OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 10:01:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Absolution Before Coptic Qud'das  (Read 1556 times) Average Rating: 0
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« on: February 17, 2004, 11:29:07 PM »

To our good Coptic listmembers:

I have a book of the three liturgies and other services, and have gone several times to a Coptic parish.  According to the book and my experience, some service of absolution is performed before the Qud'das begins.  May I invite one of you to elaborate on the purpose and nature of the service?  I am assuming that those who commit weighty sins that bar them from the Cup still have to confess to their spiritual father to be absolved of their offences.

In IC XC
Samer
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 10:49:13 AM »

There's an absolution in Matins & an absolution in the Liturgy of the Word asking God to forgive us our sins.  They aren't replacements for confession, you still have to confess your sins to be forgiven, and if someone comes after the absolutions but before the Gospel they can still receive Communion having received absolution in confession.  After the absolution in the Liturgy of the Word the priest circles the Church with the censor, as if collecting the people's sins.  He also does this in Matins.  Later the priest take puts his hands over the censor and collects the incense in his hands, and puts it on the Lamb, putting the sins of the people and the sins he's taken in confession on the Lamb.
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 11:01:38 AM »

That is very profound symbolism, Jonathan.  Thank you for your answer.

In IC XC
Samer
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 11:04:59 AM »

As for the absolution during Qud'das, it sounds similiar to, albeit more elaborate than, the absolution a priest may choose to give in the course of a traditional Latin Mass.

In IC XC
Samer
demetrios

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 12:42:17 PM »

WOW!!! I have to say thank you all. you have provided me a great window into the world of the oriental orthodox churches. it has been very interesting and I am learning a great deal mostly from your help Shocked
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 11:47:36 PM »

If you go to coptichymns.net and register to get access to media, you can go to the video section and then click on faith and church there's about 1.5 hr of video in high and low quality by Fr. Athanasius Iskander where he does a short Liturgy and pauses to give explanation.  Most of the actually Liturgy is edited out & just the explanation of the symbolism and meaning of things is left.  The same priest also has a book on understanding the Liturgy that will be up on that site eventually, in the mean time it's availabe at the site bellow, with a few editing problems.

Understanding the Liturgy book online: http://www.stmarycoptorthodox.org/liturgy-abouna.htm
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: