OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 06:56:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Lay Monasticism", "Crazy Convertisim", being an Orthodox Christian  (Read 10548 times) Average Rating: 5
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2010, 09:43:59 PM »

Trevor, I just wanted to let you know how impressed I am by your maturity at your age. I can't even imagine having accepted the Orthodox faith as a teenager. Know that many doubts and trials will come, but please never give up on your Orthodox faith. It is the most precious treasure in all of the world, because it is the faith that holds the universe together.
thanks, I appreciate that.  my biggest fear is losing my Orthodox Faith, so I'll guard it with my life, with the help of God and the Saints! Wink    It is deffinatly hard, being a teenager and trying to uphold the values of an Orthodox Christian.  I remember the words of my godfather, the night I asked him to assume the role   "When you become Orthodox, life gets harder, but the rewards are sweeter".

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »

I think that, when living in a secular environment, everyone's situation is a bit different.  for me, a high school student in 21st century America, I'm surrounded (and am myself) with students trying to find who they are, while still holding on to that comforting immiturity that is our childhood.  in my environment, this is what I find most spiritually helpful in living as an Orthodox Christian teenager:

-practice a prayer rule before school(morning prayers) snd before bed
-go to Liturgy and Vespers weekly
-attend all holy week and presanctified liturges when lent comes
-read Orthodox literature as often as possible
-dress modestly as possible
-do not use profanity..."don't say anything you wouldn't want to say in front of your priest".
-act with piety
-read and study the scriptures as much as possible

this is just the base of how I try to live.  of corse, once I have a job and am in colleage, these may change, but for now, this is what I aim for.

If you go to college, join OCF! This is very important......for it's very easy to become an atheist while in college. I know it's hard in highschool, but you will have more of that hardness in college.

I had a christian club to go to while in highschool, and I went to alot of campus ministries in college. OCF is a blessing for Orthodox college students! It will be easier to keep your faith while in OCF.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:54:02 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2010, 09:51:56 PM »

I think that, when living in a secular environment, everyone's situation is a bit different.  for me, a high school student in 21st century America, I'm surrounded (and am myself) with students trying to find who they are, while still holding on to that comforting immiturity that is our childhood.  in my environment, this is what I find most spiritually helpful in living as an Orthodox Christian teenager:

-do not use profanity..."don't say anything you wouldn't want to say in front of your priest".
-act with piety

this is just the base of how I try to live.  of corse, once I have a job and am in colleage, these may change, but for now, this is what I aim for.

If you go to college, join OCF! This is very important.
what's "OCF"?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2010, 09:55:28 PM »

The Orthodox Christian Fellowship, a students' organization.  Smiley

http://www.ocf.net

Wish I had known about them when I was in school.  angel
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »

I think that, when living in a secular environment, everyone's situation is a bit different.  for me, a high school student in 21st century America, I'm surrounded (and am myself) with students trying to find who they are, while still holding on to that comforting immiturity that is our childhood.  in my environment, this is what I find most spiritually helpful in living as an Orthodox Christian teenager:

-act with piety

this is just the base of how I try to live.  of corse, once I have a job and am in colleage, these may change, but for now, this is what I aim for.

If you go to college, join OCF! This is very important.
what's "OCF"?

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Orthodox_Christian_Fellowship (OCF)

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Michael L
Priest Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2010, 11:23:02 PM »

From an interview with Abbot Seraphim (Voepel)of Holy Cross Monastery in West Virginia.

- One would have to be spiritually blind not to notice that the world around us is rapidly spiraling out of control. Secularism, modernism, and liberalism are eating away at the Christian roots of this great nation and many of us find ourselves feeling hopeless. Turn on any news channel and you will see that there is a sort of hidden persecution of Christians. The Evil one is clever in his attacks on those who confess Christ, and although we rarely see outright violence, a battle is most certainly raging on. We find it increasingly difficult to pray because the troubles of this world weigh greatly on the souls of Orthodox Christians. After spending several days in this holy place, one does not wish to return to the world, because the soul yearns to be with God and it is difficult to maintain a relationship with Christ in the secular world. What advice do you give departing pilgrims upon their return to the world? Is it possible to maintain a monastic spirit while living in the secular world?

What you are saying appears to be sadly true; the contemporary world has become hostile to true Christian living. We feel this even within the monastery. Sincere modern Christians must seek refuge in prayer, both liturgical and private. There is no substitute for this. If we are not praying every day from our heart, then we will be defeated. Sometimes modern Christians think that the spiritual life is just another self-help program they can try out; this is absolutely untrue. The Orthodox spiritual life is about a relationship with the God-man Jesus Christ, the Creator of all things. The spiritual life is about entering into His presence and with humility and repentance asking His mercy and guidance. Without this, we cannot have the strength or wisdom to resist the powerfully seductive secular world around us.

-Sometimes as Orthodox Christians, we feel that we are not of this world and that we are not relevant to it. How should we react to the changes that are happening around us, specifically the various and increasingly successful liberal and progressive movements, without losing ourselves and our inner spiritual peace?

I understand and share in your concern, but the only answer is the one St. Seraphim of Sarov gave: "Acquire the peace of God in your heart and a thousand souls around you will be saved." You as an individual Orthodox Christian cannot change the course of the world, but you can change yourself. It is, in fact, easier to think about changing the world than to try to change ourselves. If we find the world around us increasingly filled with hatred, then we must try to love; if we find the world running after material goods and pleasure, then we must try to live a simpler life; if we find the world has become preoccupied with carnal things, then we must try to be pure and chaste.

The inner peace that Christ gives us is not the peace of the world. It is not dependent upon proper social conditions or environmental factors. The early Christians would walk into the arena peacefully singing hymns as the lions attacked them. In the lives of the early martyrs, we read over and over again how bystanders and even Roman soldiers were converted by witnessing the firm faith and peaceful resolve of these early martyrs.

Full interview can be read Here: http://eadiocese.org/News/2010/09/asv.en.htm
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »

Dear Trevor,

I would add to your list a few things to consider in addition to your previously-listed intentions:

- seek to be patient, polite and forgiving of all those you meet, even if they hate you.
- don't immediately react to being offended.  That means curbing your emotions and tempering your affect with an unemotional strategy of furthering God's will.
- seek to manifest the virtues (humility, respect, moderation, responsibility, gratitude, generosity and compassion) in all your relationships, which is only possible with faith.
- be honest and stand up for the truth in love.
- resist evil and do not be passive when you see evil in your presence.
- seek guidance from those who are more advanced, not just those who agree with you.

Just a few more concepts to think about incorporating into your list.

Don't be too hard on yourself if you stumble and fall, because we all do (particularly at your age).  Also, don't forget to have some fun once in a while (preferably the kind that isn't illegal or immoral, which you will find in the company of good people).

God bless you and keep you on the right path.

-act with piety

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2010, 01:29:17 PM »

Perhaps we should show the converts what real cradle Orthodox look like.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 01:31:29 PM by synLeszka » Logged
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2010, 01:31:44 PM »

Look at her, her head is not covered! Apostate!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 01:33:29 PM by synLeszka » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2010, 04:32:01 PM »

synLeszka, I'm having trouble understanding what you hope to communicate with the above photos and the satire.  Could you please explain this to me?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 04:43:13 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2010, 04:52:35 PM »

As for myself, I whole-heartedly approve of these photos. More photos! More photos!  Grin

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2010, 04:54:27 PM »

As for myself, I whole-heartedly approve of these photos. More photos! More photos!  Grin
I can't agree with this. She looks too plain!
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2010, 04:55:35 PM »

**rolls eyes**

men.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2010, 05:07:39 PM »

Don't encourage him. Roll Eyes
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2010, 05:07:48 PM »

**rolls eyes**

men.
Well, at least I have unique and realistic taste! Tongue
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2010, 05:16:33 PM »

**rolls eyes**

men.
Well, at least I have unique and realistic taste! Tongue

HAHAHAHA!! OHHHHHH PRICELESS!!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »

Don't encourage him. Roll Eyes

OOPS.  Too late. . .pft.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »

Doesn't a lot of this come from what I am starting to call "the self absorbsion of the newly chrismated". I've noticed it at my parish...about five minutes reverencing an Ikon while people stand in line waiting..telling cradles what they are doing wrong...wanting longer services while outside the hungry are still hungry and the homeless are still homeless..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 06:10:46 PM by SDMPNS » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2010, 07:27:17 PM »

Doesn't a lot of this come from what I am starting to call "the self absorbsion of the newly chrismated". I've noticed it at my parish...about five minutes reverencing an Ikon while people stand in line waiting..telling cradles what they are doing wrong...wanting longer services while outside the hungry are still hungry and the homeless are still homeless..

(shrugs) I don't do those things. Then again, I haven't been chrismated yet. Am I supposed to turn into an awful person or something?  Huh  Undecided
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2010, 07:40:47 PM »

(shrugs) I don't do those things. Then again, I haven't been chrismated yet. Am I supposed to turn into an awful person or something?  Huh  Undecided

Don't worry about it. It's probably true that a disproportionate number of new converts are more fervent and have exaggerated ideas and actions for a while after conversion. However, when you look at who is really behind things that run-of-the-mill Orthodox consider to be "crazy," converts certainly haven't cornered the market.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2010, 07:59:45 PM »

Thank you.
Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2010, 11:54:37 PM »

National politics play a strong role in the state controlled mother churches. American converts entiring the church is said to "dilute" the ties to the mother country. There is a ultra-nationalist sect within many of the churches which condemn and discourage converts as going against the political interests of the mother country, especially Protestant converts. Disregard what these politicos say as they are clearly placing secular interests above God. Unfortunately, they have becoming increasingly loud in the past few years as they become even more marginalized in the American Orthodox Churches, even to the extent of calling on Papal authority for their Bishops to try and maintain their ultra-nationalist interests.
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2010, 06:58:36 AM »

National politics play a strong role in the state controlled mother churches. American converts entiring the church is said to "dilute" the ties to the mother country. There is a ultra-nationalist sect within many of the churches which condemn and discourage converts as going against the political interests of the mother country, especially Protestant converts. Disregard what these politicos say as they are clearly placing secular interests above God. Unfortunately, they have becoming increasingly loud in the past few years as they become even more marginalized in the American Orthodox Churches, even to the extent of calling on Papal authority for their Bishops to try and maintain their ultra-nationalist interests.
I don't know about you, but many, MANY americans are ethnically European.

I don't see the issue, then. It wasn't the American's choice to be born here.

Richard

(not that I abide with these guys, but it seems like they're far out there, even for me)
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2011, 05:37:48 PM »

Yes, and I think it is a matter of attitude.  I know what you mean about modesty.  I've ridden out the latest mini skirt craze, continuing to wear skirts well below the knee, but I haven't run into people accusing me of super-correctness.  Dowdiness, yes, but not super-correctness.     I think it is just attitude

Smiley However, I don't believe dressing modestly needs to be dowdy! We can do it with flare and style too!

Something to strive toward.   Smiley

Actually, I've been hearing that this fall the fashions will be a little more modest.  The micro minis are on their way out, thank goodness.  I'm tired of buying dresses and then wearing them as blouses.  

Am I dreaming, or have my prayers been answered?

2011 FALL NEW YORK FASHION WEEK: 15 TOP TRENDS TO TRY NOW

Calf-Length Hemlines

It's ladylike and feminine, but flexible enough for you to make it boho, minimal, or glamorous.

http://www.fabsugar.com.au/2011-Fall-New-York-Fashion-Week-Roundup-Top-15-Trends-14302646?page=0,0,0

Knowing our beloved Rosehip, this is probably due to her intercession.   Smiley   I really miss her.  I would have loved hearing her comments on this wonderful and sensible turn in fashion.

mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2011, 01:35:18 AM »

I've notice Rosehip hasn't been posting since I've been back online. (my comp bit the dust back in Aug and only recently have replaced it)  Anyone know why?   
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2011, 01:39:18 AM »

I've notice Rosehip hasn't been posting since I've been back online. (my comp bit the dust back in Aug and only recently have replaced it)  Anyone know why?   

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,32244.0.html

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2011, 06:33:48 AM »

I was wondering where Fr. Peter has been also...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »

I don't know what to say.  I appreciate the link. Dang!
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »

I don't know what to say.  I appreciate the link. Dang!
I agree.  may her memory be eternal!

Tags: asceticism Monasticism modesty fasting convertitis 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: