OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 04:32:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12th Annual Conference of the US Archdiocese of the Eritrean Orthodox Church  (Read 697 times) Average Rating: 0
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« on: August 01, 2010, 05:10:30 PM »

There is a report of the 12th Annual Conference of the North American Archdiocese of the Eritrean Orthodox Church here..

http://britishorthodox.org/1241/abba-seraphim-addresses-the-eritrean-orthodox-diocese-of-north-america/

Metropolitan Abba Seraphim was one of the guest speakers. There are plenty of photos.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 05:55:07 PM »

What a beautiful show of solidarity!  And I always love to see Anba Makarios.  He's a humble, holy man.  Thanks for this, Father!

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 07:13:37 PM »

Could someone please explain why a lot of the Eritrean clergy are wearing more Coptic looking vestments rather than more Ethiopian looking ones?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:23:55 PM »

Is this usual, to see Miaphysites celebrating in Eastern Orthodox temples?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 07:25:31 PM »

It's not rare.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »

Could someone please explain why a lot of the Eritrean clergy are wearing more Coptic looking vestments rather than more Ethiopian looking ones?

Since the Eritrean Orthodox Church achieved autocephaly, I've seen priests and deacons celebrating the Liturgy in both Coptic and Ethiopian style vestments.  Ethiopian, of course, because those are the traditional vestments of the region.  Coptic, I think, as a show of solidarity and an expression of the extreme closeness and fraternal love of the two churches.  I can tell you from personal experience that the Coptic and Eritrean churches are perhaps the closest of all Oriental Orthodox Churches in North America in terms of visiting and fellowshipping with one another.  The Coptic Church has stood solidly by the Eritrean Church and given her all kinds of moral and ecclesiastical support, not only when she requested autocephaly from the Church of Ethiopia (which left a lot of bruised feelings on all sides), but also during this current crisis with the unlawful imprisonment of the Patriarch.

I also know an Ethiopian deacon who bought a Coptic tonia and got a blessing from his bishop to wear it at the altar.  I don't think it's a big deal.  We're all Oriental Orthodox.

Of course, Abune Makarios is attached to the Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America, so His Grace is probably just wearing the vestments he "brought from home".

I see it all the time.  In fact, if an Oriental Orthodox community is just getting set up in a given city, and there aren't any established churches of our own Communion there to help us out, our next stop is usually the local Byzantine Church.  Nine times out of ten, they're more than happy to help us out until we get on our feet.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:22:46 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Tags: Eritrea 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: