OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 03:42:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Representation at the earlier councils  (Read 708 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: August 08, 2010, 10:22:55 PM »

I came to wonder this when thinking about some comments I have seen made about the 1965 Addis Ababa Conference.

"What makes this historic conference so unique is these sister churches had their last common council at Ephesus in 431 A.D. After 15 centuries of mutual isolation, they met in Addis Ababa in 1965." - http://www.ethiopianorthodox.org/gallery/todaysphoto/1965addisababaconference/index.htm

"Although these five Churches have all along recognized one another officially as sister churches holding full Eucharistic fellowship with each other, they have not had a common council or synod after the fifth century."

"For it was at Ephesus in 431 A.D that these churches had their last common council." - http://orientalorthodox.blogspot.com/2008/12/oriental-orthodox-churches-addis-ababa.html

These comments seem to betray the assumption that, beyond the obvious and apparent reality that all the Oriental churches accept and adhere to the Three Councils, they were even all represented at them.

Now, I am a little skeptical of this assumption. Is it true that all of these churches had representatives at these councils? I am particularly curious about the Armenians.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:33:49 PM »

Are you sure they meant that all the OO Churches were physically present at Ephesus 431?  To say it was our last common council is not necessarily saying that we had actual representatives there.  I know the Armenians did not have anyone there, and only accepted it after it happened.  

I think that Ephesus 431 was our last common council in that it was the last one that all of the OO Churches officially accepted.  

Later on, the Copts had Ephesus II and III, but the Armenians never officially accepted those.  I don't think we objected to them, rather we just never had reason to officially accept them the way we did Ephesus 431.  Likewise, I don't think the Copts ever officially accepted the Council of Dvin.  I don't think they objected to it;  they just didn't have reason to accept it.

Consequently, the last one that all of us have in common is Ephesus 431.  It doesn't mean we all had people there.  It just means that it is the last one we all officially accepted.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:05:21 AM by Salpy » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 11:03:08 PM »

Are you sure they meant that all the OO Churches were physically present at Ephesus 431?

Not really. That was the impression that I got, but I could be wrong about that.

I know the Armenians did not have anyone there, and only accepted it after it happened.

There was not Armenian representation at any of the Three Councils?

I think that Ephesus 431 was our last common council in that it was the last one that all of the OO Churches officially accepted.

That's a reasonable enough interpretation.

Later on, the Copts had Ephesus II and III, but the Armenians never officially accepted those.  I don't think we objected to them, rather we just never had reason to officially accept them they way we did Ephesus 431.  Likewise, I don't think the Copts ever officially accepted the Council of Dvin.  I don't think they objected to it;  they just didn't have reason to accept it.

Could you explain further? I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean by "didn't object" (simply didn't comment, didn't analyze, or actually analyzed and found nothing objectionable) and "didn't have reason to accept it"?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:12:40 AM »

One of the sons of St. Gregory the Illuminator (I think Aristakes) represented the Armenians at the First Council.  The Armenians were not present at the other two, but accepted them later.

Could you explain further? I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean by "didn't object" (simply didn't comment, didn't analyze, or actually analyzed and found nothing objectionable) and "didn't have reason to accept it"?

I'm actually not sure.   Smiley  Considering the geographical and political separation between the various Churches, I'm not even sure to what extent they were aware of each other's councils.

Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:16:07 PM »

I think you're right, Salpy.  A church not having a presence at, or declaring an official acceptance of, another church in the same Communion's local council doesn't imply a rejection of said synod.

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »

A church not having a presence at, or declaring an official acceptance of, another church in the same Communion's local council doesn't imply a rejection of said synod.

I hope I did not give the impression that I was asserting otherwise.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »

The Armenians were not present at the other two, but accepted them later.

Could you say exactly when the Armenian church ratified the councils (I'm assuming at councils of your own)?

I'm actually not sure.   Smiley  Considering the geographical and political separation between the various Churches, I'm not even sure to what extent they were aware of each other's councils.

Ah! Ok. Could we not, however, choose to retroactively and officially accept those councils of the other churches which were orthodox for the sake of the clarification of the truth?

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 08:44:43 PM »

The Armenians were not present at the other two, but accepted them later.

Could you say exactly when the Armenian church ratified the councils (I'm assuming at councils of your own)?

If I recall correctly, they were mentioned as ecumenical councils at the Council of Dvin.  So it would have happened by then.  I'm not sure if we really know exactly when it happened though, or if there are records of it before Dvin.

Ah! Ok. Could we not, however, choose to retroactively and officially accept those councils of the other churches which were orthodox for the sake of the clarification of the truth?

I guess it could be done, but I don't think it is necessary.  Usually Churches don't move to do those sorts of things unless there is a specific reason.  At least that is my understanding.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 01:35:08 AM »

If I recall correctly, they were mentioned as ecumenical councils at the Council of Dvin.

First Council of Dvin?

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 01:42:08 AM »

That's my understanding.  I'm getting this from H. H. Karekin I's book, The Council of Chalcedon and the Armenian Church.  It's in a footnote on page 204 of the edition I have (printed in 1975.)  It indicates that this was the first time the Three Councils were mentioned together in an official context.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 07:34:55 AM »

One of the sons of St. Gregory the Illuminator (I think Aristakes) represented the Armenians at the First Council.  The Armenians were not present at the other two, but accepted them later.

Not exactly representation of Armenia, but the Second Council was opened by St. Meletius of Antioch, who came from Roman Armenia.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
vasnTearn

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 03:05:19 PM »

Not exactly representation of Armenia, but the Second Council was opened by St. Meletius of Antioch, who came from Roman Armenia.

As far as I know, the Armenians from Armenia Minor (or Lesser Armenia or Roman Armenia, as you call it) had representatives at the third and even fourth councils too. But they belonged to the Byzantine Church, the Cappadocean Church, more precisely. So they did not represent the Church of Armenia. I was always thinking that maybe because this part of historical Armenia which had been conquered by the Roman Empire in early times was mainly inhabited by the Armenians, in the minds of the Armenians of the so called Persian or Greater Armenia the representation of their brothers of the other part of their historical homeland at the second and third councils was somewhat equal to their own representation, that is why they did not care much about sending anyone to those councils. Well, maybe this is a naive opinion, but who knows?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 06:21:55 PM »

That's my understanding.  I'm getting this from H. H. Karekin I's book, The Council of Chalcedon and the Armenian Church.  It's in a footnote on page 204 of the edition I have (printed in 1975.)  It indicates that this was the first time the Three Councils were mentioned together in an official context.

OK. Thanks!  Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: