Author Topic: Anybody here live in South Carolina?  (Read 7595 times)

Offline JLatimer

• OC.net guru
Anybody here live in South Carolina?
« on: August 03, 2010, 05:51:54 AM »
Does anyone here live in South Carolina or North Carolina? If so, what church do you attend?
1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
Re: Anybody here live in South Carolina?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:56:20 AM »
I live in Columbia, SC and attend Holy Apostles Orthodox Church (OCA). We are fortunate in having three other churches in our immediate area: Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church (GOA), Saint Barnabas Orthodox Mission (AOA) and St Elizabeth the New Martyr Russian Orthodox Mission (ROCOR). Are you looking for a church in the Carolinas?

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:03:32 AM »
I live in Columbia, SC and attend Holy Apostles Orthodox Church (OCA). We are fortunate in having three other churches in our immediate area: Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church (GOA), Saint Barnabas Orthodox Mission (AOA) and St Elizabeth the New Martyr Russian Orthodox Mission (ROCOR). Are you looking for a church in the Carolinas?
We passed through your fair state this March, but didn't make it to Columbia unfortunately.  Charleston is quite charming.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Crimean Orthodox Church-MP
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:12:36 AM »
I lived in SC for 5 years in the Bluffton/ Hilton Head area. There are an OCA parish in Rincon, GA, a large Greek parish in Savannah, and a Greek Mission, which is a pan orthodox mission with an OCA priest, in Bluffton. All three are excellent. 
Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.—Oscar Wilde

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:54:32 AM »
There is Holy Ascension Orthodox, near Charleston.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

• Merarches
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 12:12:01 PM »
We passed through your fair state this March, but didn't make it to Columbia unfortunately.  Charleston is quite charming.

Charleston has a few churches as well. Holy Ascension Orthodox Mission (OCA) is in Mount Pleasant (on the way to Sullivan's Isle and Isle of Palms); The Greek Orthodox Church of Holy Trinity is on the Charleston Peninsula; while the Saints Cyril and Methodius Russian Orhodox Church (ROCOR) is in Summerville (another suburb of Charleston).

Other Orthodox churches in South Carolina are:

Aiken: Holy Resurrection Orthodox Mission (OCA); Saint Catherine Orthodox Mission (AOCA).

Anderson: Christ The Savior Antiochian Orthodox Church (AOCA).

Bluffton/Hilton Head: Holy Resurrection Greek Orthodox Mission (GOA).

Florence: Transfiguration of Our Savior Greek Orthodox Church (GOA).

Greenville: Saint George Greek Orthodox Cathedral (GOA); Saint John of the Ladder Orthodox Church(OCA).

Myrtle Beach: Saint Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Church (AOCA); Saint John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church (GOA).

Spartanburg: Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church (GOA).

Also: Saints Mary and Martha Orthodox Monastery (women's) is at Wagener.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 01:59:57 PM »

Charleston has a few churches as well. Holy Ascension Orthodox Mission (OCA) is in Mount Pleasant (on the way to Sullivan's Isle and Isle of Palms); The Greek Orthodox Church of Holy Trinity is on the Charleston Peninsula; while the Saints Cyril and Methodius Russian Orhodox Church (ROCOR) is in Summerville (another suburb of Charleston).

Aiken: Holy Resurrection Orthodox Mission (OCA); Saint Catherine Orthodox Mission (AOCA).

Greenville: Saint George Greek Orthodox Cathedral (GOA); Saint John of the Ladder Orthodox Church(OCA).

Myrtle Beach: Saint Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Church (AOCA); Saint John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church (GOA).

My parents have a summer home near Mt pleasant. I like the OCA church. It is funny though I realize how fortunate we are to live in NY and PA where there are 100's of churches 100 years old and are part of the organic landscape. This does not diminish the beauty of new OCA churches in the south though.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »

My parents have a summer home near Mt pleasant. I like the OCA church. It is funny though I realize how fortunate we are to live in NY and PA where there are 100's of churches 100 years old and are part of the organic landscape. This does not diminish the beauty of new OCA churches in the south though.
The South will Rise Again!
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline JLatimer

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 03:18:02 PM »

I'm relocating for a while to Bishopville. I'm gonna contact the priest at St Elizabeth, as that's where I'll probably go on my Sunday commute :) but I definitely look forward to visiting the other churches in Columbia. I think there's also a Greek church in Florence? [ok I should have read entire thread before posting lol]

I feel I'm gonna be a bit lonely in B'ville.

yeah I'm in San Francisco and we've got lots of Orthodox churches here which is nice. I'll admit I sometimes fantasize a bit about doing some mission work in the South. It'd be wonderful if we could have a church on every corner like the Baptists lol.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:27:13 PM by JLatimer »
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.

Offline JLatimer

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 03:29:16 PM »
Where is Wagener?

• Merarches
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »

I'm relocating for a while to Bishopville. I'm gonna contact the priest at St Elizabeth, as that's where I'll probably go on my Sunday commute :) but I definitely look forward to visiting the other churches in Columbia. I think there's also a Greek church in Florence? [ok I should have read entire thread before posting lol]

yeah I'm in San Francisco and we've got lots of Orthodox churches here which is nice. I'll admit I sometimes fantasize a bit about doing some mission work in the South. It'd be wonderful if we could have a church on every corner like the Baptists lol.

The Calendar and gender segregation aside, there isn't a bit of difference between St Elizabeth and Holy Apostles. BTW, Holy Apostles has more Russians than St Elizabeth, which was formed by former (convert) parishioners of Holy Apostles. Indeed, the two congregations are quite close and support each other whenever possible. I should hasten to add that Holy Trinity (GOA) helped immensely when Holy Apostles was being formed and that Holy Apostles has contributed, in turn, to the start of the Aiken mission and supports the SS Mary and Martha Monastery. We all get together on Orthodoxy Sunday but we could do more together I suppose.

PS: Wagener is between Aiken and Columbia. Both Holy Apostles and Aiken priests serve Liturgy on the Monastery grounds one Saturday a month, while the Holy Mothers alternate participating in the Holy Apostles and Holy Resurrection services.

PPS: Bishopville is indeed a very small place and, if you can live outside the city, I would recommend commuting from Camden--a larger small city but infinitely more agreeable and also closer to Columbia.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:47:46 PM by Second Chance »

Offline JLatimer

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 03:59:34 PM »

The Calendar and gender segregation aside, there isn't a bit of difference between St Elizabeth and Holy Apostles. BTW, Holy Apostles has more Russians than St Elizabeth, which was formed by former (convert) parishioners of Holy Apostles. Indeed, the two congregations are quite close and support each other whenever possible. I should hasten to add that Holy Trinity (GOA) helped immensely when Holy Apostles was being formed and that Holy Apostles has contributed, in turn, to the start of the Aiken mission and supports the SS Mary and Martha Monastery. We all get together on Orthodoxy Sunday but we could do more together I suppose.

PS: Wagener is between Aiken and Columbia. Both Holy Apostles and Aiken priests serve Liturgy on the Monastery grounds one Saturday a month, while the Holy Mothers alternate participating in the Holy Apostles and Holy Resurrection services.

PPS: Bishopville is indeed a very small place and, if you can live outside the city, I would recommend commuting from Camden--a larger small city but infinitely more agreeable and also closer to Columbia.

The reason I'm going to bishopville is because that's where the family property is and I'm going out to do some fix up/maintenance work for my dad and a little farming.

• Merarches
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 04:03:46 PM »

The reason I'm going to bishopville is because that's where the family property is and I'm going out to do some fix up/maintenance work for my dad and a little farming.

I don't know how long you've been away, but I am here to tell you that the first Summer that I spent in South Carolina, I could hardly do anything but commute to work and stores (all air conditioned) in an air conditioned car. Like they say in these parts, it does get a bit warm in the summertime, but Lord have mercy!

Offline JLatimer

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 04:51:51 PM »
I'm a bit of a Luddite and don't really care for the air hyper-conditioning typical these days in SC (though i don't begrudge others who like it). Maybe I'm weird but I actually like the heat and humidity. I say the hotter the better lol, well, at least as long as I've got plenty of water and/or iced tea. I'm dying here in SF - it's freaking cold!

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »

Offline JLatimer

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 05:00:05 PM »
BTW, I'm not Russian. I'm a convert. I likes me my English. But I was baptized in a ROCOR parish and I'm used to Russian style, so I'm usually more partial to OCA and ROCOR. What are the OCA and ROCOR parishes like in terms of music, btw? Obikhod or fancier singing? Congregational or more choir driven? I'm glad to hear the different jurisdictions are getting along. I get sad when the opposite is true. Hopefully in our life times we'll get the jurisdictional mess cleaned up and we can all be one happy canonical family lol.

Offline JLatimer

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 05:04:22 PM »
Has anyone ever been to St Nicholas Russuan Orthodox church is Asheville, NC, BTW? My girlfriend is an inquirer and she is moving to a farm in western NC, and will need a church to go to. They have a snazzy website lol.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 05:13:56 PM »
I'm a bit of a Luddite and don't really care for the air hyper-conditioning typical these days in SC (though i don't begrudge others who like it). Maybe I'm weird but I actually like the heat and humidity. I say the hotter the better lol, well, at least as long as I've got plenty of water and/or iced tea. I'm dying here in SF - it's freaking cold!

Schools in the US south I hear have extra cold temperatures and the kids have to wear sweatshirts. I'm not sure if it's an attempt to make them dress right.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Crimean Orthodox Church-MP
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 05:53:20 PM »
Has anyone ever been to St Nicholas Russuan Orthodox church is Asheville, NC, BTW? My girlfriend is an inquirer and she is moving to a farm in western NC, and will need a church to go to. They have a snazzy website lol.

I have been there about 4 years ago. The music was all chanted by one chanter...he was really good... but if your looking for congregational singing they may not have what your looking for. The people showed up on time and appropriately dressed (there was a sign establishing what that meant). The only downside was when priest learned we were OCA... Obviously with the Act of Canonical Communion the relationship between the OCA and ROCOR has gotten much better.
Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.—Oscar Wilde

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 05:55:27 PM »

I was shocked by how cold it is there: we were there in August '08, and it was freezing and dreery.

The ROCOR Cathedral was fantastic, though. Are you a parisioner?

Btw, I don't like super air conditioning either, as a rule. We came to SC after it being rainy and cold in VA.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline JLatimer

• OC.net guru
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 06:04:47 PM »

I was shocked by how cold it is there: we were there in August '08, and it was freezing and dreery.

The ROCOR Cathedral was fantastic, though. Are you a parisioner?

Btw, I don't like super air conditioning either, as a rule. We came to SC after it being rainy and cold in VA.

I live on the peninsula and am a parishioner at St Herman of Alaska in Sunnyvale. I'm halfway between Sunnyvale and SF approximately, so I try to get up to the Cathedral regularly, though it's not my church home. Sometimes I wish I lived in the City so I could go there everyday. It is indeed a treasure. Spectacularly beautiful, plus, more importantly, the relics of St John.

Offline JLatimer

• OC.net guru
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 06:08:07 PM »

I have been there about 4 years ago. The music was all chanted by one chanter...he was really good... but if your looking for congregational singing they may not have what your looking for. The people showed up on time and appropriately dressed (there was a sign establishing what that meant). The only downside was when priest learned we were OCA... Obviously with the Act of Canonical Communion the relationship between the OCA and ROCOR has gotten much better.

I like mostly English with congregational participation in singing, but that's just a slight preference. Basically the way I see it, Orthodox is Orthodox and I like it all lol.

Offline JLatimer

• OC.net guru
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 06:25:37 PM »

So one of these parishes does the women-left men-right thing? I've never been to a parish that actually practiced that.

• Merarches
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 02:48:02 PM »
I think Fr. Anastasios has missions in the Carolinas:

http://www.gocraleigh.org/

http://www.holytheotokosgreenville.org/

http://www.goccharlottesville.org/

Right; Father Anastasios Hudson, I believe. But, these folks are not a canonical Orthodox church, are they?

• Merarches
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 03:03:39 PM »

So one of these parishes does the women-left men-right thing? I've never been to a parish that actually practiced that.

St Elizabeth indeed does that.

You had asked earlier about choir, chanters, and congregational singing. At Holy Apostles, we have readers and the choir at almost all services (all in English). And, at almost all the services, the congregation sings along with the choir, with most of the tunes being Russian style, rather than Byzantine. In the past seven months that I attended, the choir sang only one "concert" piece and that when Metropolitan Jonah honored us by presiding over the Divine Liturgy and elevating Father Thomas to Archpriest, and ordained two sub-deacons and tonsured two readers (from our Church and the Aiken parish).

Offline ComingHome

• Elder
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 03:16:41 PM »
I am a native South Carolinian.

We also have two Coptic Orthodox Churches:  one in Mauldin (Greenville)--St. Mary and one in Myrtle Beach--St. Mark.  Whether you want to attend a service or not, if you are in Greenville area, it is worth the drive to go out to the St. Mary Deli on Hwy 417 and eat one of their delicious subs.  Their Reuben is the best I have ever tasted--and no I don't own stock.  They also have a small Egyptian grocery area where one may purchase unique items.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 03:18:53 PM by ComingHome »

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 07:16:46 PM »
I am a native South Carolinian.

We also have two Coptic Orthodox Churches:  one in Mauldin (Greenville)--St. Mary and one in Myrtle Beach--St. Mark.  Whether you want to attend a service or not, if you are in Greenville area, it is worth the drive to go out to the St. Mary Deli on Hwy 417 and eat one of their delicious subs.  Their Reuben is the best I have ever tasted--and no I don't own stock.  They also have a small Egyptian grocery area where one may purchase unique items.
St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 07:50:22 PM »

Right; Father Anastasios Hudson, I believe. But, these folks are not a canonical Orthodox church, are they?

Well, I'm Oriental Orthodox, so I'm not in a position to pass judgement on which EO Churches are canonical or not.   :)  But Fr. Anastasios is a very nice person.  If you're in the area of one of the missions, it would probably be fun to stop by for a service.

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 11:22:28 PM »

Shhhh! You are going to blow my cover!   8)
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 02:33:08 PM »

Jetavan,

What are you talking about?

The only REAL, DEFINING difference between the "south" and the "north" is slavery and segregation.

Regular southern people were led into rebellion against America by the ruling slaveowners.

We must recognize the truth. They say that it can set us free. That must be true.

Of course, "Neither like Judas shall we give thee a kiss." I have in mind a moral problem: A Good Samaritan southerner takes runaway slaves into his house deep in the woods far off in the mountains and hides them in the basement. That night, a tired Confederate patrol wanders by. They ask him open-endedly: "Have you seen runaway slaves?" The Good Samaritan lies and says "No." He feeds the patrol, they spend the night and the next morning leave for the town many miles away.

We consider lying a sin. But did the Good Samaritan southerner sin?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:44:55 PM by rakovsky »

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 04:33:20 PM »

Jetavan,

The only REAL, DEFINING difference between the "south" and the "north" is slavery and segregation.

Regular southern people were led into rebellion against America by the ruling slaveowners.
The South ahm talkin' about is the South of Spanish Moss and Live Oaks, red Georgia clay, and balmy, humid evenings on the porch, sipping sweet tea, listening to the chattering cicadas in a forest of Long-Leaf Pine. It's the South of the original Baptists and Methodists, who were anti-slavery, and the southern Quakers of North Carolina, who kept the anti-slavery faith alive when its embers went cool amongst their fellow southern Protestant brethren. It's the South of Fannie Lou Hamer and Angelina Grimke, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Jimmy Carter, who never bought the notion that their homeland is inextricably bound up with the enslavement of fellow human beings, nor the denial of Constitutional rights to those of African descent.

That's the South ahm talkin' about. ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:41:40 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 07:56:20 PM »

Jetavan,

The South ahm talkin' about is the South of Spanish Moss and Live Oaks, red Georgia clay, and balmy, humid evenings on the porch, sipping sweet tea, listening to the chattering cicadas in a forest of Long-Leaf Pine. It's the South of the original Baptists and Methodists, who were anti-slavery, and the southern Quakers of North Carolina, who kept the anti-slavery faith alive when its embers went cool amongst their fellow southern Protestant brethren. It's the South of Fannie Lou Hamer and Angelina Grimke, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Jimmy Carter, who never bought the notion that their homeland is inextricably bound up with the enslavement of fellow human beings, nor the denial of Constitutional rights to those of African descent.

That's what I like to hear!!! Also, you forgot the Greek pearl divers in Florida and the Russian coal miners in Alabama.

Off on a tangent:
And sorry to be a party-crasher but I do have a perception that even some southern leftists have pieces of the southern heritage. And I don't just mean southern accents. One thing I noticed, and I am not picking on you for your nice poem, which I like, is that some of them have a kind of state-ism, proud to represent their state. Let's say there's a rally at the capitol even on some allegedly leftwing political issue like the war- they will have flags saying North-Carolina for X, Texans for X wearing cowboy hats, etc. (I say leftwing because a conservative isolationaist could be antiwar too)- that fits in with the slaveowners' assertion of "States' rights" to resist America's growing anti-slavery sentiments.

The things you mentioned- southern plants, abolitionists, blacks, civil rights leaders, are not restricted to the south. Nor is ethnic prejudice and violence unfortunately. Tobacco, a southern plant, is grown in Pennsylvania and Connecticut, which have clay and humidity. Even southern geography is not limited to the "South"- see eg. southern California.

What defines the borders of the US south is not plantlife, black people, or the civil rights movement, but slavery and the Civil War and segregation that resulted from it.

Since southern California is "south" of Virginia, the term the "South" is a misnomer.

Instead, the "South" should be called the "former Slave States".

Of course, a place that includes Russian coal miners can't be all bad.

All the best.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 07:59:31 PM by rakovsky »

Offline czzham

• ...at work in the sonic Monastery...
  • ...in pursuit of Divine Mystery...
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 03:18:45 PM »
Does anyone here live in South Carolina or North Carolina? If so, what church do you attend?

I lived in the Charleston area for a time, and attended Holy Ascension Orthodox Church in Mt Pleasant.
www.ocacharleston.org
Beautiful temple, wonderful choir, very nice ppl there. .
Non-liturgical lyrics are wasted space between solos.

• Merarches
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »

Jetavan,

That's what I like to hear!!! Also, you forgot the Greek pearl divers in Florida and the Russian coal miners in Alabama.

Off on a tangent:
And sorry to be a party-crasher but I do have a perception that even some southern leftists have pieces of the southern heritage. And I don't just mean southern accents. One thing I noticed, and I am not picking on you for your nice poem, which I like, is that some of them have a kind of state-ism, proud to represent their state. Let's say there's a rally at the capitol even on some allegedly leftwing political issue like the war- they will have flags saying North-Carolina for X, Texans for X wearing cowboy hats, etc. (I say leftwing because a conservative isolationaist could be antiwar too)- that fits in with the slaveowners' assertion of "States' rights" to resist America's growing anti-slavery sentiments.

The things you mentioned- southern plants, abolitionists, blacks, civil rights leaders, are not restricted to the south. Nor is ethnic prejudice and violence unfortunately. Tobacco, a southern plant, is grown in Pennsylvania and Connecticut, which have clay and humidity. Even southern geography is not limited to the "South"- see eg. southern California.

What defines the borders of the US south is not plantlife, black people, or the civil rights movement, but slavery and the Civil War and segregation that resulted from it.

Since southern California is "south" of Virginia, the term the "South" is a misnomer.

Instead, the "South" should be called the "former Slave States".

Of course, a place that includes Russian coal miners can't be all bad.

All the best.

I've been in South Carolina for about 18 years (longer by the way than anywhere else on earth) and I am here to tell you that what distinguishes these parts are:

- sweet tea as the norm
- the most polite city in the world (Charleston) & nice folks everywhere
- greens, fried okra and all other things fried
- shrimp and grits (Charleston's contribution to gastronomy)
- patriotism
- the incomparable summer heat and humidity
- a mild Winter and a gorgeous but short Spring
- respect for old folks and old values
- mountains, lakes, rivers and beaches all within couple of hours
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:14:38 PM by Second Chance »