OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 11:33:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet Another Pseudo-Ethiopian "Orthodox Church"  (Read 1459 times) Average Rating: 0
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« on: July 30, 2010, 01:48:05 PM »

Pray for the EOTC, which seems to be a magnet for these pseudo-Orthodox types.

I give you the "Ethiopian Orthodox Coptic Church of North and South America", which claims to have been started by His Majesty Haile Selassie and Abune Mikael and to recognize His Holiness Pope Shenouda III and the Ethiopian "Patriarch in Exile" Abune Merkorios as their spiritual, if not administrative heads.

Check the wikipedia page, which seems to have been put together by the group itself after a Q&A between myself, HaileAmmanuel, and one of the leaders of this group, posted publicly in the African Orthodox Churches in America yahoo group back in 2005.

The wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Orthodox_Coptic_Church_of_North_and_South_America

The Q&A can be found in the messages section here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/africanorthodoxchurches/ but I can post it on these boards if anyone is interested.

Here is a video of one of their late leaders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaYl8KZNKco

More on them from the Encyclopedia of Religion about halfway down the page:

http://www.adherents.com/Na/Na_273.html

Their participation in something called the Exorcist Order of St. Michael:

http://www.forministry.com/USMOINDPTEOOSM/ApostolicSuccession.dsp

Their claims of Apostolic lineage:

http://www.independentmovement.us/index.php5?title=Ethiopian_Orthodox_Coptic_Church_of_North_and_South_America

Pray not only for the real Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, but for all of the sincere seekers after Orthodoxy who might be confused and ensnared by all these pseudo-Orthodox bodies utilizing the Ethiopian Orthodox name.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:06:59 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Hiywot

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:55:34 AM »

Almost nobody, here in Ethiopia, I can say, knows about this church. I think this is an old, self standing, church with no Ethiopian membership and is in no way a threat to the EOTC.

Hiywot
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:11:19 AM »

Almost nobody, here in Ethiopia, I can say, knows about this church. I think this is an old, self standing, church with no Ethiopian membership and is in no way a threat to the EOTC.

Hiywot

True, but Americans need to stop doing this kind of stuff. People wonder why there are so many different denominations and religions in the world.....well a good chunk of the reason is because America doesn't regulate who can and can't start a group. America doesn't stop people from hijacking the faith of other people.

Someone today can start a new Mormon group with no connection to the Mormons whatsoever and claim to be the real Mormons of later day Saints. It's wrong, but America allows this sort of nonsense.

Lord Have Mercy!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:12:10 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 01:02:52 AM »

I think a quote from the Coptic divine liturgy is in order:
Yes, we ask Thee, O Christ our God: Confirm the foundation of the Church.

The oneness of the heart in love, may it be rooted in us.

Let the righteousness of faith grow; straighten for us the path of godliness.

The shepherds do Thou control; and those whom they shepherd confirm.

Give dignity to the clergy; asceticism to the monks.

Purity to those in virginity; a virtuous life to those in wedlock.

Mercy to those in repentance; goodness to the rich.

Meekness to the pious; help to the poor.

The elders confirm; the youth instruct.

The unbelievers restore; let the schisms of the Church come to an end.

Strip the vanity of the heretics; and count us all in the unity of righteousness.
May the Lord preserve his Orthodox Church from these schismatic wannabes.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 01:06:30 AM »

I think a quote from the Coptic divine liturgy is in order:
Yes, we ask Thee, O Christ our God: Confirm the foundation of the Church.

The oneness of the heart in love, may it be rooted in us.

Let the righteousness of faith grow; straighten for us the path of godliness.

The shepherds do Thou control; and those whom they shepherd confirm.

Give dignity to the clergy; asceticism to the monks.

Purity to those in virginity; a virtuous life to those in wedlock.

Mercy to those in repentance; goodness to the rich.

Meekness to the pious; help to the poor.

The elders confirm; the youth instruct.

The unbelievers restore; let the schisms of the Church come to an end.

Strip the vanity of the heretics; and count us all in the unity of righteousness.
May the Lord preserve his Orthodox Church from these schismatic wannabes.

As an addicted liturgy-quoter, I must thank you for this. Beautiful prayers.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 01:20:02 AM »

Hiywot

True, but Americans need to stop doing this kind of stuff. People wonder why there are so many different denominations and religions in the world.....well a good chunk of the reason is because America doesn't regulate who can and can't start a group. America doesn't stop people from hijacking the faith of other people.

Someone today can start a new Mormon group with no connection to the Mormons whatsoever and claim to be the real Mormons of later day Saints. It's wrong, but America allows this sort of nonsense.

Believe me, the last thing you want is the government regulating religion.

As to the so-called 'independent' Orthodox and Catholic Churches - the vagante ecclesia, the US has no particular monopoly on the genre. The same can be found on every continent except Antarctica.

And, while I can appreciate the concern that the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahado Church seems particularly beset by such, I assure you that it is nowhere near the saturation level that afflicts the Ukrainian Churches. Ignoring the disputed jurisdictional claims by the jurisdictions that have allegiance to the EP, MP, or KP, there are significant numbers of other Ukrainian ecclesia claiming to be Orthodox.

Edited comments that I once made elsewhere on the Ukrainian phenomenon:

Is it that time again? The annual census of Ukrainian Orthodox ecclesia 

For those unfamiliar with this ritual, it's one performed pretty much annually here. Usually some variant on this query is posed and answered, after which we lament the situation and others chime in with expressions of amazement at the way ecclesia multiply among our Ukrainian brothers.

[Someone] has, however, introduced a new element into it this year - the question of who actually has faithful. In years past, we have not always bothered with that consideration, as it takes some of the fun out of it. ...

With all due respect to my Ukrainian Orthodox brethren, my apologies for seeming to have fun at your expense, but you have to admit that there aren't many other instances in which so many different religious bodies all claim the use of a common styling - Old Catholics being the only ones who come immediately to my mind.

In a later response by me to my remarks, I enumerated 8 that year.

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 01:37:56 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 01:30:49 AM »

As an addicted liturgy-quoter, I must thank you for this. Beautiful prayers.
No problem Smiley

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Protestant Universalist

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 01:52:29 AM »

Yes, that was nice, thanks.
Tags: vagante 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: