy was quite detailed.  This sluzhebnik (large pdf warning for those with slower connections) is by far the most detailed that I have encountered for the more usual form of the Liturgy.

There are other useful guides and publications out there.  I learnt on Sunday of a meticulously precise guide for every aspect of diaconal liturgical service, in every service, in every conceivable scenario, with various numbers of deacons.  My curiosity was piqued.  Then I learnt it is only available in Russian.  Then I sat down in the corner and cried a little.

I think it is easier today than it is for those of an earlier time, when there was separation from the well-established monasteries and well-trained priests of Russia/Serbia/Athos but where information was not as easily disseminated as it is today.  The internet is incredibly useful, although one does have to be circumspect about whom one approaches for help and guidance so as to avoid the situation of the one-eyed leading the blind.  I know of clergy who are largely self-taught and do the best they can with what little direction they have been given but who would perhaps not make the best teachers.  Also, others have been influenced by certain schools of liturgical thought.  Having a bishop who takes time to answer questions is, of curse, immensely beneficial.  It also removes any question of personal whim from one's practice.

Thank you, all.

M
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 03:31:13 AM by Subdeacon Michael » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: