OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 04:15:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lenten Periods in the Roman Catholic Church?  (Read 843 times) Average Rating: 0
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« on: August 13, 2010, 01:18:09 AM »

Are these "15 Days of August" a lenten period for the Roman Catholics?  The "Little Italy" neighborhood in my area, surrounding the long time Roman Catholic Holy Rosary Church, celebrates "the Feast," as it's referred to in the local secular community, with a 4 day festival, 3 of which are before the feast day, and includes eating meat, and drinking alcohol, etc.  Is this period considered a lenten period, perhaps more relaxed than the Lent before Easter?  If not today, is there an older tradition that this period was a lenten period in the Roman Catholic Church?

Also, how about Advent?  I thought I'd read that it is supposed to be a lenten period, more relaxed than Lent before Easter (contemplative, preparatory), but in practice, the lenten period is ignored. 

Any knowledge of how the Roman Catholic Church treats or treated these periods?

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 02:40:46 AM »

Unfortunately, Roman Catholics have largely given up obligatory fasting.  When I was a kid, Catholics fasted from meat on Fridays and during Lent; they gave up the Friday fast after Vatican II, and nowadays, only fast on the Fridays in Lent.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 03:59:57 AM »

In the pre-Reformation past in England the Advent fast was kept strictly and was known as St Martin's Lent because it started at St Martinstide on November 11th. It had been kept in the West since the 4th century. I don't know when, between the 15th/16th century and now, the Roman Catholic Church relaxed all of the fasting rules.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 10:45:49 AM »

In the pre-Reformation past in England the Advent fast was kept strictly and was known as St Martin's Lent because it started at St Martinstide on November 11th. It had been kept in the West since the 4th century. I don't know when, between the 15th/16th century and now, the Roman Catholic Church relaxed all of the fasting rules.

Father Peter

There are still many devout Catholics of the Latin rite who keep the St. Martin's fast in a strict manner. The name of the St. Martin's fast and its history is still taught in religious classes so children learn that history as well.  There are no longer strict rules for how to keep the fast but the idea that Advent is a penitential season is not a stranger in the Latin rite. 

There's not a whole lot of pouring of ashes on ones head so to speak, so it is not visible as it once was,  but the teaching is not lost entirely and each year I hear more and more people locally talking about the St. Martin's fast.  There actually is an informal sense among some Catholics that fasting is more important that the aftermath of the Second Vatican Council indicated and they are returning to it voluntarily.  I think it would be an error to discount those people.

Mary

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:14:13 AM »

If by "Roman Catholics" the OP means Catholics of the Latin rite, then no, the Dormition fast is not followed (except the ones Mary has described).

However, Catholics of most of the Eastern rites (like my Ruthenian parish, and also the Romanian Catholic mission which recently joined us there  Cool) do indeed observe it. 

My husband is looking forward to having bacon and eggs again next week.   Grin
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:16:43 AM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:22:49 AM »

The Dormition fast is very Eastern. I know the Nestorians have it, as well. Probably the Miaphysites have it, too.
The Catholics have the so called "quatuor tempora", a very specific Western thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ember_days
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 02:27:31 PM »

The Dormition fast is very Eastern.

I recall reading that ROCOR's latin rite parishes/monasteries observe some kind of Dormition fast.

monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 04:04:32 PM »

This link will mention the fasting periods in the old tradition of the Roman Catholic Church:  http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Fasting_and_Abstinence_in_the_Roman_Catholic_Church

Besides the Advent and Lenten Fast there were the Ember Days, and the fast for vigils of specific feasts.  There was also, the rogation Days:  
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13110b.htm
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:06:18 PM by monkvasyl » Logged

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 04:12:51 PM »

The Dormition fast is very Eastern. I know the Nestorians have it, as well. Probably the Miaphysites have it, too.
The Catholics have the so called "quatuor tempora", a very specific Western thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ember_days

Ember and Rogation days are still kept by traditional Roman or Latin rite Catholics...yes.

M.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:13:29 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »

The Dormition fast is very Eastern.

I recall reading that ROCOR's latin rite parishes/monasteries observe some kind of Dormition fast.
With all due respect, but a few ROCOR parishes are not really the best indicator of what is the Western fasting tradition.
It's a  Byzantinization, for sure, like their insertion of the epiklesis in the Roman canon.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 03:25:11 AM »

Thank you for the information in your replies.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: