OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:07:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: How do you understand/believe the "spectacular" miracles in the Old Testament?
The OT is a true history. Period. - 1 (3.8%)
I interpret the OT literally and allegorically at the same time - 11 (42.3%)
Only allegorically - 1 (3.8%)
Some stories are literally true, but others only allegory - 10 (38.5%)
Not sure what to believe - 0 (0%)
Opinion in flux - 2 (7.7%)
Other. Please comment. - 1 (3.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Testament miracles - literal, figurative, both?  (Read 3801 times) Average Rating: 5
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: August 10, 2010, 03:21:28 PM »

Floods, furnaces, seas parting, celestial objects standing still - what do you believe?  Huh Smiley

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 03:31:32 PM »

literal history, and it has a deeper, allegorical/spiritual meaning.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 04:07:12 PM »

I believe the events described actually happened. Why would we sing, for example, about crossing the Red Sea dryshod over and over again  if it did not actually happen? It is actual history which typologizes and prophesies what would occur later. The things we believe, as St. Peter says, are not fables or fictions.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 04:11:46 PM »

I went with the some yes, some no.  Events such as the book of Job don't depend on being historical accuracy for their meaning, while other events (such as the Exodus) wouldn't mean much if they weren't true.  But even the events which are accurately are a prefiguring of the life of our Lord Christ

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »

I believe the events described actually happened. Why would we sing, for example, about crossing the Red Sea dryshod over and over again  if it did not actually happen? It is actual history which typologizes and prophesies what would occur later. The things we believe, as St. Peter says, are not fables or fictions.

Well said. Moreover, having been baptized, I find it hard NOT to believe in the flood, or in the drowning of Pharaoh and his army in the Red Sea, having experienced these miracles in miniature, so to speak.

I also was just reading this commentary of the Goldenmouthed on Matthew 16, which seems relevant:

Heard ye not the prophet, saying, He shall not strive nor cry, neither shall His voice be heard without? Isaiah 42:2 and another again, He shall come down as rain upon a fleece of wool?

And if men speak of the signs in Pharaoh's time, there was an enemy then from whom deliverance was needed, and it all took place in due course. But to Him that came among friends there was no need of those signs.

And besides, how shall I give the great signs, when the little are not believed? Little, I mean, as regards display, since in power these latter were much greater than the former. For what could be equal to remitting sins, and raising the dead, and driving away devils, and creating a body, and ordering all other things aright?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:45:17 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 04:52:02 PM »

I voted for "some stories are literally true and others are allegorical" and I also voted for "other."

Other because I believe some stories are true to an extent, but interwoven with fiction to make a point.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »

...other events (such as the Exodus) wouldn't mean much if they weren't true.
Why wouldn't the message in Exodus mean much if not every event described were literally true?  I don't believe everything contained in there is literally true, but the book still has a profoundly strong meaning for me.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 05:30:47 PM »

Floods, furnaces, seas parting, celestial objects standing still - what do you believe?  Huh Smiley

None of the above. OT is a collection of myths. Yet, it does convey most profound spiritual truths: that there is a Creator, that humans have rejected Him despite of His great love, that God will redeem His people, that the divine Redeemer will appear on earth as a humble man, etc.

Love never fails.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 05:34:04 PM »

...other events (such as the Exodus) wouldn't mean much if they weren't true.
Why wouldn't the message in Exodus mean much if not every event described were literally true?  I don't believe everything contained in there is literally true, but the book still has a profoundly strong meaning for me.

The Exodus, not the book of Exodus.  You could, if you wish, rank the events of Exodus in an order of probability as to what was more likely to happen and what was not, though where to begin I'm not sure.  Especially given the fact that at least one miraculous event DID happen- an oppressed minority escaped what was at that time one of the most powerful nations in the world.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 05:45:15 PM »

The Exodus, not the book of Exodus.  
But even the Exodus covers a lot of ground.  Do you consider the 40 years of wandering as part of it?  I don't believe it literally happened.  Have you been to the part of the world where it took place?  It's really not that large, even for an unmechanized society.  It's absolutely impossible to wander around lost for two generations.  No, I believe that part is hyperbole.

But the message of God being our deliverer if we remain faithful is no less true.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 05:55:23 PM »

But even the Exodus covers a lot of ground.  Do you consider the 40 years of wandering as part of it?  I don't believe it literally happened.  Have you been to the part of the world where it took place?  It's really not that large, even for an unmechanized society.  It's absolutely impossible to wander around lost for two generations.  No, I believe that part is hyperbole.

But the message of God being our deliverer if we remain faithful is no less true.

Well, if we do take the text as being mainly truthful we understand that they weren't "lost" in the sense that Moses refused to pull over at that last oasis and ask for directions.  They actually made it to Canaan within a matter of weeks, the spies sent in came back with reports of the Canaanites being too powerful to overcome.  The forty years was spent going from one nation to another, getting picked on, and conquering, so that by the time they returned to Canaan they had built up confidence (either confidence in God as a miraculous provider of victory or confidence in themselves as a military force I leave for you to judge).

And yes, I believe it could have taken forty years to fight each and every squabbling tribe of nomads that inhabited the region.  There were (and are) a lot of them.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 12:20:35 AM »

It mentions that there foot wear never wore out, in the forty years of wandering ,that also was a miracle in itself so i believe it happened..... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Tags: Old Testament miracles 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: