OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 10:46:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Eastern Churches have concerns with valid conefessions, masses, etc  (Read 3520 times) Average Rating: 0
pasadi97
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »

I would love everybody goes to Heaven.

Not understanding there is a problem you don't pray for it. For example you can not help Romano catholicism because you don't believe to be a problem.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:11:43 PM by pasadi97 » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »

My Theophany water from this year had to be thrown out because it got so full of bacteria over time. So my church failed at the Holy Water challenge and it wasn't restored to some Edenic/paradisiacal state.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2011, 07:25:16 PM »

My Theophany water from this year had to be thrown out because it got so full of bacteria over time. So my church failed at the Holy Water challenge and it wasn't restored to some Edenic/paradisiacal state.
Hmmmm.  Aren't you on the Old Calendar?  And didn't you have to be (re)baptised?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2011, 07:27:06 PM »

And meanwhile, I found a bottle of our heterodox EC water still lookin' good several months after Pascha.

In fact, I just used it to water my cherry tomatoes.  Mmm! Cool

(Of course, I may have mixed it with the holy water we got from the local OCA church ... perhaps that mitigated the eeevill ...  Grin )

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2011, 12:19:48 AM »

Hmmmm.  Aren't you on the Old Calendar?  And didn't you have to be (re)baptised?

Yep, but I prefer the New Calendar actually. Funny situation.

Do you seriously think that fact has something to do with it? I hope not...
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2011, 12:42:28 AM »

Yep, but I prefer the New Calendar actually. Funny situation.

Do you seriously think that fact has something to do with it? I hope not...
LOL. No, not at all. But if the facts were reversed, that would be the first "a-HA!" of an Old Calendarist.  In fact, is was the plethora of Old Calendar miracles stories that made me think their position had no basis in the first place.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2011, 01:12:17 AM »

On a serious level, I do have to admit that I was really disappointed by this happening because I really did believe it based on what I had read; that the water is restored. Pouring it into the garden was a sad moment for me because I could tell it was no longer safe to drink. Got me wondering what else was just in my head.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:12:37 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2011, 01:30:41 AM »

On a serious level, I do have to admit that I was really disappointed by this happening because I really did believe it based on what I had read; that the water is restored. Pouring it into the garden was a sad moment for me because I could tell it was no longer safe to drink. Got me wondering what else was just in my head.
Well, not to rub it in, but I've had Holy Water which kept for years and years.  That could be, however, because I didn't put my Faith in claims about it not spoiling.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:31:25 AM by ialmisry » Logged

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2011, 09:29:38 AM »

Can you give us some examples of what you mean?

Prayer of Absolution
God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of His Son
has reconciled the world to Himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us
for the forgiveness of sins;
Through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace,
and Prayer of Absolution
God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of His Son
has reconciled the world to Himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us
for the forgiveness of sins;
Through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace,
and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit..

So instead of saying above prayer the priest shortens it to just something like "I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit"...

Does that help?
Just for the record, that is a valid ROman form of absolution. THat one sentence is the bare bones, the absolution minium that the priest needs to say for validity.

SCREW BON JOVI!
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2011, 09:49:34 AM »

no, it is not common for the Orthodox to have concerns with valid confessions, DL, etc.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: