OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 11:09:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proper times to ring Bells during Liturgy  (Read 845 times) Average Rating: 0
historicus

Faith: Byzantine

« on: August 02, 2010, 02:44:30 PM »

Greetings, and I'd like to thank anyone in advance who is willing to assist me with resolving my dilemma. I have attempted to use the search feature and found some interesting discussions on the topic, including the thread below.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,7401.0.html

However, I am still searching for answers to my question.

A bit of background first:

Our Church bells, the actual cast bells hanging in the tower have not worked for a very long time for a couple reasons, and we have not the funding to repair. Several years ago our Church added the new electronic machines from Verdin to simulate bells, and although not the same, it does have some wonderful potential.

After seeing this device not used properly for a few years I volunteered to manage it, and now find myself with the daunting task of making it work right.

My question is simple:

Is there proper protocol for when they are rung, before - during - and after the Liturgy? And if so, are there also proper peals?

The peals that came with it just do not seem Eastern nor do they seem like the peals our "real" bells played. We did purchase a package suitable, but it contains melodies and chimes traditional in the Ukrainian and Carpatho Rusyn heritage, not necessarily peals, or sequences.

I am certainly able to program the seasonal chimes so they play at the proper times throughout the week given the season, but how I make this device work during the service is now my main objective.

Does anyone know where I can find some literature on the proper bell sequencing for a Divine Liturgy?

Thanks
- h
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:46:19 PM by historicus » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:24:57 PM »

I suppose it varies among jurisdictions/ethnicities and even regions within the same jurisdiction.
Back home we ring them  at the beginning, small entrance, great entrance, consecration and "Axion".
On Easter also at the reading of the Gospel.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:33:48 PM »

At my present parish we don't ring them "on demand," but it is pre-programmed (and it doesn't broadcast inside, so I'm not sure when that is).

At my home parish, we rang the bells at the Doxology and the Consecration.  At the theological school, we rang them 5 minutes (or was it 10?) before each service, then again during the doxology, at the consecration, and at the Apolytikia of Great Vespers, plus additionally at any time we sang the hymn, "Christ is Risen."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:49:56 PM »

In some OCA parishes they are also rung at the end of certain verses of the Creed.

Proverbs 22:7
Stephen Barrow

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »

From the Blagovest Bells website:

http://www.russianbells.com/ringing/typikon-bellringing.pdf

The above PDF explains how they are rung according to the Russian Typikon.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 02:28:41 AM »

At my Church: before the Liturgy, during Creed, during Lord's Prayer.
historicus

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 08:37:12 AM »

I suppose it varies among jurisdictions/ethnicities and even regions within the same jurisdiction.

I very much expect that eventually this will be the final answer; depending on Geography/Culture as opposed to doctrine.

Thank you
historicus

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 08:39:18 AM »

At my present parish we don't ring them "on demand," but it is pre-programmed (and it doesn't broadcast inside, so I'm not sure when that is).

Fr. George, can you elaborate on broadcasting inside? Do you mean electronic chimes?

Our new chimes only broadcast outside as well, and tonight I am attempting to find some inside volume control on the internal amplifier.

thanks Smiley

historicus

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 08:42:22 AM »

From the Blagovest Bells website:

http://www.russianbells.com/ringing/typikon-bellringing.pdf

The above PDF explains how they are rung according to the Russian Typikon.

Outstanding resource.

Many thanks !
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: