OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 03:37:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our LIfe in CHrist Podcast  (Read 1054 times) Average Rating: 0
Dave in McKinney

Faith: Roman Catholic but loving Byzantine Catholicism

« on: August 03, 2010, 09:35:52 PM »

I've been listening to archives of Our Life in Christ podcasts...

For those of you that have listened to it before, would you say that Steve R. and Bill G. give an accurate portrayal of Orthodoxy?  Or are they giving a seeker-friendly / Orthodox-lite version?
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:07:07 PM »

Their program, though obviously not authoritative in any way, nor entirely free from error, is generally informative and accurate. It helped me a lot when I was an inquirer. I wouldn't call it Orthodoxy-lite, but I would point out that it is geared mostly toward those coming from a Protestant background.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:21:06 PM »

It's an honest portrayal of Orthodoxy in that they don't shy away from the stuff that makes Protestants comfortable. The best advice they give is to get involved in the life of the Church rather than taking their word for it.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 05:13:13 PM »

Are you looking for an accurate portrayal, or a complete portrayal?  I think it is a good podcast to listen to, but by no means should it be your only source. 
Dave in McKinney

Faith: Roman Catholic but loving Byzantine Catholicism

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:11:39 PM »

Are you looking for an accurate portrayal, or a complete portrayal? 

I think the way they describe orthodoxy is a lot more balanced approach to Christianity than what I have seen on a couple of Orthdox blogs/websites.  They definitely make Orthodoxy attractive.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:32:24 PM »

What is Steve Robinson's ethnic background? (Just curious.  angel)

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 09:34:23 PM »

What is Steve Robinson's ethnic background? (Just curious.  angel)

I could be wrong, but I believe Chinese and European.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »

Dave,

While I have found their podcast to be somewhat informative, it is a bit grating and the shows become rather formulaic: Orthodox, chuckle, juridical, Western rational mindset, chuckle, Eastern mindset, oh boy, juridical, Fullness of the Church, chuckle, sola scriptura, baggage to unpack, chuckle, Scholasticism, juridical, chuckle, etc.

I know little about Orthodoxy, but even so, they make some rather incredible off-the-cuff statements which they would be hard-pressed to defend.

The show also is geared toward Evangelicals.

My favorite podcast for learning about Orthodoxy from AFR is "Speaking the Truth in Love" by Fr. Thomas Hopko.

FWIW.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 05:16:49 PM »

Dave,

While I have found their podcast to be somewhat informative, it is a bit grating and the shows become rather formulaic: Orthodox, chuckle, juridical, Western rational mindset, chuckle, Eastern mindset, oh boy, juridical, Fullness of the Church, chuckle, sola scriptura, baggage to unpack, chuckle, Scholasticism, juridical, chuckle, etc.

I know little about Orthodoxy, but even so, they make some rather incredible off-the-cuff statements which they would be hard-pressed to defend.

My favorite podcast for learning about Orthodoxy from AFR is "Speaking the Truth in Love" by Fr. Thomas Hopko.

FWIW.

I concur with this entire post.  A good friend of mine from church, who grew up an Evangelical, loves OLIC while I, the convert from RCism, absolutely love listening to Fr. Tom.  I think it also has to do with their approach/style, as I definitely prefer the rather dry approach of Fr. Tom into which he sprinkles a bit of "grandfatherly humor," as I like to call it.  I find the the guys on OLIC to be the opposite (not a judgment, just an observation).

And I can't stand their overuse of the phrase, "unpack this idea".  It grates on my ears each and every time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:17:22 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »

Dave,

FWIW.

I concur with this entire post.  A good friend of mine from church, who grew up an Evangelical, loves OLIC while I, the convert from RCism, absolutely love listening to Fr. Tom.  I think it also has to do with their approach/style, as I definitely prefer the rather dry approach of Fr. Tom into which he sprinkles a bit of "grandfatherly humor," as I like to call it.  I find the the guys on OLIC to be the opposite (not a judgment, just an observation).

And I can't stand their overuse of the phrase, "unpack this idea".  It grates on my ears each and every time.

Have you ever attended a retreat with Fr. Tom or listened to one? He can get quite passionate and forceful. There is some stuff on youtube and AFR that knocks me out every time.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 05:25:02 PM »

Dave,

FWIW.

Have you ever attended a retreat with Fr. Tom or listened to one? He can get quite passionate and forceful. There is some stuff on youtube and AFR that knocks me out every time.

I have not, but I know what you mean.  You can definitely hear a forceful, passionate side to some of his lectures on the Names of Jesus.  I really do want to go on a retreat led by him at some point; he's definitely my favorite of the contemporary teachers in American Orthodoxy.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 06:48:02 PM »

Dave,

FWIW.

You hear some of that in his Darwin series.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:48:41 PM »

Dave,

FWIW.

And I can't stand their overuse of the phrase, "unpack this idea".
Sounds very post-modern.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 06:50:01 PM »

Dave,

FWIW.

And I can't stand their overuse of the phrase, "unpack this idea".
Sounds very post-modern.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves just yet.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 06:54:17 PM »

Dave,

FWIW.

And I can't stand their overuse of the phrase, "unpack this idea".  It grates on my ears each and every time.

You hear some of that in his Darwin series.

I am working my way toward that series and looking forward to it. I also have not started the Names of Jesus podcast.

The series "Teaching Doctrine in the World We Live Today" in his Speaking the Truth in Faith is one I listen to once a week. As he gives his recommendations for those inquiring into the faith (And I being one of those). Bold, simple, and powerful.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:55:07 PM by orthonorm » Logged

genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 07:09:45 PM »

I am working my way toward that series and looking forward to it. I also have not started the Names of Jesus podcast.

The series "Teaching Doctrine in the World We Live Today" in his Speaking the Truth in Faith is one I listen to once a week. As he gives his recommendations for those inquiring into the faith (And I being one of those). Bold, simple, and powerful.
You've got some good listening ahead of you! I'm a bit behind on some of my listening. All summer I enjoyed getting out in my garden for an hour or two each day to weed, trim, etc., even do some digging while listening to these on my iPod. Sometimes I got so involved and wanting to listen to more that I spent an extra hour working! It really helped the time pass quickly while doing routine work.

As for OLC, content is usually OK, but as others have said, I find the style rather "fluffy". But it does seem to suit many. I'd rather spend my time on something a bit meatier. I'm just glad that AFR and OCN have a good selection. Some appeal, some don't. We're all different.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 07:29:17 PM »

Dave,

FWIW.

I have not, but I know what you mean.  You can definitely hear a forceful, passionate side to some of his lectures on the Names of Jesus.  I really do want to go on a retreat led by him at some point; he's definitely my favorite of the contemporary teachers in American Orthodoxy.

He spoke at my church last year for lent. It was really good. I think he is really good at taking something and just putting it out there and providing a good defence while keeping focused on the subject instead of just reacting to other teachings.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 08:24:47 PM »

I used to listen to that show. I really enjoyed their episode on the eight tones. (The music was really good; it was a helpful guide for a novice like me.) Then they seemed to stop doing episodes on a regular basis. I'm listening to a few different Orthodox podcasts these days, but OLIC was a nice one to start with.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 08:47:06 PM »

It's an honest portrayal of Orthodoxy in that they don't shy away from the stuff that makes Protestants comfortable. The best advice they give is to get involved in the life of the Church rather than taking their word for it.
*EDIT* I meant to modify the original post. If a mod could delete this, that would be great.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:49:23 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: