OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 05:12:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book Recommendations on EO vs. OO  (Read 566 times) Average Rating: 0
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« on: August 10, 2010, 11:59:58 PM »

I wasn't sure as to whether this was a Convert Issue or EO-OO Discussion, so if I have misplaced it, I apologize Smiley.

At this point in my journey for truth, I can say I firmly believe that truth lies within Orthodoxy. I have been looking into Eastern Orthodoxy for sometime, but can honestly say I have not given much attention to Oriental Orthodoxy (or ACotE for that matter). I have done a bit of research on the OO, but in doing so, have only created more confusion for myself. Both sides seem to have very valid theological and historical points, thus putting me in an unsure state. Would anyone have any reading recommendations on this issue? Ideally I would like to read books written from both perspectives and perhaps something from an objective standpoint (however possible that is in authorship).

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 12:22:22 AM »

Although he no longer posts here, I encourage you to talk with Fr. Gregory Wassen.  Being an ordained priest, as well as a husband and father, means he doesn't have too much free time but I always found him to be both friendly and insightful. 
Here is his blog:
http://fathergregory.wordpress.com
(and more about him specifically):
http://fathergregory.wordpress.com/about/
He probably won't suggest any books due to his belief that OO and EO are both fully Orthodox.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 12:29:07 AM »

I'm not sure how useful it is to get into all the issues surrounding Chalcedon.  The issues are contentious and when you look into the history you don't always see the most noble Christian behavior.   Smiley  Do you have both EO and OO parishes near you?  It may be best to just visit the various churches in your area and see which Church you feel most comfortable with.  I know some others will disagree with me, but in my personal opinion you would be fine with either an OO  Church or EO Church.  You can find Christ and work out your salvation in either one.  The theological and historical squabbling can just be a distraction.

If you really want to read about the Christological issues, though, the most readable book that gives the history from an OO point of view would be The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined, by Fr. V.C. Samuel:

http://stores.lulu.com/orthodoxlibrary

Like I said, though, getting caught up in this stuff can be a distraction.

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »

This topic was moved to Oriental Orthodox Discussion forum from the Convert Issues Forum.

Thomas Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:26:42 PM »

If you really want to read about the Christological issues, though, the most readable book that gives the history from an OO point of view would be The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined, by Fr. V.C. Samuel:

http://stores.lulu.com/orthodoxlibrary

Yep, I agree. I really liked that book.

Like I said, though, getting caught up in this stuff can be a distraction.

Unless one believes that "One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic" means visibly one and thus that the Church must be one communion, and thus that the Church has to be the EOC or the OOC rather than both.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags: Chalcedon 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: