OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 05:00:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alcohol and the Coptic Orthodox Church  (Read 10085 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2010, 10:38:20 PM »

as well as smoking (very rarely since we do not know yet how that can affect each individual person, but collectively for the most part it does more harm than help)

I'm assuming that you are talking about smoking tobacco.

One of my major issues with people smoking tobacco, having encountered a 100% additive free cigarette which I deigned to try because of that quality, is that most people do not go out of the way to minimize the harmfulness of their smoking by being picky about what types of cigarettes or cigars that they smoke. They just seem mostly careless about it. And if one is going to do something that has the potential to harm one's body, I think being careless about it very much harms the moral integrity of the action.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2010, 01:13:13 PM »

I kid with my friends that we Copts are the Southern Baptists of Eastern Christianity. "My son, no smoking, no drinking, and definitely no dancing". "Yes, Abouna". And then we go off the the Hafla  Wink

As well as the Islamic influence, I also think the American Missionaries had an effect.

"...and even bishops drank "arrack" (Araq, a hard liquor of the local variety). American Presbyterian missionaries like Lansing found this last indulgence deplorable, since they came from a church that regarded the production, sale, or consumption of alcohol as behavior incompatible with church membership."

http://books.google.com/books?id=MmkE7Rn0w3AC&lpg=PP1&ots=nvmyte_ers&dq=american%20evangelicals%20in%20egypt%20book&pg=PA21#v=onepage&q=alcohol&f=false

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2010, 07:27:06 PM »

A discussion about Protestant Missionaries was split off and put here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,29352.0.html

john_morcos

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2010, 04:44:38 AM »

First, I am a copt.

The common opinion in our Coptic Church is that the only problem with alcohol is the fear of being addicted to it.
There's a bit of social problems but these are not related to wine itself, but rather "if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall".

It must be known that in older ages, wine was used in medicine, and it was an integral part of jewish life, but still it had to be used reasonably.
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »

Not Coptic but its another Faith in a Muslim-Sharia society.  Its a known fact that the Christians in Iraq main source of income was the distribution and sale of alcohol and theeir best customers, at least under Saddam who was also a customer, was selling to their Muslim neighbors.  One of the reasons for the economic downfall of Christian businesses in Iraq. I never heard that the Copts in Egypt lived off the sale of alcohol however.
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 07:33:37 PM »

This topic came to mind today when listening to a Muslim apologetic. I personally have never drunk any alcohol, let me re-phrase that, i have never drunk and "alcoholic beverages". I brew my own ginger ale which inherently has minimal alcohol from carbonation. I agree it is something that needs to be respected and not abused however, I think an all out ban would go against the Christian spirit. We are told to eat that which is set before us in scriptures, and from the traditions of the Church we see "a brother went to see an anchorite and as he was leaving said to him, ‘Forgive me, abba, for having taken you away from your rule!’ But the other answered him, ‘My rule is to refresh you and send you away in peace.’” I may be misunderstanding these things but I imagine that if we are at a friends house and are blessed/offered with something we should accept the gift out of love. Obviously this also has its limits but I believe it still makes a point, to me at least.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 11:04:16 PM »

As someone who absolutely loves good beer, I nevertheless wholeheartedly agree with the views expressed by Father Peter and Ekhristos on this matter. It is good for me that we abstain from alcohol during all Fasting days in the EOTC, otherwise my beer drinking could become problematic. I do not get drunk, and I never drink and drive- ever. But I do have a high tolerance and I tend to imbibe more frequently than perhaps is healthy. Alcoholism runs in my family, and my father has battled severe alcoholism in the past years. So, I must admit that I think the negatives from alcohol outweigh the positives. I think we must be honest with ourselves, strive to make choices that are best for our spiritual development, but also not begrudge or condemn our brethren if we see them enjoying a Christian liberty from which we have personally chosen to refrain.

Selam
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:05:37 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Tags: alcohol Coptic Orthodox Church proselytism  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: