OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 06:21:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to find a husband  (Read 2571 times) Average Rating: 0
Doamneajuta

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: Montreal,Canada

« on: August 06, 2010, 10:25:53 PM »

Hi,
I would like to know where I could meet an orthodox christian man, to know each other, fall in love and marry Smiley It seems idilic, but I would like a family based on faith, love and trust.
I live in Canada, Montreal, I go to church, but I don't know a lot of orthodox christian people.

Thank you for your support.
A women in her 30s 
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:59:46 PM »

That's a question many of us would like to have answered.

Right now joining a convent in Greece seems ideal; not out of any passion to follow God, but rather just general frustration with dating.

God bless you in your search.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 01:27:29 AM »

Doamneajuta, welcome to the Forum!

I didn't get married till I was 47 years old, and it happened because I went on a blind date, with a guy who - unwittingly - introduced me to the man I actually wound up marrying!

I didn't expect it to happen or seek it out - God just brought it about in His own good time.

Pray, go to church, make friends, meet people and enjoy life.  If God wants it to happen, rest assured it will happen.  God bless! Smiley
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 01:27:40 AM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 09:22:26 AM »

I wish for all my dear single Orthodox sisters to find godly Orthodox husbands! And I plead with the single Orthodox men to give your devout sisters in the Faith the first chance, rather than turning to non-Orthodox women. Remember your sisters and seek to marry within the Faith!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Alive
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 05:22:16 AM »

It is hard to built family on Christian valuer. Specially have kids in Canada and try to raise them in God.
It is heavy duty “cross” and if you ready for it, do not be worry God would accommodate you in this struggle.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »

Doamneajuta, welcome to the Forum!

Pray, go to church, make friends, meet people and enjoy life.  If God wants it to happen, rest assured it will happen.

Good advice. Also, as a lady of (ahem!) - shall we say? - more mature years, and after having observed the single people in our parish, I venture to offer a little advice. Be open to meeting new people, even if they don't seem to fit all your requirements. If there isn't a pan-Orthodox singles group in your area, start one. Let your priest know you are open to meeting people with a view toward matrimony.
Don't just sit around waiting for Prince Charming to arrive.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 11:03:01 AM »

Pray, go to church, make friends, meet people and enjoy life.  If God wants it to happen, rest assured it will happen.

Good advice. Also, as a lady of (ahem!) - shall we say? - more mature years, and after having observed the single people in our parish, I venture to offer a little advice. Be open to meeting new people, even if they don't seem to fit all your requirements. If there isn't a pan-Orthodox singles group in your area, start one. Let your priest know you are open to meeting people with a view toward matrimony.
Don't just sit around waiting for Prince Charming to arrive.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:11:58 AM by katherineofdixie » Logged

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 11:44:46 AM »

My take on looking for a wife in a country where the Orthodox are minority and many of the Orthodox girls my age see it as just part of their cultural background  is, now, to look for women with a good hearts and who are willing to love and live with a man for whom religion is one of the top aspects of life.

Also, of course, we have to love each other intellectually, spiritually and physically. When I say physically, I mean just that we must be at least a bit attractive to each other. That doesn't mean any standardized model, but just a subjective perception. Indeed, more than once I felt certain women were attractive that my friends considered downright ugly. I know that in my case intelligence and culture play a big part in making someone "beautiful". It's as shallow as caring for physical appearance and I've been trying to work that.

Although I understand it would be ideal, I wouldn't limit this search to Orthodox girls because I know how difficult it is to even find someone who understands the importance of marriage and staying together.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Tags: marriage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: