OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 06:21:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i found this offensive blog  (Read 1247 times) Average Rating: 0
stherman44

Faith: protestant
Jurisdiction: assemblies of god

« on: August 05, 2010, 04:23:25 PM »

i am russian orthodox under the patriarchal church if moscow how do i answer these people to point out error of their post i assume these people are hardline calvinist
check  out this  blog and see if you agree thier claims against our church are a bit harsh and pointless

http://biblicalthought.com/blog/is-eastern-orthodoxy-christian/
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »

See from this point of view. Look at the effort, the time and sacrifices he made to do what is, in his view, colaboration towards the salvation of our eternal lives. He cares. So should we, regarding the RC and the Protestants.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »

Welcome to the forum, StHerman. Grin  We've already dealt somewhat extensively with the writings of Robert Morey here at OC.net.  You can find our reviews here:  Morey's Book on Eastern Orthodoxy, The Body of Christ
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:59:04 PM »

Welcome to the boards, stherman44!  I wouldn't sweat it too much.  It's like reading The Da Vinci Code.  He throws out a lot of fancy sounding names and dates that seem impressive and historical to, say, this guy...

I ain't never thought of it that way!

...but to anyone who's ever cracked the spine on a history book, even if they're not Orthodox, it's obvious he's way off base.

Look at all of the mistakes he makes right from the opening lines.  Orthodoxy is a "group of religions"?  The Orthodox Church began when a group of Jews went to Egypt and then were overwhelmed by pagan elements?  Forget competing Christian ideologies for a moment, this stuff simply isn't historical.  Either he's a lousy researcher, or worse, he's just flat out lying and assuming his audience won't know the difference.  There are Protestant critiques of Orthodoxy out there that are far more formidable than this junk.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 06:12:34 PM »

Welcome to the boards, stherman44!  I wouldn't sweat it too much.  It's like reading The Da Vinci Code.  He throws out a lot of fancy sounding names and dates that seem impressive and historical to, say, this guy...

...but to anyone who's ever cracked the spine on a history book, even if they're not Orthodox, it's obvious he's way off base.

Look at all of the mistakes he makes right from the opening lines.  Orthodoxy is a "group of religions"?  The Orthodox Church began when a group of Jews went to Egypt and then were overwhelmed by pagan elements?  Forget competing Christian ideologies for a moment, this stuff simply isn't historical.  Either he's a lousy researcher, or worse, he's just flat out lying and assuming his audience won't know the difference.  There are Protestant critiques of Orthodoxy out there that are far more formidable than this junk.
And to think he calls himself a doctor. Roll Eyes  Where'd he get his doctorate?  Correspondence school?
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 07:09:34 PM »

I wouldn't worry about refuting a "Dr" that can't even decide where his degrees are from or what they are in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Morey_%28pastor%29
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 07:18:43 PM »

Welcome to the boards, stherman44!  I wouldn't sweat it too much.  It's like reading The Da Vinci Code.  He throws out a lot of fancy sounding names and dates that seem impressive and historical to, say, this guy...

Look at all of the mistakes he makes right from the opening lines.  Orthodoxy is a "group of religions"?  The Orthodox Church began when a group of Jews went to Egypt and then were overwhelmed by pagan elements?  Forget competing Christian ideologies for a moment, this stuff simply isn't historical.  Either he's a lousy researcher, or worse, he's just flat out lying and assuming his audience won't know the difference.  There are Protestant critiques of Orthodoxy out there that are far more formidable than this junk.
And to think he calls himself a doctor. Roll Eyes  Where'd he get his doctorate?  Correspondence school?

I think it was from this prestigious institution:

I wouldn't worry about refuting a "Dr" that can't even decide where his degrees are from or what they are in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Morey_%28pastor%29

Other "doctors" in a league with "Doctor" Morey...

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 07:22:32 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 09:19:16 PM »

And to think he calls himself a doctor. Roll Eyes  Where'd he get his doctorate?  Correspondence school?
Same place Dr Pepper got his.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:15:44 PM »

i am russian orthodox under the patriarchal church if moscow how do i answer these people to point out error of their post i assume these people are hardline calvinist
check  out this  blog and see if you agree thier claims against our church are a bit harsh and pointless

http://biblicalthought.com/blog/is-eastern-orthodoxy-christian/

Thanks for reminding me. I still have to finish what I started two years ago. Now that I've been Orthodox for 3 and a half years, I should be able to complete it....as well as to review what I already did.

Oh and I would like to thank all the people on Orthodoxchristianity.net who helped me out along the way.
http://orthodox-apologetics.blogspot.com/2009/12/yes-eastern-orthodoxy-is-christian_05.html (Yes Eastern Orthodoxy is Christian) part 1

When I'm done with this thing you all could put it in Orthodoxchristianity.net if you like. It might need a little work in refinement though.

Also for those that don't know, Morey lost his church in California as well as his school. Rumors have it that he might be back in Pennsylvania somewhere, but he has been sued for fraud and he has been dealing with alot of other things since he wrote the book two years ago.

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:25:15 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 10:28:51 PM »

I know Isa as well as a few others on here could really rip this apart way better than I ever could.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »

The Amazon.com reviews are hilarious  laugh :

http://www.amazon.com/Eastern-Orthodoxy-Christian-Robert-Morey/product-reviews/1931230358/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Having "Dr." affixed to the front of your book is usually a sure sign that you're a hack.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:12:37 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 09:42:06 AM »

The Amazon.com reviews are hilarious  laugh :

http://www.amazon.com/Eastern-Orthodoxy-Christian-Robert-Morey/product-reviews/1931230358/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Having "Dr." affixed to the front of your book is usually a sure sign that you're a hack.

Very astute observation Alveus!

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 06:19:36 AM »

The title of the first one star review was alone worth the trip: "A Hobgoblin of a Book."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:20:17 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »

Wow Dr Demento (above ^) & he is still going (media wise of course); cannot say how his format would seem today but listening to him on radio in my early youth was most memorable. Truly a creative & comedic master in applying goofball, witty, & bizarre music from Queen's "Bicycle" song to "Rubber Duck" for ex.

Antiochian OC N.A.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 12:37:12 AM »

I think I recall seeing once that the only 5-star review his book received was one he wrote to promote his own work.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: